Clear All

• Coffee puck sticking! Help!

https://ibb.co/4VRxk7k
    https://ibb.co/XzGxjfX
    https://ibb.co/fNFgSkD
    https://ibb.co/vc4sTkp
    https://ibb.co/L6GGWgQ
    https://ibb.co/8gzBy0s

Hi team CS! First time poster here sorry if I miss any etiquettes etc.
    Have been enjoying digesting all your knowledge to try and improve my coffee technique.
    Unfortunately having an issue with the puck getting stuck and hoping you could help!

The details...
    Sunbeam EM7100, Breville grinder pro.
    Fresh (<2w beans from Change/Symmetry Roaster)
    Using standard sunbeam single walled, double basket. Apparently 16g?
    Using 5c test, it takes about 18-19g...I can’t see that you could ever use 16g and still achieve a slight imprint, unless it was super coarse!? Or am I over tamping?
    Pour length of 30-35s inc preinfuse (about 3secs).
    Puck is firm, fully wetted.
    Coffee tastes pretty good (but always keen to make it even better!) and I’d be all happy if it wasn’t for the puck sticking to the shower screen.
    Refer photos.
    Albeit the coffee in this photo was a little overfilled, so was a little over extracted.
    I tried a series of experiments....coarser, less coffee, finer, more coffee etc...best taste was as per my settings but it just sticks (most times).
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance legends.

Based on the third photo you are over dosing. Ideally there will be the faintest mark of the 5c piece or even move at all. That looks like almost the full thickness of the 5c piece.

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Rudiger.

Sounds to me like you may be over filling the basket and it's contacting the shower screen.

Just checked your pics, quite an imprint of the coin in the puck, should only just be a very light mark, try reducing your dose by a gram and see how you fare, if needs be you can grind a tad finer to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
        Based on the third photo you are over dosing. Ideally there will be the faintest mark of the 5c piece or even move at all. That looks like almost the full thickness of the 5c piece.
        Yep that was one of my trials with a little more, my usual dosing is just below the 5c piece or just kissing it. I put that one in, as i’d read in other posts that it was because they were underdosing and had soggy pucks.
        Unfortunately it didn’t seem to help reducing by a gram, and still sticks .

Nevertheless, will try going a whole gram less and go a little finer again for a few a days and see what my hit rate is like for stuck pucks. Thanks!
        Last edited by Rudiger; 16th February 2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Shouldn't be "kissing it" there is a solution, I owned a Silvia for many years, yep, early on experienced similar due to over dosing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            Shouldn't be "kissing it" there is a solution, I owned a Silvia for many years, yep, early on experienced similar due to over dosing.
            whoops typo, meant to say just kissing the 5c piece not the screen (now edited). But sounds like I’ve been overdosing regardless. Will report back!

Comment

My puck sticks more often if I leave the pf in the group for a little while. I now remove it almost immediately after the shot.
              Also, if you unlock pf, and tilt it and drag it across the screen, it will knock the puck off the screen and back into the pf. So there is a technique to reduce it also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
                My puck sticks more often if I leave the pf in the group for a little while. I now remove it almost immediately after the shot.
                Also, if you unlock pf, and tilt it and drag it across the screen, it will knock the puck off the screen and back into the pf. So there is a technique to reduce it also.
                Good one! I will try removing asap more often(had been texturing milk at the same time) and will try the technique, which is fundamentally how I’ve been removing them when stuck! - out of interest, could it be a machine issue? I.e too much back pressure when it drains after the shot? Suspect not, I’m sure it’s just my technique!

Note I have had a few coffees now with 16g (well below screen) and finer grind. Still stuck so over dosing doesn’t seem to be the root cause.

thanks all for the helpful tips.

Comment

Puck sticking

I’m a bit stuck (no pun intended)

La marzocco GS3 AV that I’ve had over 7 months now and in the last three months nearly every shot when I remove the portafilter, the puck is stuck to the shower screen. I don’t know what changed as I still roast the same beans the same way. I’ve played around with some preinfusion settings on the machine and that’s all I have changed since taking ownership.

Machine set up
                  GS3AV
                  VST 18g basket dosed to 17.5 - 18grams
                  Eureka atom grinder

I’ve tried numerous things like underdosing etc and used many different beans but I can get it to stop.

The first 4 months the pucks were fantastic but they are getting quite soggy since they are sticking.

Any ideas?

Comment

The obvious first question is how do the shots taste but I know what a nuisance a sticky puck can be.

You say it only started happening 3 months ago. Can you think what might have changed at that time?

