This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e-61 brewing tips....

I count mine from the lever lift, dont know which way is the right way (if there is one), Im happy with my results though :P

Comment

Something Ive been wondering about but never seem to read anywhere... With a single boiler machie like the silvia, it has been recommended to switch on the machine anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes before brewing. With a E61 HX, is that still necessary or does it take longer or shorter for the preheating phase?

Comment

Still necessary.
        I aim for a minimum of 30 minutes but with mine on a timer its usually an hour before I make my breakfast coffee and its well and trully warmed up by then.

Comment

TG, a questions on preheating, wont that result in brew water temp that might be too hot seeing as HX machines tend to get hot when "idle" for too long?

Also, Ive been doing a bit of reading on HX and E61 groups and I got a bit confused. According to an article in Wholelattelove on how the E61 works, it says the lever has 3 positions, up, middle and down. Up activates the pump, middle deactivates the pump and engages the piston and down activates the pressure release... The article goes on to say that durnig the brew process, you push the lever up to activate the pump and that does a pre-infusion as well. When a bit of coffee comes out, you then press the lever into the middle position which then gets the piston to force the brew water under pressure through the coffee for the shot proper. After that, you push the lever down to depressurise the head.
          However, looking at videos of shots being pulled on the isomac tea and expobar brewtus on youtube, there seems to be only 2 positions, up to brew and down to depressurise.... And during the brew, the pump is going. There doesnt seem to be a middle position.
          Whats the explanation for this?

Comment

Yes it gets too hot after an hour but a 100ml flush is all thats needed to bring it back to where you want it.

I havent figured out the 3 positions yet.
            I fiddled with it the other day.

Down = Off.
            Up = On
            Middle = Pump Off / 3 way valve closed.

When you push the lever back to the off position the 3 way opens and relieves the pressure.

So I suppose you could "Up" then "Middle" to pre-infuse.
            Then "Up" to brew.
            Followed by "Down" to finish.

Comment

The brain box controls the pre-infusion anyway, theres no need to use the middle posi. The only time I use the middle postiion is when Im back flushing and I want the pressure to go into the drip tray without it blasting out (as the pump is disengaged) and I can see the colour of the water better (to see if theres any browness).

Comment

So you brew with the pump on, not in the middle position... Which seems to conflict with the wholelattelove article which suggests that the top is for pre-infusion and the middle for brewing.

Comment

If you stick it in the middle, the pump isnt activated - so youll just end up with a soggy puck and an 8 minute pour/drip.... Ill try and find that WLL article. Note as well a lot of these machines overseas at O/S spec, not aussie spec... not that that position of the lever should make a difference. Someone please correct me if Im wrong as Ive not actually tried that out (leaving it in the middle), but as far as I know the middle posi is as noted above, and again with TGs comments.

Comment

Article is here

Say, how do you replace a link with the wwws with an underlined description or "here"?

Comment

Originally posted by NewToEspresso link=1167622442/60#68 date=1215914222
                      Article is here: http://www.wholelattelove.com/articles/e61_brew_group.cfm

Say, how do you replace a link with the wwws with an underlined description or "here"?
                      You mean like this?

Click here

put square brackets around the below

url=http://www.google.com.au]Click here[/url

Cheers

Comment

I just tried to modify the previous post with the square bracket thing but it doesnt seem to work...

Comment

Went to the help section and found it... now I gotta find out how to do it with "here" underlined... Thanks PhilMac

Comment

No Problem,

Like this?

Click here

Cheers (add the square brackets)

url=http://www.google.com.au]Click here[/url

edit: the page picked up the underline tags already [u] etc

Comment

Hi NTE, Renzo at Di Bartoli at my training for the VBM Super Leva yesterday used the middle position for backflushing: it allows the chemicals mixed with water sitting in the blind filter to ooze and expand their way backwards up the group head down into the drip tray without any pump pressure/water flow.

Having seen this occur on the VBM, it drips extremely slowly and I dont think that it could possibly have sufficient use as a pre-infusion at all on this machine - if theres even any water being released at all (I think its just the chemical expansion forcing the solution back up the pipes?).

I was under the impression that the preinfusion is automatically part of the brewing process when the lever is fully up/on.

Im brand new to this machine, so someone with more experience could probably confirm/deny my assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1167622442/0#0 date=1167622441
                                Hi all,

Dosing and the shot:
                                Firstly, you need to get a consistent dosing technique. With a Giotto, I tap the (double) pf on the bench a few times as I fill to settle off the coffee. Make a small mound of coffee and brush off using a straight edge- or even the side of your index finger to get a totally full basket. Then, just sit your (heavyish) tamper on the coffee to settle it, fill and brush off again.... and then tamp to 15kg or thereabouts. This will enable you to get your dosing consistent. If you find that the pf is hard to load, youre overdoing it- back off just a fraction buy altering your technique a little but do so consistently. Whatever you do MUST be repeatable.

Run a shot to see how things are going. 30ml in approx 25 sec pour time is a good starting point. Check the puck to see that it is not wet and sloppy- if it is, your dose is poor and the coffee will be bad. If you see holes in the puck, these are channels and will usually result in an unsatisfactory shot.

Chris
                                Chris

A point of clarification. When you say 30ml in 25sec out of the double PF, do you mean a total of 60ml (30ml each side) or a total of 30ml?

Comment

Working...
                                X