Ideas for building a knock drawer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for building a knock drawer

I’ve been using this cabinet as my coffee station for a couple of years. I’ve been thinking of. Inverting one of the top drawers to a knock drawer to do away with the knock tube on the bench (more space for gear then). Just wondered if anyone has done something like this or has suggestions for how? I guess the fact that the drawer is wood I would need to think about how moisture from the steaming puck might be an issue. I’d also need to reinforce the drawer somehow so that I don’t just smash the bottom of the drawer into pieces.
    Attached Files

I think your concern about the moisture is well founded. If it's in a drawer, there's going to be the potential for mould formation.

Using a bench top knock box, the moisture can readily evaporate and the grounds are usually dry after a few hours. I probably wouldn't do the in drawer option unless you could commit to emptying it every day.

Comment

Could you recess a knock box into the top of the bench?

​​
      Ive not personally done it but I've seen it in some commercial settings, jug rinser on L knock box on R of machine.

Cheers

Comment

If you're closing the drawer with the coffee pucks inside, I'd bet that they are gonna get furry real quick. Ours only take a day or 2 in the small compost caddy to get that way.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
          I’ve been using this cabinet as my coffee station for a couple of years. I’ve been thinking of. Inverting one of the top drawers to a knock drawer to do away with the knock tube on the bench (more space for gear then). Just wondered if anyone has done something like this or has suggestions for how? I guess the fact that the drawer is wood I would need to think about how moisture from the steaming puck might be an issue. I’d also need to reinforce the drawer somehow so that I don’t just smash the bottom of the drawer into pieces.
          I can see the logic in the idea, as others have commented, used pucks enclosed in a wooden drawer seem to be an ideal environment for mould growth.

Emptying daily would probably solve the problem.?

Comment

Originally posted by SanderP View Post
            Could you recess a knock box into the top of the bench?

​​
            Ive not personally done it but I've seen it in some commercial settings, jug rinser on L knock box on R of machine.

Cheers
            This is the direction I'd go in... Though you wouldn't save much bench space.

I've seen setups where a rectangular cut-out on the bench, with a metal knock bar, sits above a drawer - this way the pucks at least have ventilation through the cut-out. You'd have to line the drawer of course, and mould could still be an issue. You also may not want to go cutting into the bench top as it's likely to be a composite rather than solid wood - so any moisture inside could be very bad news.

​​​​​​​One other option to save some space is a metal drawer style knock box sitting under the grinder. You'll still have the same potential issues with ventilation and mould, but at least it's purpose made and can be cleaned more thoroughly.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think I’ll just leave the idea be and perhaps go with a metal knock drawer or a free standing tube at some point.

Comment

What about using a plastic or stainless insert that you can take out and clean thoroughly? We all know how hard coffee grinds and oils are to clean. Drawer might be do-able but more difficult to manoeuvre when needed to clean.

Comment

Working...
                X