Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giotto vs VBM vs Galatea Domus .. Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giotto vs VBM vs Galatea Domus .. Help!!

We are stuck in the middle of the desert without the luxury of visiting a store of any kind. We are going to buy a coffee machine and think we have narrowed it down to either a:
    Giotto .... VBM .... Galatea Domus.
    We are also in the market for a good quality grinder.

I suppose most people get to test drive machines before they buy but we are going to make the purchase pretty much based on what we have read on this site.

We are basically novices but want this to become a hobby while we are stuck out here without a cafe. Training will be an issue as well without being able to attend clasees so we are looking for the best DVD or book.

In short, we are about to buy and looking for the best package and final advice on the machines above !!!! :P

Re: Giotto vs VBM vs Galatea Domus .. Help!!

Hi Jaselin,

These are all great machines- though new Giotto stock will not be available for about another 2 months. There are a number of other options as well.

Wed be delighted to assist with your purchase and have many machines in remote Australia. We have training materials to support you as well as unlimited after sales support via phone or email...

Call or drop me a line if I can assist you...

Chris

Comment

Hi
      I cant comment on the comparison but as the proud new owner of a VBM Domobar Super and Mazzer Mini I am VERY happy.  Compared to my old IMAT Mokita the quality of coffee is a big leap forward but dialing in the grind, dosing etc is a challenge.
      I bought from Chris on the recommendation of a friend and cannot fault his service.

Having said that Im sure that all the machines you list will perform well and really my choice came down to reputation of the seller and info from the web and friends.
      Happy decision making!!

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/templates/forum/default/smiley.gif

Comment

Hi,
        We moved to Rockhampton from NZ 6/12 ago and have similar distance issues.
        I have owned a variety of machines for 15 years.
        I wanted a good machine whilst in Australia that was - reliable, well constructed, and made good coffee
        Whilst here I bought a VBM Domobar Super and Mini Mazzer and am very happy with the purchase.
        I can highly recommend both
        Dave

Comment

Hi Jaselin
          I was in a similar situ & have to agree with tedk, the Vibiemme is fantastic & i can highly recommend the service from Chris at Talk Coffee
          All 3 machines will be great, so do some internet research & pick the 1 you like
          At least the Vibiemme is avialable now:P
          Check this out: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1189037005

Comment

Thanks to all!
            Weve researched heaps and heaps !!! Not much to do in Roxby Downs!

The more research we do the more confused we get. Cant fault Chris for lots of help and Ofra has been fantastic too.

The VBM sounds the go but ......should we go with our initial gut feeling and stick with the Giotto!

I was decided until Jase got home from work with lots more questions etc.  We are going to make our decision this Friday! Hopefully well be sipping some good stuff soon with lots of friends offering to be guinea pigs! Regardless anything will be better than what is on offer here. I have to get a mocca just to hide the taste of the burnt coffee! and micro foam? I wont get started!

Thanks again..... Linda

Comment

Ive got a Domus Galatea and couldnt be happier. Renzo and Ofra at Di Bartoli really knew their stuff, and looked both my wife and I brilliantly. We were in almost exactly the same situtation as you, but browsed a lot on here and were able to spend two long aftenoons umming and aahing in the shop. Prior to visiting them wed looked around other places in Sydney and not been impressed, especially by Tobys estate where one of the staff tried to sell me a Sunbeam. Even so, we were somewhat nervous when we got it home and set it up......

The machine.........is perfect.

I get a nice dry puck with even extraction every time (although I think the espro tamper helps), the coffee comes out as crema and slowly settles, leaving a good head - much like a perfect pint of guinness. The steam arm produces perfect microfoam (operator error excepted) for me with great results, the water tank holds a comfortable amount of water (and is easy to get to), the cup rails hold my steam arm wiping cloth and my brown teatowel for cleaning the basket and they dry gently against the warm sides. Cleaning couldnt be easier and although complete beginners, my wife and I get a nicer espresso or latte (its about all we drink) than just about any cafe we can think of, including Cordial, Campos, and Mecca, which are meant to be some of the best in Australia! The machine feels beautifully built - while at first we were justifying it as a 10-year purchase, we can envision it lasting just as long as the 1940s gaggias you occasionally see today. It heats up quickly, seemingly needs no recovery time between shots......Im not sure what else I

Renzo and Ofra had a Giotto on bench but out of stock (ECM have been so lax with getting stock into Australia, seems theyve been out of stock forever!), the Minore II, and the VBM as well as the Domus.

We ended up choosing the Bezerra over the VBM for these reasons:

+ Tap star shaped dials were much more comfortable than the VBMs shiny triangular ones.
              + Nicer drip tray (the VBMs was huge but was an ugly wire mesh, while the Galateas was still large enough and much nicer to look at)
              + S shaped steam arm was much easier to maneuver into a comfortable position
              + S shaped water tap had a rubber cool grip and could be moved over the drip tray, while if i remember correctly the VBMs could not, so you had to hold cups or have bench space for them.
              + You could refill the water tank with a jug - it had an open top rather than the camping water tank type the Minore had. Not sure about the VBM one!
              + Galatea had a probe at the bottom of the water tank to automatically turn off the boiler in case we one day forgot to top it up! Seemed likely that it might happen one day, and boilers are expensive!
              + Cup Holder height seemed much better for stacking more than one cup on without being worried about it falling off!
              + It was shorter in depth. The VBM is a bit like a stretch coffee machine and it was the same distance away from the side wall while at a 30-45 degree angle in the corner. Weve not got massive benches.
              + The Galatea was steadier on its feet (didnt move, ever) while the VBM slipped slightly when we tried it with a fairly full double basket.

