A new Bezzera prosumer E61!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Bezzera prosumer E61!

It looks like Bezzera have stepped up to the plate with their new top of the line home machine, the Galatea Domus. Specs include a 2l boiler, vibe pump, 4l water reservoir, boiler pressure gauge and of course the E61 group. The machine can also be plumbed, but they will be adding a rotary pump for the plumbed version sometime later....

Chris from Barazi said hed have the first machines in sometime in May. So theres time to save...

Going from what I have seen of Bezzeras build quality, this is going to be one very nice machine, both externally and internally. Little touches like to rotary on-switch, which disables the element for boiler filling are usually only found on commercial machines. Bezzera also use two water level probes; one for the auto fill and the other a low water sensor that cuts out the element if the water level drops too low. This extra level of safety is uncomon on most machines.

Ill be checking her out when she arrives. But for now, heres a pic.

Re: A new Bezzera prosumer E61!

Verrry Noice.

I wonder what a ball-park price might be $2.5-$3K?

I like the styling. Very retro with lots of nice curves and shiny metal. 8-) 8-)

Comment

About $2.7k

Comment

Nice.

Is there any significant difference in steaming ability with this machine compared to say a (typical...?) 2 group commercial machine Sparky.

And why is the E61 group so sought after compared to the standard looking one on the commercial machines?

Cheers

Comment

Steaming: Yep. The Pav along with other commercials outguns the 2l boiler quite a bit. The big difference is that usually a large commercial will have enough wattage to hold the steam pressure, where as these smaller machines cant hold the same pressure during steaming. Also the huge steam reservoir of a commercial compared to these machines makes a large difference.

In practice though theres no need to go to such large staming capacity. My BZ35 with the 2l boiler was a steaming demon with a 4 hole tip. It takes about 8 sec to texture the milk for a single. In contrast the Pav takes about 5 sec and throws the milk around so violently it almost left the jug... ie I prefer the BZ to the Pav for small quantities of milk.

As for the E61 group: sex appleal and consumer demand. Im no real fan of them though for a couple of reasons. The shower screen is almost impossible to remove without removing/damaging the group gasket. That means you dont do it that often. On the BZ I used to remove the shower screen on a weekly basis and clean it and the dispersion block back to shiny and new. On an E61 you have to trust that the back flushing chemicals do the job.... and there it is. Trust. I dont. Thats one of the reasons I got the Pav, as it uses a screw to attach the shower and dispersion block, unlike the traditional E61.

Otherwise, the big plus for the E61 is the preinfusion chamber that eases the pressure up to the full 9 bar, rather than slamming the puck. Its like the difference your bum would feel after riding a mountain bike for 8 hours with or without suspension.

Pre-infusion isnt essential, but it makes puck preparation easier,as it is more forgiving of operator error. This is a big plus for the E61 IMO. Other commercials have pre-infusion, but usually not using the mechanical chamber like the E61, but rather using mains supply pressure to wet the puck for a period prior to engaging the pump. The PI in these machines wont work using bottled water though. (another reason I bought the Pav)

All the other features are found on most other commercials, such as a thermosyphon group heating loop and flow restrictors to get the heat loss (group idling temperature) just right. Mind you, most E61 machines dont have flow restrictors fitted in any case (but the Pav does - another reason I got it).

Other aspects of the E61 (ie large thermal mass- giving great thermal stability) are no different to any number of commercial groups, and so not a great arguement for thermal stability at all.

Bottom line is that people like the look of it and the mechanical pre-infusion makes it more forgiving of operator errors.

IMO anyway.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time Mark. They do look really sexy thats for sure. What you say about cleaning the screen has to be spot on. Even on my little EM6910 the backflush (with chem cleaning tab) gets rid of a lot, but even after that you can remove the shower screen, then the inner screen and then unbolt the brass bit and you can still see tarnish on all 3 that can be cleaned off with a toothbrush etc easily.

Cheer again.

Comment

BTW..do you service these things Mark, or is it a pass time?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatea_%28mythology%29

Latin Translation: domus - house, home, residence.

Comment

A Major Domus. But is retro a passing fad? Im not entirley sure....

The E 61 group, BTW, quite apart from all fantastic intricacies, weighs a shade over 4 kilos --- thats a lot of mass to hold heat and smooth over thermal fluctuations all around it.

--Robusto

Comment

thats a heavy bit of kit!

The only negative is little kids I understand...they can burn apparantly with a quick touch. The manager at Barazi in Bris told me that when he demonstrated a machine pre EM for me.

Cheers

Comment

Yes, they stand proud of the frame, saying "touch me" to bystanding kids (and adults) and are very very hot.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1173411744/0#6 date=1173424016
                        BTW..do you service these things Mark, or is it a pass time?
                        Yep, just a hobby. Ive got about 4 machines in various states of disrepair. I love tinkering with these things.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

The steam tip is stepped similar to the sunbeam....lots of milk crusties just waiting to build up there.

Comment

Surprised it doesnt appear to have a cool touch steam wand for the price; otherwise I cant see the point for the ill-fitting bit of black plastic insulation on the steam wand reminiscent of the $200 thermoblocks...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1173411744/0#13 date=1173530624
                              Surprised it doesnt appear to have a cool touch steam wand for the price; otherwise I cant see the point for the ill-fitting bit of black plastic insulation on the steam wand reminiscent of the $200 thermoblocks...
                              I was under the impression that the cool-touch design was under a ECM patent ?? :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X