Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Filtration -Awesome water

Hi

Our house has had a water cooler with replaceable filters for years. ( it improved our hydration levels due to not having to constantly fill up the water jug.)

We use an awesome water filter

I am curious if those filters would reduce scaling potential for an espresso machine's boiler.- the documentation is rather scant, but i think they don't really change calcium levels. Any input welcomed.

I do have a plan B, involving something like an under bench install of a brita c150 finest or quell, but thought i would ask the question first. Cheers Darryl
    Last edited by Javaphile; 6th March 2020, 09:52 AM. Reason: Commercial link removed

You would have to check with them. They talk about adding minerals to the water in 2 different stages, and at least one of them is adding calcium to the water. Whether they have first removed all scale minerals and whether they are adding the right amount back needs a much more specific answer than that link provides.

Comment

thanks ninja and mal, i will try and get a spec sheet off them. i also find it disappointing when motor oil manufacturers dont quantify something like ZDDP content. cheers Darryl

Comment

The company in question did respond to my enquiry ( which was nice of them) Very politely they said they couldn't provide specs for calcium etc and suggested i pursue a coffee purposed filter. So question answered.
        I am now have the dilemma of getting a small rainwater tank or to get a brita C150 finest system, unless some others have known good suggestions. I am on Sunshine Coast Qld, tap water quality is good with Av 62 mg/l TDS - so reasonable for preventing scale build up.

Comment

Best advice I can offer is to contact Bombora/Fridge Filters Australia and request assistance directly from them.
          They will probably offer to test your mains water 'free of charge' to be certain of the exact make-up of the water delivered to your household, so that they can recommend the most suitable filter system to suit your situation.

Worth doing in my opinion and they are good people to go with it...

Mal.

Comment

Hi, what machine will you be using the filtered water with?

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, lost in my own little world of late. Thanks Mal, i visited that site and will give them a buzz and discuss.

TekcoR, i am a month or two off upgrading, and have been eyeing off Dual boilers. Right now i am just waiting for the crem one 2b rlfpp to hit the shelves in Australia- to consider it alongside a Profitec Pro 700 / ECM Synkronica - or a Izzy Duo.

I haven't had a chance to test drive any of these as yet , so interested in feeling the difference between valves and knobs, milk texturing power and different profiling mechanisms.

Getting back to water quality. My current 8 year old Breville DB - has had one descale and uses dechlorinated tap water- but i have lived in very good water quality areas.

cheers Darryl

Comment

Had a quick look at that machine, pretty neat! $$

Plumbing in? I suggest BWT Bestmax Premium. Designed for coffee.

Watertank? I suggest BWT jug with their filter cartridge also designed for tea and coffee (I use this. Hard to find in Australia but I bought it from a site sponsor that stocks it and it fits an older Brita water tank that I keep in the fridge so I didn't have to get the BWT jug, but it would be a cheap one off). They even confirm "calcium, extraneous particles and chlorine are filtered out." unlike Brita which avoids mentioning anything about calcium.

I don't know about Awesome filters, but I wouldn't chance it.

BWT is apparently Europe's best water filtration company. Medical, biotech, hospitals to home use.

Comment

Working...
                X