None of these were individual deal-breakers for the VBM - it scored highly for looks, build etc and we were happy to buy it, but all-in-all, the Galatea stole the show for us. Paired with a Mini Mazzer, ECM KS or Macap M4 grinder, Im certain (and my wife would be too were she not at work) that youd be ecstatic with it.

The Giotto......is just simply not in stock, anywhere, and as ECM havent had them in the country for maybe 6 months now, and wont for another month or two, it stuck in my head that when the Giotto is retired, this could happen on the parts. We also wanted a coffee machine now, and the Bezzera was everything the Giotto was. Our only worry was that it was slightly more bling or glitzy than the others, but it settled in very happily on the bench with cupboards above.

And renzo and ofra.........I cant praise them highly enough. They sent follow-up emails to check how we were getting on and ask if we had any questions or needed help in any way. They gave us all the information we needed to make a comfortable purchasing decision, and showed full knowledge of the machines they sold. But perhaps most importantly, they gave their time freely and without limit! Not feeling rushed into the decision or encouraged to spend above budget, we knew and know that well be looked after for many years to come!

Sorry if this post is overlong. Im ecstatic with the machine, and ecstatic with the service. The rambling is probably due to the four cups of coffee Ive had already today.

If youve got any questions I can help with from a purchasers point of view, send me a private message and Ill be delighted to help!

Comment

Originally posted by Identity link=1189435132/0#6 date=1189566061
                Ive got a Domus Galatea and couldnt be happier. Renzo and Ofra at Di Bartoli really knew their stuff, and looked both my wife and I brilliantly. We were in almost exactly the same situtation as you, but browsed a lot on here and were able to spend two long aftenoons umming and aahing in the shop.
                I havent played with all the machines queried about here, but I think, it really comes down to where you buy your machine from. My experience with Di Bartoli is the same as Identities. Good luck!

Comment

Excellent summary Identity, clearly written for the multitude of different factors a prospective buyer has to consider. Im sure that will help jaselin a lot.

Comment

.....(ECM have been so lax with getting stock into Australia, seems theyve been out of stock forever!) .....

The Giotto......is just simply not in stock, anywhere, and as ECM havent had them in the country for maybe 6 months now, and wont for another month or two, it stuck in my head that when the Giotto is retired, this could happen on the parts.
                    There have been rumours throughout the year with Giotto....lets clarify some things to set the facts straight...

-The bottleneck is in Italy, not Australia
                    -The Giotto has not been discontinued, in fact hundreds of units WILL land prior to the end of the year
                    -There is no issue with spare parts and ECA will continue to support the machine...

Yes, supply has been difficult (and I for one should know it...), however there are some salespeople and companies propagating these rumours- most likely to obtain an "edge" - and that is distinctly on the nose...

Bottom line is that unless you heard it from the mouth of ECA management, its probably been embellished!

Chris

Comment

Id like to add a comment...

I could not have possibly had better customer service in relation to my purchase of a giotto (thanks Chris).  I have had the good fortune to use both machines discussed in this thread and really think any decision will come down to personal preference rather than what is or isnt available as both machines represent fine quality.  I ogled a giotto for more than 12 months before deciding on, and being able to afford, the purchase.

I absolutely love the machine, and given its quality, am confident that it will provide me with good service for one hell of a long time before there is a need to replace any parts.  Considering this, stockpiles of parts should last to inifinity and beyond!

Oh, and to further support to what Chris says...my experience with transacting with our wonderful Italian friends is that they will not be rushed - no way, no how.  Surely youve heard that Rome wasnt built in a day?  Ah, la dolce vita!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1189435132/0#10 date=1189581832
                        stockpiles of parts should last to inifinity and beyond!
                        So was the Buzz in Lightyear due to caffeine?

P.S. jaselin, I looked up Roxby Downs on Google Maps and had to zoom a long way out before I could work out where you were.
                        Boy its a long way to anywhere.

Comment

;D ;D ;D TG!

Comment

Im in love with my Domus and the after sales service from Di Bartoli has been supurb

Comment

thank you all for your help. Being out in "the centre of the universe" as we affectionately call Roxby Downs! has been hard as we couldnt touch and feel and smell! This forum has been our saviour.

We are 95% on the stainless VBM super lever and Macap doser grinder. Though how good does that Galatea look!

Anyhoo.............. thankyou all again for your advice and expertise in all areas and Im sure youll be hearing from us again for further advice!

P.S Dennis, excuse my noviceness! but what does TG! stand for?!!!! :-?

Comment

Working...
                              X