Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rami
    replied
    Am finding it hard to find a naked portafilter for the breville. Not sure I want to get a custom one if I am going to change machines later on.

best bet is to find a normal one and convert it.

Leave a comment:

• Rami
    replied
    Need to buy me some yoghurt then.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    The Weiss Distribution Technique

Leave a comment:

• Rami
    replied
    Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
    I would stop the vertical tapping that you’re doing as that has been shown to cause migration of fines and poor top to bottom distribution. A single vertical tap on the bench to settle the mound followed by a few taps on the side with your hand is recommended to get the best distribution with adding to the process with a distributor or the WDT or something. Most of the latest research is showing that the best distribution involves stirring the grounds using WDT or similar so there’s some new distribution tools out there and due to be released that will attempt to systemise this method. Other than minimising the vertical tapping the other things you should avoid are touch the grounds with your hand/finger or over filling then swiping the top off the mound with a finger or knife. Both of these have been shown to create uneven distribution.
    So I did everything wrong ?

whats WDT

Leave a comment:

• LeroyC
    replied
    Originally posted by Rami View Post
    I over filled the basket tapped a few times, spread the mount to the edges, tapped a few times again, used my finger as a scraper, tamped. When I tap the coffee visibly sinks into the filter. I can go several times until the coffee stops sinking
    I would stop the vertical tapping that you’re doing as that has been shown to cause migration of fines and poor top to bottom distribution. A single vertical tap on the bench to settle the mound followed by a few taps on the side with your hand is recommended to get the best distribution with adding to the process with a distributor or the WDT or something. Most of the latest research is showing that the best distribution involves stirring the grounds using WDT or similar so there’s some new distribution tools out there and due to be released that will attempt to systemise this method. Other than minimising the vertical tapping the other things you should avoid are touch the grounds with your hand/finger or over filling then swiping the top off the mound with a finger or knife. Both of these have been shown to create uneven distribution.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by FNQ View Post
    Dave Corbey ( well respected reviewer of all things coffee in uk) did some comparisons with a vibratory distribution tool gadget and a more normal twisty one on another website. ( I won't post link just in case it is not permitted in our forum rules. )He sprinkled a line of salt on top of his mound of coffee in the portafilter. The twisty distribution tool did very little, the new prototype gadget both distributed and collapsed the mound very well to the extent he even tested a few shots untamped.. I won't be getting a normal type of distribution tool on my benchtop but if the prototype vibrating tool comes onto the market i would be tempted.
    I’ve seen that or a similar video, they’ll be the new craze for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Rami
    replied
    I over filled the basket tapped a few times, spread the mount to the edges, tapped a few times again, used my finger as a scraper, tamped.

When I tap the coffee visibly sinks into the filter. I can go several times until the coffee stops sinking

Leave a comment:

• FNQ
    replied
    Dave Corbey ( well respected reviewer of all things coffee in uk) did some comparisons with a vibratory distribution tool gadget and a more normal twisty one on another website. ( I won't post link just in case it is not permitted in our forum rules. )He sprinkled a line of salt on top of his mound of coffee in the portafilter. The twisty distribution tool did very little, the new prototype gadget both distributed and collapsed the mound very well to the extent he even tested a few shots untamped.. I won't be getting a normal type of distribution tool on my benchtop but if the prototype vibrating tool comes onto the market i would be tempted.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    I’ve never used one, so maybe that disqualifies me from commenting. I have considered one though and done a lot of research. They will only be useful if you don’t already have a replicable distribution technique in your workflow. They are cleaner than hand distribution and maybe quicker depending on your method, so if they’re qualities you’re after the it could be useful to you. They are not a magic fix though and you won’t automatically start pulling ‘god shots’ just because you have a $300 distribution tool. You still need to have decent distribution into your portafilter. Some people swear by them, some people would never use one. You will see most people who recommend them have heavy disclaimers that they ‘may or may not make a difference’.

Leave a comment:

• sam678
    replied
    To get more consistent shots requires examining your workflow and controlling the variables. Only change one variable at a time. Usually the grind is the variable that needs adjusting.

I don’t know the Breville Touch but there are Breville users on the forum who may be able to address specific issues related to your setup.

Yes, a distribution tool will help control your distribution variable. That may or may not be an issue with the consistency of your shots, but one less variable to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• Rami
    replied
    Originally posted by sam678 View Post
    Their worth can only be measured by knowing if there is a problem with your distribution you are trying to solve.

I have seen 54mm CDT on Amazon.
    I don’t know. That is the issue. I don’t get consistent coffee and it taste on par or a notch less than the one at the cafe. It is one of many variables that can be the reason

Leave a comment:

• sam678
    replied
    Their worth can only be measured by knowing if there is a problem with your distribution you are trying to solve.

I have seen 54mm CDT on Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• Rami
    replied
    Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
    I’m not sure that there’s any 54mm ones available.
    Assuming there is.

are they worth it?

Leave a comment:

• LeroyC
    replied
    I’m not sure that there’s any 54mm ones available.

Leave a comment:

• Rami
    replied
    Sheesh. For some reason I can’t navigate this place at all.
    thanks for the repoint.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X