Steaming on the Domobar super

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steaming on the Domobar super

Ive lost it with steaming on this machine. Couldnt get any decent looking microfoam for a couple of days now. Anyone care to help me with positioning the steam wand on this machine/something similar with a two hole steam tip? pictures would be much appreciated....

Re: Steaming on the Domobar super

The first week or two with my VBM DS was quite frustrating as well. I still dont know why, but it seemed that things just sort of suddenly worked themselves out. It was almost as f t-something was in the water messing up the steaming until the boiler got cleaned out. It was odd.

My suggestions are these:
    - Do not force he air. Just a little bit at the beginning and that is all you will need.
    - Things happen in a HURRY! For a standard double you will have maybe fifteen seconds at the most to do what needs to be done in the jug.
    - use a thermometer and do not steam past about 50C. (120-125F.). Adjust from there. The temperature will rise another 5C or so after you stop.
    - Change milk. Sometimes the feed given to the herd changes and it messes up the quality of the proteins and farts or such, and it affects the ability of the milk to stretch.

And if you think milk is tough, try soymilk!

Comment

Oh and one more thing. Everytime I steam water for practice, the water gets a tad cloudy Is that just the steam wand or has it got something to do with milk in my boiler?

Comment

You have to work pretty hard to get milk in the boiler. You wolud just about have to leave the wand submerged in milk, leave the valve open,and turn the machine off... Giving a short blast of steam after steaming milk is all that is needed to keep milk out of there. I think that you will (should) find that the steamed water clears up in a short time after steaming. It is probably semi-dissolved air in the water making it cloudy. If you av doubts, pull a bunch of water out of the boiler so that it refills with fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G. link=1207478954/0#3 date=1207525103
          You have to work pretty hard to get milk in the boiler. You wolud just about have to leave the wand submerged in milk, leave the valve open,and turn the machine off...  Giving a short blast of steam after steaming milk is all that is needed to keep milk out of there. I think that you will (should) find that the steamed water clears up in a short time after steaming. It is probably semi-dissolved air in the water making it cloudy. If you av doubts, pull a bunch of water out of the boiler so that it refills with fresh.  

Agreed Randy- unless you have a dud anti-vac valve....Then if your hygiene is poor and you forget to flush the wand before you texture, instant boiler o milk...

CSers take note, if the boiler pressure of your machine instantly drops to zero when you texture for the first time, your anti-vac valve is deceased.

Chris

Comment

Dont know if you are still struggling Gavin
            Just got a superlever myself last week, yes she certainly blows at some steam... It works , its just so dammed quick !!
            I found a review on Home barista.com that made suggestions that worked for me...
            (still struggle a bit with 300 ml jug - (I just need more practice) - but anything larger is ok . and a 1 litre jug is a breeze
            Basically its a bout positioning of the wand relavent to the size of jug.

Here is the link (there is a also a video on steaming milk on the same review)

cheers

http://www.home-barista.com/vibiemme-domobar-super-review-steaming-performance.html

Comment

Hmm.. Ive seen that before

Thing is with less milk, its harder to get a whirlpool. So with less milk I block one hole.

Tumbling just doesnt do it for me. Milk isnt as smooth compared to a whirlpool.....

Comment

Working...
              X