This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Giotto brewing tips....

Either the steam wand is too low in the jug or its in your ear?

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1167622442/15#15 date=1176297368
      Spot on.... love it!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

I put its rubber hat back on the steam wand (cheap sundeam job) and thats fixed it, oh to upgrade !!!

Comment

Sullo - I had one of those rubber things :-[

Take it off (it only makes suds anyway) and put it in the bottom drawer until you sell your machine one day, then practice with the wand. It might take a little while but youll get there...just keep the round end bit about half submersed in the mlik with the jug tilted about 20 degrees.

Try that for starters.

Comment

heheheheh....made my day, that one!!
            ;D

L

Comment

Comment

Hi all
                Anyone out there have trouble getting a good shot out of the single group handle?
                I can get great shots out of the double and spent last night mastering this with my new grinder but i am all over the shop when it comes to the single group handle.

The shots come out way too slow and i only get about 15 - 20mm in 25 seconds.

I use the same method as the double handle in that i fill, tap, fill, level flat and then tamp. With the double handle i get two shots of near enough to 30mm at 25seconds and the coffee bangs out as a perfect puk aftererwards but nothing like this with the single, the puk is usually we on top and dry under or it breaks at the edges as you bang it out and generally takes about 4 bangs to get the thing out.

Any suggestions

thanks
                Mal

Comment

Hi Mal,

Single baskets can be tricky to work with. If you follow my dosing tips- which I think youre familiar with, there is one difference for a single:

When you brush off after the collapse, use the bottom of your finger, rather than the side. Youll dig a depression and this should equalise things.

I suggets that you always set grind for a double and then adjust your technique for a single...

Chris

Comment

As Chris said bolb just a smidge less coffee.
                    I switched to the single basket for one shot last weekend and it too was a little slower than Ive been used to as 99% of the time I use the double basket.

Comment

Thanks Chris.
                      I will try that one tonight.

The grinder works a charm, very pleased with it, especially considering 4 out of the 5 shots i pulled last night with the double were great and all appeared to taste the same. Previously i really only had about a 20% or less strike rate at getting a great shot.

And talk about a quiet grinder it makes my old one seem like a cement mixer

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1167622442/0#1 date=1167623054
                        Good advice, Chris.

I would just add one motion to the frothing routine:  After the jug is removed and the wand cleaned...... Swirl the jug itself by holding it and rotating the forearm quickly as if winding a bobbin, say.  

That removes any left-over bubbles, and imparts a nice sheen to the milk.

--Robusto
                        i would say rest the milk jug on the bench and either gently nurse it back and forward every now and the to stop the contents from settling or swirl the milk around in the jug as you would a good red wine in the glass!

but same same really

acg

Comment

Re: e-61 brewing tips....

So should one dial in their grinder for a single basket or double basket 25 second extraction? Or should you be able to get the correct volume in 25 seconds with both with the same grind?

Reason I ask is that my grinder was dialled in for a single, and the double seems to come through much faster.

Sorry - hope this isnt too OT?

Comment

Originally posted by Matty P link=1167622442/15#26 date=1187005108
                            So should one dial in their grinder for a single basket or double basket 25 second extraction?  Or should you be able to get the correct volume in 25 seconds with both with the same grind?

Reason I ask is that my grinder was dialled in for a single, and the double seems to come through much faster.

Sorry - hope this isnt too OT?
                            Hi Matty,

Dial in the double and then adjust your technique for the single. I use dose and collapse on the double wiping with a straight edge to get a complete fill and adjust my grind to suit.

With a single, I wipe with a curved edge second time to slightly decrease the dose. This gives me consistent results...

Chris

Comment

I’m a little surprised in view of all the intricate instructions mentioned regarding how to prepare one’s milk that nobody has even bothered to mention what TYPE of milk. According to what I’ve been told & also read in a number of places, it can make a great deal of difference.

I’m also somewhat disappointed to note that whilst I was welcomed onto this forum by Andy, nobody else here has said a word & nobody at all has replied to my first & only request as the New Boy on the Block. Is it that nobody can offer any assistance or is it that nobody knows?

Comment

A belated welcome  to the forum, Davidvh2.

But you shouldnt feel put out about responses (or non responses).  

The question of milk type has been covered extensively. Have a look through the threads:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=GotMilk

Youll see the experiences of fellow snobs who have used full cream, skinny, light, soy  and a host of different brands.  

The subject of your first post, about cleaning the Gaggia, may already have been covered too.  

Again, its a matter of searching back.  

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X