Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie: Which Tamper / Coffee Distributor / Basket and Portafilter should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: Which Tamper / Coffee Distributor / Basket and Portafilter should I buy?

Hey guys,

Ordered my new Magestic EC30 Single Boiler Coffee Machine and Flat Burr M2M Grinder, purchased a whole bunch of Rhino Barista Accessories from Alternative Brewing but still undecided on a Tamper / Coffee Distributor / Basket and possibly naked basket Porter filter. Trying to keep it under $400

Here are my options so far

1) OCD V3 + VST Basket (No Tamper)

2) Pullman Bigstep + Pullman Basket (No Distributor Tool)

3) Pullman 58.3mm Tamper + VST Basket + Chinese Knock Off 58mm OCD Coffee Distributor

4) Pullman Palm Bigstep + Pullman Basket

Not too sure what Porter Filter will come with the Magestic EC30 but doesn't have to be replaced straight away

watching with interest- expecting a bottomless isomac portafilter with 20g VST basket in the mail tomorrow, but still have an old 57mm stainless steel tamper from 10 years ago- definatley interested in moving to an adjustable distribution tool...

Comment

My pick would be a vst basket (20g personal preference)
      C ripple or flat base 58.4mm tamp. Polished base but brand not important
      distribution tool generic cheap one.
      No point spending lots on one if you don’t know it’ll help. They will only help if your distribution is bad.
      $30 evil bay one, $100 motta or $200 ish for a branded ocd one. What ever you need but all will do a similar job

Comment

20g VST preference here too, less tolerant but I really like them - start with that. Then, assuming grind and distribution is good to perfect, a jam jar lid will do - or any snug fitted tamper, does not have to be expensive, having said that I have a tight fitting Pullman Nexus and Barista, luv em both. Nexus I bought, Barista came with a package.

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like the 20g VST basket is highly recommended. Like the look of the Pullman Barista but I feel like a distributor will do the job. Shame Covid is making any international post 2+ months atm

Comment

• MxD
            MxD commented
            Editing a comment
            No point having a distribution tool without a tamp. I'd suggest getting a good tamp & basket to begin with, then if you're having issues with extraction go down the path of a distribution tool. You can't prep a puck without tamping but you can prep a puck without a distribution tool. Essentials before superfluous accessories.

The most important thing is to make sure you match the size of the tamper with the basket. IF going VST then 58.5mm is OK not 58mm. Chinese knock offs for tampers and distribution tools work fine the only problem is it takes a while to get here. I used to own the Bigstep but now use a DE V1 tamper ( https://decentespresso.com/tamper ) as I own a DE and their baskets and tampers match perfectly and a chinese wedge distribution tool which for me works better than OCD which I sold

Comment

Matching tamper & basket only seems important to the home coffee enthusiast.
            In a commercial setting a nice fitting tamp in important, but being matched to a basket is not practical. A machine with 3 groups would in theory need 3 tamps & that’s not happening anywhere, especially with the increase with auto tamps that usually have 58mm tamps (sometimes more accurate).

Comment

I think barri means more along the lines of getting the best size tamper for a particular model of basket, not individually matched

Comment

• barri
                barri commented
                Editing a comment
                That's exactly what I meant

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
              I think barri means more along the lines of getting the best size tamper for a particular model of basket, not individually matched
              Perhaps. Either way any tamp from 58mm & up will be sufficient

Comment

• barri
                barri commented
                Editing a comment
                A poor fitting tamper will create poor adhesion with the side of the basket leading to edge channeling. That's why a tamper needs to be a snug fit so 58.5mm in a VST/Pullman/DE basket will work much better than a 58mm

• Ronin
                Ronin commented
                Editing a comment
                barri not my experience, but depends on personal techniques and abilities. Agree to disagree mate

Originally posted by motion2082 View Post
              2) Pullman Bigstep + Pullman Basket (No Distributor Tool)
              Option 2 gets my vote.

Comment

Check out the force tamper. Wish I knew about it when I started my journey

Comment

Originally posted by Hughie View Post
                  Check out the force tamper. Wish I knew about it when I started my journey
                  Looks interesting, I like the concept but mixed reviews in the comments of some youtube video

Comment

Originally posted by barri View Post
                    The most important thing is to make sure you match the size of the tamper with the basket. IF going VST then 58.5mm is OK not 58mm. Chinese knock offs for tampers and distribution tools work fine the only problem is it takes a while to get here. I used to own the Bigstep but now use a DE V1 tamper ( https://decentespresso.com/tamper ) as I own a DE and their baskets and tampers match perfectly and a chinese wedge distribution tool which for me works better than OCD which I sold
                    Oh wow I love the DE V1 and DE V2 Tampers, just watched the comparison videos. I think Im leaning towards these tampers.

is the best place to buy them direct or are their Australian stores that sell them?

Comment

Originally posted by motion2082 View Post

Oh wow I love the DE V1 and DE V2 Tampers, just watched the comparison videos. I think Im leaning towards these tampers.

is the best place to buy them direct or are their Australian stores that sell them?

https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/decen...-coffee-tamper
                      https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/decen...flat-copper-v2
                      https://decentespresso.com/tamper

All site sponsors

Comment

motion2082 I'm pathologically unable to do a level tamp in my 18g or 20g VST basket (which I do Rx) and subsequently got the DE V2 tamp to supplement a chinese knock off distribution tool. DE has now released a version 3 tamp which is 15lb and easier to disassemble and maintain. Between getting, now, perfectly level tamps AND backing off the BAR pressure on the grouphead a little, microchannelling is ALMOST completely a thing of the past. If you don't have the technique the old hands here have and wish to ensure the damn puck is level, then I Rx either the DE tamper or The Force Tamper.......how's ya wallet ?

Comment

Working...
                        X