Nurri BMS barista station?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurri BMS barista station?

Hi guys, thinking of importing one of these to try out, any one has experience with it? if so could I get some feedbacks?
    So its a 3-step process barista station: weighing/dosing, distribution via vibration, tamping with force measurement.

If this works out well it could save us from getting a scale, distribution tools, and im selling my pugpress.
    Here a video of Antonio Nurri demonstrating it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTS4CUKx0k
    Attached Files

Don't imagine any or many have their made their way down under. However I think Dave Corby has been using the same distributor stand alone, if you have a look at his videos on YouTube he has a review of the distributor.

Comment

Can’t imagine they would be cheap

Comment

It looks like there are still a lot of lumps in the coffee even after the distribution tool. Looks to me to be a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

Just watched that video. The scales were jumping around and seemed to struggle to get a definitive weight. I’d be concerned about that and potentially having them never work properly. Also, that vibration distribution tool seems to move the coffee into an uneven distribution. As in, it’s not level when you pull it out, there’s more coffee to one side. It’s apparent inDave Corby’s videos too. It’s what happens when I palm tap only in one spot - coffee gathers in one spot. This would also lead to channeling regardless of how small the clumps are. Basically, I’m unconvinced.

Comment

Just spoke to Antonio, its 1100 euro for the premium finish, so that works out to be around $2100 after postage, GST and stamp duty. 24 months warranty. relatively affordable for what it is IMHO. Just concerning about reliability issues. This is usually what small start-ups concerns, Maybe I should give it the benefit of the doubt?

Dave Corby's review on the distribution unit only was quite positive, not sure about the other 2 functions. the weigh and force sensor seems relatively responsive from the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsb1_PEO1DM

Comment

While DaveC is a respected engineer / reviewer within coffee circles I'd be waiting on a respected Barista with highly developed technique and taste buds before I'd think about a vibe distro tool.

It might be cool technology but what does it do to the stuff in the cup.

Cheers

Comment

When the automatic grinders first appeared, people were saying it wasn't as quick as manual, then the Pugpress - we said it's the barista's job to tamp, using scales to weight dosage used to be over-killed. What im saying is thanks to these small ideas that our coffee industry got to where we are and fair enough there are always room for improvement with new tech, we just need to not brush them off and give them chance. Im willing to do that knowing it could be a disaster or the best 2k ive ever spent. Who knows, if the vibration frequency and amplitude are set right, it could be a game changer.

Comment

I hear what you are saying but the opposite is also true. There’s so many gimmicks out there supposedly fixing consistency issues and the like. The distribution tool is a perfect example. It helps to an extent but doesn’t do anything a barista can’t do with good technique. I think $2.1k is a LOT to drop on a product that looks to me to have a lot going on with it and a lot of potential problems to boot. But each to their own and I would be very intrigued to hear your feedback if you do go ahead and purchase one.

Comment

Yes you're also right, so many gimmicks that makes us skeptical. There are always 2 purposes for an equipment; 1.Does it improve efficiency and workflow at a shop-level (ie Dollar-per-second) or 2.Does it improve quality of the extraction process. The best equipment does both of these well but usually most of them favor one or the other, and in this case seems to be the 2nd. Fair enough a good barista can distribute fine but if using it can save 1sec for a coffee, thats hundreds of seconds in a day and still maintaining quality, this is why an OCD or a Pullman cost $200 each, cost is relative to different people and the value it brings. And expect to pay more for new concepts before it becomes the norms. The EK43 used to be hard to get at 5k, now you can get it down the road for about 3k if you bargain hard. Will let you know how it goes, issue is trying to get it from Italy with all these covid going on.

Comment

Working...
                    X