Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acaia Lunar or Pearl. Are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• level3ninja
    replied
    Are you flushing hot water through it prior to weighing? Water can hang about under the basket even after shaking, banging, and drying the basket thoroughly. Quite a bit actually. If you are I suggest removing the basket and drying thoroughly in the portafilter as well. See if that fixes it.

Leave a comment:

• FilthySudo
    replied
    Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
    What are you using to know it's out?

If you're a buy once, cry once sort of person the Acaia line up will definitely work. If you want value for every single dollar you'll be best to buy a cheaper one off fleabay.
    Unsure if it's out, but weird that I weigh my portafilter every single day and the dry weight of it keeps varying from 446.5 down to 445.8. Which to me for a $100 decent enough scales should be more accurate than this

Leave a comment:

• Yelta
    replied
    I bought a cheap scale off the Bay about 8 years ago (from memory paid about $10) still going strong, check it now and again with a 25 gram weight from a set of gem scales, always spot on, if/when they fail will replace with similar.

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    What are you using to know it's out?

If you're a buy once, cry once sort of person the Acaia line up will definitely work. If you want value for every single dollar you'll be best to buy a cheaper one off fleabay.

Leave a comment:

• FilthySudo
    replied
    Originally posted by luca View Post
    Can you recalibrate it with a calibration weight?
    I'll google it soon and see if I can. If not Ive already sent an email off to alternative brewing about the issue

Leave a comment:

• luca
    replied
    Can you recalibrate it with a calibration weight?

Leave a comment:

• FilthySudo
    replied
    Yeah unfortunately when taring off my pf on my brewista it has been out by almost a couple grams give or take so my shots are inconsistent

Leave a comment:

• luca
    replied
    What do you want to use them for?

I’ve got the lunar. Basically, it looks pretty, is quite water resistant and has some smart features. The smart features were marginally useful when I was trying to pressure profile with the Vesuvius, but generally those features are more trouble than they are worth ... the apps are pretty clunky and I don’t think that they’re very friendly to third party developers, so I don’t think we’ll be seeing much improvement. Most espresso machines now seem to have shot timers, so the benefit of that is pretty dubious.

So ... worth it? Pretty hard to justify in my mind. I mean, it’s a great piece of kit, it looks fantastic and it’s nice not to worry about it getting wet, but you could probably buy two or three good small scales from eBay for less than a quarter of the price and always have a spare or two on hand in case you wet one and screwed it up. If you’re using it in a cafe, different story - the water resistance is probably something that will inevitably save time and money.

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    I've had a Lunar for nearly 3 years, hasn't missed a beat. I picked up a Smart Scale 2 on the cheap a that or so ago and had a play with side by side with the Lunar for a week or so before passing it on to a friend. I found it to be very consistent, albeit it was usually 0.1g different to the Lunar (I think it was always 0.1g lower, whether or was higher or lower it was consistent). I found it to be slightly slower response-wise, but the bumpy buttons were easier to hit first go in a morning rush. I tell people the Smart Scale 2 is as good as you'll ever need and much better value than an Acaia, but if you value the user experience and money isn't am issue then the Lunar is more polished.

If you do get one pick up a silicone micro USB plug (to block the hole), to stop and stray grounds getting in. Should come with one in the box but I think it cost me $1 to get 3 delivered to my door from China.

Leave a comment:

• FilthySudo
    started a topic Acaia Lunar or Pearl. Are they worth it?

Acaia Lunar or Pearl. Are they worth it?

Currently looking into a more reliable/accurate pair of scales
    I own the Brewista Smart scale 2 but Find it's consistency sub-par for its $100 price tag. Is it worth the investment into a acaia scale? If so where is the best place to purchase? And should I wait till a certain period of the year for a sale. Don't mind waiting!
Working...
X