Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Pavoni Lever units

just curious about these lp lever units
    is there a discernible difference in extraction from one of these?
    what made owners by them
    i must admit the idea of actually pulling, literally, a shot had my curiosity
    an i have a problem collecting machines
    so curious to hear from lever owners the how why an day to day what are they like?
    seems to be a strong following on stalkbook

I've got an e61 DB and a La Pavoni (romantica) and I reckon I use the La Pavoni 90% of the time. I really only turn on the other machine if I'm doing more than a couple of coffees in a go (most of the time I'm just making a coffee for myself) or I just haven't used it for a while.

I just love the simplicity, process, manual feel and silence when pulling a shot.. It's fun to use. Really easy to maintain. And it looks amazing in the kitchen (the romantica has wooden handles and a FREAKIN EAGLE on the top!)

In terms of what you get in the cup of I'd say it varies a bit more than a super temperature stable machine that hits the same pressure every time. But that's part of the fun. The La Pavoni's temperature will vary depending on how long you've had it on for and how many shots you've pulled. If you're only doing a shot for yourself then that's not a problem (though there are tricks to use of you need to do more). Obviously you can also try and do some pressure profiling. I've never had a bad shot from the La Pavoni, but you get the occasional AMAZING shot and you might not know exactly how you did it!

Comment

I have an Oympia Cremina which is a manual lever pull like the La Pavoni and I can report that the shot quality is consistently better than my Profitec Pro (and my previous Giotto HX). I seem to detect a greater range of flavours .

The Cremina and reportedly the LP are a bit more finicky about shot preparation, requiring you to apply a consistent technique. Once you have that nailed, you don't look back.
      Very quick boiler warm up but you need to use the lever to pump a bit of water through the grouphead to warm it up. You can only pull a couple of shots before the head gets too hot requiring you to switch it off for a while (or wrap a cold wet cloth around it). Along with a small tank, they aren't really suitable for high volume coffee needs or for someone who prefers no fuss.

Comment

Gorgeous little machines- though I agree with Flynn in that they're often only good for a couple of shots before they get a tad warm. If you nail it on prep and technique, godshots aplenty...

I have a Cremina as well. Stunning and with incredible internal build.

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
          Gorgeous little machines- though I agree with Flynn in that they're often only good for a couple of shots before they get a tad warm. If you nail it on prep and technique, godshots aplenty...

I have a Cremina as well. Stunning and with incredible internal build.
          You had me at Godshot!

Comment

Never thought of the cremina an saw one recently in fs
            Bugger!

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo View Post
              Bugger!
              Other manual levers to consider are the Electra Micro casa, Arrarex Caravel, Ponte Vecchio Lusso and the non-electric types such as the ROK and the Flair.

Comment

Bugger!
                We have a Cremina and an Electra Micro Casa.
                Both produce stunning coffee's, both are keepers.
                The Cremina is capable of more extraction parameter control than the Electra (because you are limited by the strength of the spring in the Electra).
                The Cremina doesn't use a spring, (extraction pressure is controlled by how hard you push the lever down).
                You can get more intense extractions and more controlled pressure variation from a Cremina.

I've never heard of a Cremina owner that isn't totaly in love with their machine.

Comment

I've had my LP Pro since 2017. I had a Silvia prior to that. I have 2 coffee-making sessions per day, in which I either make a weak latte and an espresso, or a weak latte and strong latte. The machine performs brilliantly. So simple, quick to heat up and wow, does it produce a good shot. It's also fun to use.

The only improvement it needs is a more-easily-cleaned steam wand. See here: https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...eamer-mod.html

Mine doesn't have the eagle, or the wooden bits, but it still looks good on the bench. Worth every penny.

Gonzo

Comment

I have had my Europiccola for around three years but only just got it up and running in the last 6 months or so.
                    I love it, for me the main benefit is that I am home by myself during the week so I was firing up the Splendor 2 or 3 times a day to make just one cup and then switching off. As much as I love my Splendor I started looking at something that was a bit smaller to heat up if I was only making one coffee.
                    It is perfect on hot days like today where you already have enough heat in the house.

Also not being the techy type at all I can at least change parts and seals on it myself so that was a huge bonus for me.

Comment

Originally posted by IrisGanache View Post
                      I have had my Europiccola for around three years but only just got it up and running in the last 6 months or so.
                      I love it, for me the main benefit is that I am home by myself during the week so I was firing up the Splendor 2 or 3 times a day to make just one cup and then switching off. As much as I love my Splendor I started looking at something that was a bit smaller to heat up if I was only making one coffee.
                      It is perfect on hot days like today where you already have enough heat in the house.

Also not being the techy type at all I can at least change parts and seals on it myself so that was a huge bonus for me.
                      LP and a Splendor! Nice!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info and feedback,
                        Looks like one of these should go on my collection list

Or two....

Thanks guys n gals appreciate it.
                        Ps anyone got a broken one let me know

Comment

LP and a Splendor! Nice!
                          Thanks.
                          I am really happy with them both.