Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing closed-cell silicone for boiler insulation

Hi all.

I'm looking to insulate the boiler in my Rancilio Silvia espresso machine to (a) protect the aftermarket Auber PID, and (b) prevent heat loss to the environment. I've seen similar projects on this forum using materials like Insul Bright and Neoprene, but from what I've read closed-cell silicone foam (sponge) is the best bet. However, I can't see to find any retailers in Australia that actually sell the closed-cell silicone at the quantity that I'm looking for (~1 m2). Has anyone found a retailer that stocks this and ships to Melbourne or, better, has a brick and mortar store that I can visit?

I have seen it on eBay. Pretty pricey though.

Comment

I didn't have much luck when I was looking, contacted a few companies but they weren't willing to do a small order.

I ended up ordering a 1m x 60cm roll of Superwool Plus insulation for the project I was working on. Only cost about $30 and you'll have more than enough for several machines, or if you make a mistake. It's a little harder to work with and probably not as durable as closed cell stuff but it works really well.

Comment

• elgordo
        elgordo commented
        Editing a comment
        That was my experience as well. Hadn't heard of Superwool Plus before. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nearly all Closed Cell Silicone Rubber Foam Sheet is made in China and due to its expense, not many (if any) businesses in Oz import the stuff 'on spec'. I take it you have perused this thread - Several Alternatives to using Silicone...
      https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...oise-dampening

Mal

Comment

• elgordo
        elgordo commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a shame. That's correct, I did have a read of this linked thread before posting here. The Insul Bright sounds promising, cheap, and accessible. I'll probably end up having a go it. Thanks.

Grab the lining from a old oven, it's fibreglass with a foil backing and maybe 1" thick. Sources- find out where roadside collection is and pull a oven apart, get a broken oven for cheap from marketplace or gumtree, metal recyclers...
      secure with foil tape on the seam and add a couple of stainless ties.

No, mine hasn't been done yet.. the insulation is sitting in a box out back. Itchy stuff too!

Comment

Working...
      X