Coffee puck sticking! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rusty888 View Post
    Thanks. I’ll go back to the LM baskets and see.

I water back flush everything day and chemical every week and every second week remove the shower screen so doubt it will be the cleanliness.

I’ll keep going as besides the pre infusion and some temp changes 0.5celsius there has been no changes which surprises me.

G'day rusty888

GS3 specific - backflushing may be pulling the spare grounds up into the rest of the GS3 - mine used to do that really, really well.

I used the more brutal cleaning method (see my above post to OP) a couple of times as nothing else would work. I even fully flushed the whole system out a couple of times. One of the many reasons (besides being broke "post messy divorce") I did not replace mine when I came back to Oz.

I have posted about a taste test - pull an empty shot into a "tasteless container" (i.e. glass, borosilicate) that you can seal. Let it cool to room temp. Compare it to the same water you started with. Any taint / taste difference and that will be in any cuppa you pull... and some of those I tried over the years were pretty awful...

Enjoy your cuppa

TampIt

Comment

Thanks TampIt!
      After some more tinkering, I’m now dosing 16-16.5g, 25s pour and the flavour is definitely better and much more rounded (not bitter or sour)! With 16g and after tamping the puck sits a little low (a mm or two) from a 5c test perspective, perhaps I’m tamping too hard(?), but hey my coffee tastes great and it’s not sticking as often! Winning!

Hadn’t thought to clear puck with a flush, I’d been doing the pf scrape technique. That’s a great idea.

With cleaning, I flush after every shot, and then also wipe with a cloth- is this 2nd part a bad idea (spread the oils or clog the ss or something?).
      I also aim to do a short backflush with water every day or two and group head clean with cafetto tabs weekly.
      I’ve only had the machine for about 6weeks so haven’t had to do anything more severe yet(like unscrew and clean the shower screen).

Also, with the VST ridgeless; I hear mixed messages on these forums, some seam to love it others hate it- did you find it was a good match for your EM7000? Should I “upgrade”?

Thanks again for all the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudiger View Post
        With 16g and after tamping the puck sits a little low (a mm or two) from a 5c test perspective, perhaps I’m tamping too hard(?), but hey my coffee tastes great and it’s not sticking as often! Winning!

I also aim to do a short backflush with water every day or two and group head clean with cafetto tabs weekly.
        Being 1-2mm low on the 5c test is absolutely fine. Being 1-2mm high is a problem.

You should be backflushing with water until clear after every coffee making session. Make 1 coffee, backflush. Make 10 coffees, backflush.

Comment

Working...
        X