In my experience, sticky pucks are caused by soggy pucks and soggy pucks can be caused by:

Underdosing - the most likely cause.
                    Incorrect grind
                    Bean type (stay with me here, I have informally observed certain bean types may be more prone to sticking but needs further investigation to determine whether this is more of a grinding problem when moving from one bean to another which requires a large adjustment)

So I would start by increasing the dose. Also, try the original LM baskets instead.

Comment

Another possible cause is the shower screen being dirty. I would suggest removing it and soaking in some boiling water with Cafetto powder dissolved in it. Easy enough to try and if it works then you know you need to do this aporox. every 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                        Another possible cause is the shower screen being dirty. I would suggest removing it and soaking in some boiling water with Cafetto powder dissolved in it. Easy enough to try and if it works then you know you need to do this aporox. every 3 months.
                        Good observation, I back flush mine weekly.

Comment

Thanks. I’ll go back to the LM baskets and see.

I water back flush everything day and chemical every week and every second week remove the shower screen so doubt it will be the cleanliness.

I’ll keep going as besides the pre infusion and some temp changes 0.5celsius there has been no changes which surprises me.

Comment

You are under dosing.
                            Lm in particular for this. When the shots stop, and the pressurised water gets vented out, it will vacuum at the group pulling the puck up and it will stay on the shower screen when you pull out your handle.
                            Also soggy pucks point to the same.
                            The flavour though, how is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rudiger View Post
                              https://ibb.co/4VRxk7k
                              https://ibb.co/XzGxjfX
                              https://ibb.co/fNFgSkD
                              https://ibb.co/vc4sTkp
                              https://ibb.co/L6GGWgQ
                              https://ibb.co/8gzBy0s

Hi team CS! First time poster here sorry if I miss any etiquettes etc.
                              Have been enjoying digesting all your knowledge to try and improve my coffee technique.
                              Unfortunately having an issue with the puck getting stuck and hoping you could help!

The details...
                              Sunbeam EM7100, Breville grinder pro.
                              Fresh (<2w beans from Change/Symmetry Roaster)
                              Using standard sunbeam single walled, double basket. Apparently 16g?
                              Using 5c test, it takes about 18-19g...I can’t see that you could ever use 16g and still achieve a slight imprint, unless it was super coarse!? Or am I over tamping?
                              Pour length of 30-35s inc preinfuse (about 3secs).
                              Puck is firm, fully wetted.
                              Coffee tastes pretty good (but always keen to make it even better!) and I’d be all happy if it wasn’t for the puck sticking to the shower screen.
                              Refer photos.
                              Albeit the coffee in this photo was a little overfilled, so was a little over extracted.
                              I tried a series of experiments....coarser, less coffee, finer, more coffee etc...best taste was as per my settings but it just sticks (most times).
                              Any ideas?

Thanks in advance legends.
                              G'day Rudiger

I lived with a SB7000 (more or less the same beastie) from 2014 to Feb 2018. I replaced the standard baskets after one trial shot and went back to my ridgeless VSTs, however the "stick to the showerscreens" puck happens with any basket. BTW, the 16g SB is best at circa 16g (extensive testing on a mate's 7100). If higher dosing tastes better there are only two options I can think of "on the fly" - your are grinding too coarse (by a tad) or your grinder does not have an even enough particle spread to deliver. Smartgrinders are moderately inconsistent - most work really well, a few others just don't & wont (just like EM480s).

Noting the comments about too fine / soggy pucks - mostly those 7000 pucks will not stick to the showerscreens (yep, there are 2 of them, just like a lot of so called "upmarket" machines") due to this. Unlike a lot of other machines, on standard settings the 7000 preinfuses for a few (4?) seconds. Any soggy puck will just fall out (mostly) of the p/f. Sometimes there is a small residual on the lower showerscreen. Post flushing a 2 showerscreen setup after every shot is essential!

It is easy to make the puck stick - just fail to clean said showerscreens properly. After about 3 months (sound familiar) there is a little buildup which can only be seen under magnification - and the pucks stick. I used to use it as a maintenance guide - did I forget to clean the showerscreens lately? - Yep - the puck stuck. BTW, just put the (mostly clean) p/f back in loosely, hit any of the shot buttons briefly and the puck will come out "fairly cleanly". Then clean the SOB showerscreens properly (see below).

The only success I had with really grungy ones (i.e. brought in by Caffetto users or "never cleaned them" idiots) were either an ultrasonic "jewellery cleaner" (BTW, Aldi have them cheap at the moment - as usual after I bought a more expensive one - sigh) or soak them in Toluene overnight (totally sealed container / outside in well vented area / definitely nowhere near kids). Even CLR or Meths does not clean the bad ones. Repeat with the more gentle options every two month or so and the problem evaporates.

Enjoy your cuppa

TampIt

Comment

Working...
                              X