Brewista Smart Scale II Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flashpixx View Post
    Possibly sounds worse than it is, steam from hot water in the drip tray is what I was referring to
    Ah ok, so you’re not aiming the steam wand at it like I was picturing then. That’s good. LOL!

A little bit of steam coming off some hot water in the drip tray could still be bad for a set of scales, but I wouldn’t have thought it would kill them too quickly. Maybe it has, but maybe you’ve got a dodgy set of scales too. If they’re not very old you could probably exchange them.

Here’s the no frills set that I use. Hasn’t missed a beat:

Comment

Sent a message to the vendor, they’ve asked for a video of it playing up.... which it hasn’t done since haha...

If I can Ill arrange an exchange

Comment

Exchanged for the Lunar... ouch!!

Comment

One way to avoid any potential issues with a scale on the drip tray is to use an ONA Stem. Not cheap, but clever, well-made and works well. May not suit those small ebay scales such as the one pictured in post #16.

Comment

I imagine you could knock-up something very similar using a 3D printer...

Mal.

Comment

If you've already got a 3D printer, yes. If you've got to pay someone to print, depends on the cost. And on the quality of the print you receive.

As I mentioned in that recent Decent thread (not the long one), a number of people have designed a stand similar to this to work with the DE and the bluetooth Skale 2. I had such a stand printed for me. Wasn't overly cheap, and while it worked, it wasn't the greatest quality. I bought the ONA Stem. Sometimes it's just simpler and easier to pay for quality. If I had a 3D printer, or knew someone who did, I may have stuck with that approach, although it wouldn't have the adjustable height, which is a nice feature.

Comment

You could build something like this. My scales were getting wet ad messy and hard to fit under PF and didn't want to spend heaps on retail adaptor.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes, your device came immediately to mind, very schmick indeed...
                  Several CSers own 3D printers so I imagine it would be something that could be accomplished.

Mal.

Comment

Or put the scale in a transparent lunch bag, ziplock bag or similar.

Comment

Great scales but a little fiddly

Hi Flashpixx - I'm generally happy with the Brewista, given the price point compared to the Acaia. My grinder has the Acaia built in so the grind is taken care of. I sit the Brewista forward of the group head discharge on my ECM Technika, so that a couple of CM hangs over the front edge. Don't have any problems. I use it to time the pre-infusion on Mode 5, then go on to run the espresso but use the PID on the ECM for timing. It all works well.

Like you, though, I find the Mode & Power buttons the wrong way round. They are really small and require a good strong fingernail to activate. The power button is behind the mode button. The mode I use is 5 so don't need to change that, whereas I do need to turn the machine on and off regularly. It is illogical to have these two buttons this way round. On the right hand side the Tare button is at the front and the Timing button at the back. That seems ok but the button size, when fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be, could be a little bigger.

As to reliability, they have been rock solid so far but that is only around 4 weeks. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one here to be curious as to how you are finding the replacement scales ;-)

Comment

Thanks for that. I found it more and more unreliable however I think it got wet once too many times.
                        I do miss the simplicity of the Brewista, the ability to auto-tare without having to auto start another function was very useful, say to auto-tare the bean container before grinding. I still sometimes forget, fortunately the a Tiamo ss cup weights 110.4g haha.
                        Now I’m used to the Lunar it is quicker than the Brewista, and the buttons work without a second thought. However as I weigh the grind output then the extraction, I’m taring manually for each.

Comment

Working...
                        X