X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TampIt
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackster View Post
    Pesado is domed bottom, vst is flat. Vst suggest a flat tamper, not sure about pesado.
    Will be interesting to see how grind setting differ between the two
    G'day Jackster (How's it going?), Pesado

Yep, a flat based tamper is (almost) essential.

Further to the grind question:

VSTs need a grind about 1/3 finer than traditional espresso grind to really unlock their performance. IF your grinder is up to that, it will have a much higher extraction ratio (i.e. flavour whack) and also be a lot clearer and cleaner in the cuppa. If your grinder cannot grind that fine with an even particle spread it will be too bitter at that grind long before you can unlock that extra flavour strength and clarity. Hopefully your grinder is the first type... in which case you will never look back.

Also, at least at first, dosing within +/- 1.0g of 22g will allow you to work out the correct grinding texture a lot quicker.

Enjoy your cuppa - the rest is secondary.

TampIt

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    Pesado is domed bottom, vst is flat. Vst suggest a flat tamper, not sure about pesado.
    Will be interesting to see how grind setting differ between the two

Leave a comment:

• redrich2000
    started a topic VST v Pesado baskets?

VST v Pesado baskets?

I've been using a 22g Pesado basket for a while now. I recently found a guy selling brand new VST baskets at wholesale prices (and heaps of other stuff, I also got a hario server) on gumtree from north of Brisbane. His wife ran a coffee business but passed away recently so he's selling off the stock.

But anyway, I've always wanted to try VST so ordered a 22g basket and I'm wondering how it's likely to differ from the Pesado? I normal dose 22-24g in aiming for around 44g out in a Sunbeam EM7000 and Rocky. Should I be dosing the VST the same? Any other differences to be aware of?
Working...
X