Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For how long do you keep you machine switched on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For how long do you keep you machine switched on?

Interesting question and I dont think I ever saw any comments here on how often you switch your machine off/on.

I am talking about an average HX machine, at least 1.3lt boiler, at least 15kg of brass and other stuff, 40min to warm up properly...

do you guys keep your machines on all the time (with the exception of the time when you clean it, maintain) or do you switch if off in the evening? or after each coffee making session?

I must admit I often keep the machine on overnight to save time on warming up in the morning..

Whats the recommendations?
    I can only say that from the point of view of boiler metal living longer its nice to reduce number of cycles cold->hot->cold...
    from the point of view of an environment protectionist running machine idle for long time is maximizing your carbon footprint ;-)

but seriously, what do other CSs do?

Re: For how long do you keep you machine switched

As sig line suggests, I have a HX.

My machine switches itself on via a digital timer at 6.25 am every morning and gets used at 7.10 am. When Im on day shift the machine switches itself off at 8.30 am and I manually switch it back on when I get home around 6pm. It gets its end of day backflush, clean and refill at about 9.30 pm and is switched off for the night - timer set. On days I am home the machine stays on all day from 6.25am to 9.30pm.

I have had no problems whatsoever, nor have we noticed any spike in our power bill. We live rural and pay a premium for our electricity so this was monitored closely.

Personally, Ive found it takes a good 45 minutes to properly heat up my machine. At a pinch 30, but 45 is far more stable. Having invested significant money and time into my setup I simply couldnt live with the irony of serving myself, my wife or a guest something other than espresso because the machine wasnt switched on. Screw that!

Comment

Usually, I have it on for 2 hours in the morning, 4 hours in the evening, during weekdays. Weekends it stays on most of the time except over night.

Comment

I used to leave mine on 24/7 but eventually put it on a timer.

It now comes on when I wake up at 6:00am so uits ready for my 7:00am coffee.

It stays on until 11:00am in case my wife wants some hot water and then switches of until 6:00pm when it goes back on in case someone wants a hot chocolate at night.

It then goes to sleep at 11:00pm and the cycle starts again.

On weekends I switch the timer to manual overide so that it stays on all day and I switch it back to auto when I go to bed.

The group gasket will deteriorate a bit faster if the machine is not on 24/7 but thats a minor cost.

I never noticed any significant change in the power bills before or after getting the machine so the amount of time its on obviously makes less of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1216853079/0#3 date=1216863700
          I used to leave mine on 24/7 but eventually put it on a timer.
          On weekends I switch the timer to manual overide so that it stays on all day and I switch it back to auto when I go to bed.

The group gasket will deteriorate a bit faster if the machine is not on 24/7 but thats a minor cost.

thanks, TG, Wrecker,
          timer is a good idea, I think. What sort of timers do you use, though... digital, I heard, what are they, are they safe for switching on/off this sort of equipment (power surge, etc)? I dont know, I wouldnt put my TV or something like that on timer, but I still think of timers in terms of little plastic things with pins in them ;-)

also, TG, could you please explain about the gasket. Not that I am worried too much that it will deteriorate faster. Its just for my information..

Comment

Mine is a HPM digital timer from Bunnings - about $25. I can highly recommend them, the timer displays in seconds making it a handy (depending on where your socket is) shot timer.

There have been threads debating the wisdom of using timers - electrical hazards - fire risk. I dont wish to re-awaken the debate so Id suggest you consult anyone you know who is a professional electrician. After that you can consult me if you like as a professional firefighter and if youre still concerned Ill put you on to professional fire investigators. Then you can make your own mind up if it is safe.

HINT: I use one...

Comment

The gasket detriorates quicker because of the hot/cold cycle.

Pedro from Coffee Parts mentioned it to me and from my own circumstances I did the maths and worked out his estimate was pretty spot on.

Bsically IIRC my gasket will last 12mths when on 24/7 but if its on half that time it will only last 6 months.

Not a big deal for a part costing only a few dollars, just nice to know.

Comment

Usually switch on about an hour before each coffee session. Leave on most of Sat. I fully agree with "Wrecker" 30 minute min (works for one coffee) and 45 minutes is all good for multiple shots and temp recovery.

Enjoy CB.

Comment

Mine goes on in the morning when I get up. I will only turn it off if I am leaving the house - I hate the thought of something going wrong when I am not home. Then it goes off when I go to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by damian1 link=1216853079/0#8 date=1216895393
                    Mine goes on in the morning when I get up.  I will only turn it off if I am leaving the house - I hate the thought of something going wrong when I am not home.  Then it goes off when I go to bed.
                    Yea I do pretty much the same

My wife gets up one hour or more before me and turns it on in the morning this is enough time to get it up to temp
                    So when I get up 8-) - the first thing on the to do list is an espresso for the love of my life "my wife" :-*

KK

Comment

I use a digital timer switch too they are now $9 from bunnings and do a 7 day program (so i can have it on most of the times on weekends).

Word for the wise though - make sure you still top it up the night before with water - this morning i wokeup to find that although my power was on the Bezerra had shut itself off cause of low water level!

I also have a power meter and i can tell you that my Bezzera Domus Galatea uses probably the same amount of power to switch on twice a day from cold as it does to stay on all day.

One thing I have though that would be interesting to get feedback on is the subject of scale buildup. Surely keeping the machine on for longer will result in faster scale buildup?

Comment

Every day - I turn the machine on around 6am, ready for the morning cuppa with my wife.
                        I turn it off when I leave for work and whoever gets home first turns it on in the evening.

I turn it off most nights, but I forget sometimes... weekends, it stays on all day, as we never know who will drop in....

P

Comment

VBM Domobar.
                          I use a digital timer to turn it on & off. On at 6:30AM, off at 9:30PM.
                          Timer sometimes adjusted to turn on at 5:30AM on days when my wife starts work at 7.
                          Manual override to turn off if I think it wont be needed any more that day,  or if we are leaving the house for the day.
                          I read a post somewhere that someone had done the maths on the power and worked out the cost per day of something like 10 cents. Even if it were more than that its hardly a problem when considering the cost of buying a coffee...

Comment

anthonyd - and other CSers who leave their machines on all day and havent noticed a spike in elec. bills -

im interested to find out how a machine left on all day doesnt increase power consumption compared to having it in in the am and pm? i understand that most power is needed for the initial heat up, but even still, with the thermostat running all day clicking on and off surely must require more power overall? (not digging at you, just really curious)

cheers
                            aaron

Comment

Aaron I think the point is that any increase (and yes there would be one) is not noticeable in the power bill.

Surely your bills fluctuate a few dollars here or there depending on things like having more lights on because its been a cloudy month or doing an extra few loads of washing for one reason or another.

Order pizza once or twice a month and run the dishwasher less.

A few warmer than usual days in winter can keep down heating costs etc etc etc.

Theres an old thread or two where someone did the math to prove it costs bugger all.

Comment

Working...
                              X