Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me pick the right size milk jugs for my circumstances pls....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick the right size milk jugs for my circumstances pls....

First post here so it'll be an ignorant one...

There are two people in my household and we generally use 250ml coffee cups. With my current Rancilio Silvia which lasted me 15 years I'd normally cut down on my calories and put about 120mls of milk in each cup and the rest is a double shot basket (14g) turned into like a long black. So 120mls of coffee in each cup or thereabouts...

I just ordered a better machine - a ECM Synchronika... Very excited about it... I'm trying to work out what milk jugs I'll need and order them in advance. I bought an 18g VST ridgeless basket for it.

My plan is to make about 70mls of espresso per cup or about 36g of espresso. Then fill the rest of the 250ml cup with milk - hopefully a good ratio for a flat white???

So here's the question... Sometimes I make one cup for just myself and sometimes I make one for my wife as well.

In a normal workflow with a double boiler machine do you just buy say a 360ml Motta Europa (I like the look of that brand) for a single cup and would a 500ml Motta Europa to make two cups? Or do you just refill the smaller jug and do it twice? Is a 500ml jug even big enough for two 250ml cups and is the 360ml jug big enough for one cup? I'm just a bit confused about which sizes to get for when I do 1 or 2 cups....

I have a 360 and a 600. The larger one is super handy when we have guests.

Not all machines have the oomph to steam a large jug. Your ECM will.

Use the larger jug for making 2 cups and fill to about the bottom of the spout.

use the smaller jug when making 1 cup

Comment

Thank you herzog - the only problem was that Motta doesn't seem to make a 600ml - they only make a 500ml... If I have to get a 600ml is there a good brand that will do latte art at pinch? Not that I normally bother with it.

Comment

I use a Rhinowares 600.

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
          I use a Rhinowares 600.
          Thanks so much - will check it out,

Comment

I just got some ILSA Evolution latte art jugs. They are heavier and more solid than I thought they would be. My wife has 200mls trim milk for latte (with 20gms espresso) which is heated to 60deg in 26 seconds. Whereas I used to use a 350 ml standard shape jug, I now find with the ILSA and steam pressure that the expansion, through stretching, and in particular the Vortex, means the 350ml jug is just too small and I'm having to use the 500ml. If I were doubling these, in this instance, I would need to use the 750ml for 400ml milk.

Point being that you are needing to weigh up type of milk, volume, shape of jug and steam pressure available. As I understand it the Synchronkia can really pump out the steam so your jug will need the capacity to handle the vortex/stretching. I stretch to 38deg and continue with vortex to 58 to 60 deg, knowing the milk continues to heat another 3 -4 deg after the steam is turned off

Let us know what you end up with. btw Rhinoware and Motta are also really good brands I trust.

Comment

Sorry quester - didn't see your response until just now and I have bought some jugs...

I got the Motta 360ml and I found what seems to be a nice thick stainless 600ml jug. The Rhinoware jugs on the site I was trying to economise on shipping had no stock of type of Rhinoware jug I wanted. So I found this one - if you are interested - 1.3mm thick stainless seems to be reasonable quality. It's called a "BARISTA BASICS MILK JUG - 590ML / 20OZ" https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/barista-basics-590-jug

I hope the steam isn't too strong - we'll see I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by quester View Post
                I just got some ILSA stretch to 38deg and continue with vortex to 58 to 60 deg, knowing the milk continues to heat another 3 -4 deg after the steam is turned off .
                Sounds like you are using a thermometer. It actually doesn’t keep heating after the steam is cut. This is instrument lag in your thermometer.

Comment

• quester
                  quester commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the headsup herzog. I guess the end result is the same. Here's an article referencing milk continuing to heat. Whether its thermometer lag or some thermal activity the steam needs to turned off circa 60 degrees to avoid heading towards scolding etc; https://coffeeandequip.co.nz/how-do-...nd-techniques/

• level3ninja
                  level3ninja commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's no way that could happen. Use a more responsive thermometer (e.g. digital) and you'll see it's not happening. But you're right, end result is the same.

Yes the laws of physics don't allow milk to continue heating in the absence of a heat source ie. that would imply energy is created from nowhere. If someone said the milk continues to "cook" I'd agree with that but only in the sense that whatever heat that's already present in the milk would be causing changes to the milk's proteins etc over time. Also in some circumstances depending on the food heating can be not uniform and time allows a better heat distribution however in the case of swirling milk it would be pretty even almost instantly I'd imagine. So definitely a case of lag in the thermometer. An instant read thermometer would help there but even they usually have about a 3 second lag from memory that is...

Comment

Working...
                X