Vibiemme Domobar Super?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibiemme Domobar Super?

Anyone familiar with this machine? They are quite prevalent here in NZ, many of the coffee shops are dealers for them. Expensive, but they sound like the goods (yes I have read the reviews).

I note that the boilers pretty huge (2.7 litres!). I can see the upside for steaming power (1800W!) and stability, but might that make it a bit slow to get warmed up just for a couple of cups?

Oh, and Ill have a tanked one in stainless please...

Re: Vibiemme Domobar Super?

noone?

Comment

I had a look at the Domobar Super when I was out at ****** coffee (they had a semi-disassembled model on show so you could see the guts of them). They do look good with a nice big boiler and performance that would, I imagine, be in a similar league to other mid-range HX machines.

Comment

Firstly- Id check boiler size- CG reviews state 1.9L boiler....Price more than an Expo. eb-61 lever but less than a Giotto. Problem in Oz is that nobody sells em so proprietory bits might be hard to get and exxy...

I can find absoolutely nothing re reliability and not much in the way of dealers either....Could be a worry...Keep in mind that just because it looks similar, does not mean it is the same. Machines are more than the sum of their parts....

2mcm

Comment

I have to say that the fact that ****** Coffee is the only Australian dealer by the looks of it could be cause for concern. Having seen the way that the distributorship of Gaggia has changed, it may not auger well for long term ownership prospects. Im not too sure about NZ though - they may be better supported there.

Still, a Domobar non-Super still looks good value for me (who will have a $1k limit...)

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1175237291/0#3 date=1175498983
            Firstly- Id check boiler size- CG reviews state 1.9L boiler....Price more than an Expo. eb-61 lever but less than a Giotto. Problem in Oz is that nobody sells em so proprietory bits might be hard to get and exxy...

I can find absoolutely nothing re reliability and not much in the way of dealers either....Could be a worry...Keep in mind that just because it looks similar, does not mean it is the same. Machines are more than the sum of their parts....

2mcm
            Everywhere Ive seen quotes the large boiler size, including the official brochure I have and their website http://www.lavibiemme.it/ ... Maybe the 110V version is different to deal with the lower power supply?

Locally (NZ) its in the same price ballpark as a Rocket E61 (aka ECM Giotto), spec for spec (ie with inbuilt tank and stainless finish optioned), but the Rockets are in short supply...

Lack of reliability reports may be interpreted as a good thing, normally people dont make complaints if things are running well, but make lots of noise when things go wrong...

Comment

Certainly the one in ***** seems big.

Too Much Coffee is a good resource for Vibiemme stuff...

Comment

It looks like Vibiemme have finally renovated their web site. It looks like theres been some improvements on their machines. I did notice one thing different with their implementation of the E61 group. It has a different gicleur chamber. The standard E61 unit screws in place as one piece, where as this one is attached by two allen bolts. That means the seals etc are non-standard. Im not sure how or if it would affect the performance though. There has been some mention of the Vibiemme group being less forgiving, but this is just hearsay from posts going back many years.

Comment

If what Mr Google shown me is true, this is a great bargain at $1,900 - unless I am missing something here. Looks like serious competition to the Giotto.

What do others think?

Comment

Just been chatting to a supplier, and discovered that the the Domobar Super is available with black powder coat sides for a lower price, or all stainless. Also choice is lever action, un-dosed electronic (sami-auto) or fully volumetric dosing varieties. Quite a choice.

Comment

Its a good buy if you live within 5km of ****** (which I do fortunately). But interstate servicing may be difficult and there are other better supported machines out there for similar money...

Comment

****** are the Australian importers, but there are other dealers around Australia that stock Vibiemme. They just come through ******. I presume those dealers do mos tof the servicing themselves. For example the Domobar Super is available here in Brisbane.

Vibiemme is also quite an old company that goes back to around the time of the original E61 patent.

Comment

Ah okay then. Thats reassuring...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1175237291/0#11 date=1175561118
                            Vibiemme is also quite an old company that goes back to around the time of the original E61 patent.
                            They actually OWN the E61 patent! (currently)

Pictures here http://www.espressocare.com/InsideVibiemme.html show the outstanding workmanship. I am now in serious quandry as I was about to pick up a Minore 2 and now I am wondering of the VDS would be a better option for similar money.

Call me querky, but I just dont want to be a "me too" Giotto owner - two of my friends have Giottos

What is attracting me to the Minore is the digitally adjustable temperature controller and the ease of adjusting the pressure, as well as the large drip tray and of course the dual boilers.

The VDS has undoubtly has higher quality of construction, but doesnt offer the afore mention features (except for the large drip tray).

Also which VDB is best:
                            • manual lever action E61
                            • push-button E61 (operates like the Silvias switched pump) cost same as lever model
                            • volumetric dosing model (buttons for single/double shot; 1 or 2 cups)
                            • all ss or black sides (saves $300!)

Any thoughts?

Comment

Thats a good link. The build quality seems to be top notch. Very nice.

I dont think the E61 patent is still in operation. Thats why there are a lot of E61 equipped machines around now. Vibiemme did own the patent while it was active and were making commercial E61 machines for years. There seem to be two main designs of the E61 group, and they only differ subtly; the Faema/Arete group (the most commonly copied and implemented design that is compatible with variants made for example by La Pavoni) and that found on the Vibiemme. However, Im not sure if there is any real difference in performance.

Id go for the lever group as it has the pre-infusion chamber. Otherwise, the electronic 3-way group is just one amongst a gazillion thermosyphon heated groups.

I like the Minore II for the technical aspects. Theres no use arguing the dual boiler vs heat exchanger machine. They are different concepts and appeal to different people for different reasons. I prefer the aesthetics and build quality of the Vibiemme, but I do like the ability to electronically set the brew temp on the Minore II. Ive heard of reliability issue with the Minore II though....

Your choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X