X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eatyourfailcakes
    replied
    Thanks. It's a La Pavoni Cellini Premium. I'll have a look around to see if I can find how to adjust the pressure.
    With regards to the amount of coffee in the filter basket, surely there is a way to tell how much coffee needs to be in there and not guessing?
    Is going on puck consistency after a shot i.e too wet dry?
    Seems like if I can lock in the "correct" dose weight the rest seems a lot easier. But I'm not too sure what is too little in the basket and too much, other than the obvious can't screw it in for too much and soup for when you pull it out for too little.
    Maybe I'm being too pedantic?
    Thanks again for your help

Leave a comment:

• roosterben
    replied
    robusto is spot on re pressure and the other techniques, the maximum pressure at the group is controlled by the OPV (over pressure valve), if you confirm your machine model and year there may be a thread on CoffeeSnobs about adjusting it or if not YouTube videos on how to get to. I recently adjusted Domobar Super E61 which was easy to access and adjust. Depending on the model you may want to shoot for 10 bar on the gauge which usually is 9 bar at the group. There are devices such as a Scace or pressure gauges which screw onto a portafilter to measure pressure at the group.

Leave a comment:

• robusto
    replied
    Eatcakes, adjust your pressure with a blind basket to 9 bars and don't change it once set.

You need to be consistent in the amount of coffee you dose, and your tamping pressure.

A digital scale with 1 gram or smaller increments will eliminate guesswork.

I would try for 18 grams in the basket, tamped to about 14 kg pressure (put your loaded portafilter onto a bathroom scale and tamp to 14 kg).

Aim for 25-30 grams of espresso in 30 seconds plus or minus a few secs.

If under in time, grind a little finer. If taking over , grind coarser.

But don't change tamping pressure or water pressure or amount of coffee.

Leave a comment:

• eatyourfailcakes
    replied
    Hi all, I really need some help! I have an e61 machine with with a pressure gauge in the group head. Grinder is an mazzer mini electronic.

Let me start with some assumptions I have read:
    Brewing should be at 9 bar
    Dosing should allow a 5 cent piece to be placed on the puck and it not to press into the filter screen when screwed in.

For my standardish shot if I aim for 9 bar, my flow rates are wayyyy too quick (2.5x yield in 15 seconds)
    Fining up the grind to get in the 25 second range (still looks too fast) the pressure is around 11.5.
    Pressure with a blind basket is around 12.

My guess is the dose isn't right and there isn't enough coffee? It is a ridged basket and the coffee sits a couple of mm below the ridge when tamped. However it does sit below the filter screen perfectly with the 5 cent piece. If i was to do the 'dose collapse, dose tamp' method, it would probably be at least 2-3 more grams of coffee in the basket.

This is probably a bit of analysis paralysis i think. I'm just not sure which of the variables I need to change.

Thanks for your help.

Leave a comment:

• Pilong
    replied
    thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

• Trooper
    replied
    Re: e-61 brewing tips....

Thanks Roger, I will bring in my grinder. Thanks for your patience and excellent follow up training as promised.

Kind Regards Chris

Leave a comment:

• Trooper
    replied

Thanks again Mal, those Videos are great viewing.

Kind Regards Chris

Leave a comment:

• Trooper
    replied

Thanks for your tips maheel, yes the vendor was Roger at Supreme roasters. I did a fair bit of research before I selected Supreme Roasters and I was not disapointed. Roger is a very fair and well informed person who pointed me in the right direction for a machine to suit my needs. I originally had a ceiling of $2000 that I wanted to spend, but I could not get my eyes of the Giotto Rocket Premium Plus. His training is exemplary, its just me, must be my age.

Kind Regards Chris [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Leave a comment:

• SupremeRoasters
    replied

Hey Chris

Looking forward to catching up with you for the follow up session on Monday.

Feel free to bring your grinder in or alternatively use one of our Compak touchs on the bench. Im confident with a few further tweaks on technique we will have yours shots pouring beautifully like we did on the bench initially and many a gorgeous coffee at home.  

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Roger

Mal... Thanks for posting a great resource.  

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied

Theres really no need to plough your way through Kilos of beans to try to get a decent pour happening consistently.

Probably the most difficult aspect of learning good technique with espresso machines, is getting the dose correct each and every time. So long as you have a quality grinder, great coffee and a half decent Tamper then youre well on your way.

Have a look through these video How-To tutorials on the ECA website. They are probably the next best thing to having a personal barista Tutor....http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm

All the best mate
    Mal.

Leave a comment:

• maheel
    replied

dont be scarred to waste a few kg of beans, seems wasteful and maybe a few $$$ but doing shot after shot really gets you used to the variables a bit quicker

when ever i give someone a bit of a lesson, i just get them to keep making shots.

they all say " i am wasting your beans"

thats just the way it is, no getting around it i reckon  and they get to see the change in pour when we change the variables (tamp , grind , dose) and discuss why etc

you have invested in a really good machine, time and beans will result in a fairly consistent pour

by Roger is that Supreme roasters?

Leave a comment:

• Trooper
    replied

Thanks Mal, the vendor did give me a basic home-barrista course and has left an open invitation to call in a receive further lessons, but I live approximately 70 klms from where his shop is and find that to far just to pop in a do a couple of shots. I always seem to do good shots in front of Roger but when I try it at home the end result is not the same. I find it hard to determine what adjustements to make on the grinder. I follow what roger told me, if the shot starts in two to three seconds and the flow is  to watery, then the grind is too course, adjust the grinder finer. Anyhow I am sure with practise and about ten kilos of beans I will improve.

Kind Regards Chris [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied

Originally posted by 07213C3C233621530 link=1167622442/81#81 date=1287660756
    Thanks for your tips, I am new to this coffee adventure and would appreciate all good tips on how to perfect my shots.

I have just purchased a Brand new Giotto Premium Plus with a Compak G3 Grinder. My previous machine was a MOKA with a build in Grinder.

Any futher advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Chris
    Gday Chris....

Id reckon your vendor should be the first port of call if you need help with any aspect of machine operation. You didnt get a basic home-barista session when you bought the machine, eh? Most of our Site Sponsors will throw this in as part of the deal when you pick the machine up... :-?

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• Trooper
    replied

Thanks for your tips, I am new to this coffee adventure and would appreciate all good tips on how to perfect my shots.

I have just purchased a Brand new Giotto Premium Plus with a Compak G3 Grinder. My previous machine was a MOKA with a build in Grinder.

Any futher advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Chris

Leave a comment:

• barri
    replied

Originally posted by 56444A52535A3D0 link=1167622442/79#79 date=1283328875
    If your basket is damp, wouldnt you get bits of coffee lumping together before you pull the shot? It may or may not lead to an uneven pull.

In any case, I believe you should do the cooling flush just before you pull your shot, with your portafilter out, dosed, tamped and ready. The idea of a cooling flush with a HX is purge the water that got too hot sitting there when the machine is idle.

About the side channeling, maybe you should try tamping north south east west and see if that reduces the blonding?

And dont tap too hard if at all to dislodge loose grinds on the edge of the basket.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X