Accessory Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessory Storage

I have been looking for something to keep spare portafilters, baskets, distribution tools and other gadgets in, but it seems like there are no such things made specially for baristas.

What do people use? Id like to store things neatly without everything getting all scratched up from banging together in a bag or a food storage container.. (or getting covered in dust from sitting all over my bench!)

I just dedicated a section of a nearby under-counter cupboard and an underutilised lower drawer next to that cupboard...
    This involved some negotiation with my lovely lady but in the end, the prospect of a cleaner, tidier benchtop won the day.
    Benchtop remains clean, tidy and organised.

Mal.

Comment

What about something likethe stainless drawer sets like the rancillio ones?
      https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...o-drawer-base/
      And sit machine on top
      First thing that came to mind, pricey but shiney

Comment

Good idea - but i think those drawers only support smaller depth machines
        Ive been tossing up whether or not to get a grinds drawer for my grinder to further declutter the bench.

I was more looking at a kind of soft kit like you might have for spanners or screwdrivers or a toolbox kind of arrangement. Im really suprised no one has made something like this, especially for all those baristas who travel around competing

Comment

Hmmm...

The only time I dragged out the toolkit was when scheduled maintenance was carried out.
          Never saw a need to keep them particularly handy as such...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
            Hmmm...

The only time I dragged out the toolkit was when scheduled maintenance was carried out.
            Never saw a need to keep them particularly handy as such...

Mal.
            I more meant a tool kit style thing but for portafilters and baskets

Comment

Originally posted by Cats View Post
              I more meant a tool kit style thing but for portafilters and baskets
              Don't really know what you are referring to mate.
              Never had any tools as such for these...

Mal.

Comment

Im proably not doing a great job of explaining it.. but then again it doesnt seem to exist.
                Maybe think of something like this:
                https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/decent-tamper-kit
                Crossed with something like this:
                https://www.amazon.com.au/VonHaus-Ca...62479818&psc=1

Im talking about storage for accessories, not actual tools to modify portafilters

Comment

The Decent Kit is definitely high quality and would last you a lifetime, so that offsets the price a bit.
                  I s'pose you could always make up your own via a small valise with foam inserts inside that you could cut to shape.

Not sure what else there is really...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats View Post
                    I have been looking for something to keep spare portafilters, baskets, distribution tools and other gadgets in, but it seems like there are no such things made specially for baristas.

What do people use? Id like to store things neatly without everything getting all scratched up from banging together in a bag or a food storage container.. (or getting covered in dust from sitting all over my bench!)
                    G'day Cats

I had a similar problem. FYI, the Decent DE1 espresso machine also comes in its own suitcase (a sort of scaled up version of the decent tamper kit). It works well enough to pack & move the whole thing in a few minutes.

The soft solutions I found for tampers et al were always the wrong shape.

I ended up buying ($10, fleamarket) an empty DeWalt case (think briefcase size) with the intention of storing some of my DeWalt drills and impact drivers in it. Then inspiration struck. I build a mini platform for all the stray coffee bits out of a flexible bit of plastic, sprayed about 10% of a can of Soudal expanding foam in the DeWalt case and then placed the platform on top before it set (about a ten minute window). The foam moulded to the underside of the platform. I then did the same thing to the lid (i.e. another flexible plastic layer above the bits), sprayed the expanding foam into the "empty lid" (guessed the amount, about 5% of the can) closed the lid and waited for fifteen minutes until the foam sorted itself out.

End result - all those bits fit perfectly... pity I bought a few more bits later(i.e. a couple of larger milk jugs) so they are still running free.

If I had a spare drawer, I could do the same thing in a drawer. The great thing about that foam (apart from a 10x plus expansion rate) is that I can just pull it out of the bottom of the DeWalt case and cut a few more bits out of it later. That particular expanding foam doesn't seem to stick to anything except itself - oh, and it is structural to a surprising degree.

I hope this helps.

TampIt
                    Last edited by TampIt; 14 December 2019, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X