Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giotto premium plus- discussion thread

Hi all,

I have created this thread for discussion on the Rocket Giotto Premuim plus.

Thoughts on Giotto Premium Plus
    Having had a great run on the demo machine with plenty of shots, I thought it was an opportune time to report some observations:

Packaging:
    I am highly impressed with the change we have seen under the ownership of Rocket Espresso.

The machine ships surrounded by high density corrugated foam/poly packing to protect it. All accessories are now contained in a tray packed above the machine. They are housed in cutouts to ensure that they dont move in freight.

Whats in the box?
    Machine and accessory package containing double and single portafilters and baskets, a blind, and the usual plakky goodies- a brush, a crappy plakky tamper etc. The significant change here is the incorporation of a user manual. The manual is ring bound and actually makes sense! This will be of great use to beginners

The machine:
    There are a number of very significant changes.

External
    The machine looks soooo much better than the old GP  8-). All panelling is mirror finish stainless steel. I believe that the Giotto is now easily on par with Domus Galatea which in my opinion has led the class in external finish.

Notable are:[*]New funky brand plates front and rear[*]Cutouts in the top panel to locate the much thicker cup surround[*]Thicker? on/off switch. It feels better[*]Polished bakelite style steam and hot water wand handles and group lever[*]Dramatically better looking high polish drip tray and drip dray insert. The insert is drilled to match the holes in the cup warmer[*]Much better gauge- large, easy to read and round. I love the new gauge![*]Big commercial feet. These raise the machine off the bench and overcome the wobble experienced with the old Giotto. [*]The drip tray is still too small IMHO but there is now provision to add a drain unit for external drainage[*]No change to the tank. Its still easily filled via the removable plate on the top of the machine.[*]Powdercoat rather than painted chassis and acid etched markings on front panel (as of July 09)

In use:
    The work done on thermostability seems to have worked beautifully. The machine is well calibrated and cooling flush is small or barely required. I used our Urban blend in the Giotto and the Domobar Super on our bench and found the shots to be terrific from both- though a small cooling flush was required on the VBM if it had been idling for a while. The Giotto is more forgiving but if you want absolute GRUNT, you will be shopping in VBM land....

Milk texture performance has remained excellent with readily available dry steam- though the VBM has more pressure. The Giotto wand in my opinion is the best wand design in the class. I am unsure at present, but I *think* that our old thermostable Giotto may have a slight edge in steam pressure  :-/.

The power light now also serves as a visual low water level alarm. It flashes when its time to top up.

Internal:
    Tubing now 10mm- much larger than the old machine. This is a massive improvement
    Comercial Sirai pressurestat will be longer lived than the previous domestic version.
    Element 1300W

Overall:
    I believe that this newcomer represents a significant improvement in all areas over the old machine. With the commercial tubing and pressurestat internally as well as the running improvements incorporated from the previous machine. I am confident that the Giotto will continue to lead the class. The extra spend is justified over the old machine. This machine has taken a quantum leap in quality over the old Giotto Premium and should continue to be our best seller.

For more info: http://talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-rocket-giotto-premium-plus.php
    PDF brochure: http://talkcoffee.com.au/downloads/coffee-machines/giotto-premium-plus-flyer.pdf

If youd like to discuss this machine, please feel free to make contact using your preferred method.

Chris

Re: Giotto premium plus- discussion thread

Gee Chris, I cant believe you didnt mention that the pesky anti-vac valve that we loved to hate is no longer part of the internals!

Then again, that might have gone a while ago. :-/

Thanks for the review...I still love the look of this machine!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1218965225/0#1 date=1218969217
      Gee Chris, I cant believe you didnt mention that the pesky anti-vac valve that we loved to hate is no longer part of the internals!  

Then again, that might have gone a while ago.  :-/

Thanks for the review...I still love the look of this machine!
      Yes Dennis- upgraded in all 08 Rocket build machines

If you love the old one, the newie will blow your socks off! Photos really dont do it justice...

Chris

Comment

A little eye candy...

Now the learning curve begins!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Comment

Greeeen :P

And look, not a stray coffee ground anywhere -- bet that dont last ;D

Comment

that just LOOKS awesome
            im jealous andrew

Comment

Congratulations Andrew good choice.

Dennis you are welcome to play with this machine at my shop, bring the tools and will pull it a part.

Regards

Renzo

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bartoli link=1218965225/0#6 date=1219018429
                Congratulations Andrew good choice.

Dennis you are welcome to play with this machine at my shop, bring the tools and will pull it a part.

Regards

Renzo
                Thanks Renzo, I have another idea. Why dont you come over and Ill let you play with Dudley - but leave your tools at home!

;D

Comment

Dennis,

I may take you on the offer.......are still have some peruvians beans.

Renzo

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bartoli link=1218965225/0#6 date=1219018429

Let me know when youre gonna do it, and Ill see you there, hows this coming Saturday morning?

(Tools are packed)

Comment

Sorry, Yezza any other day will be OK. Saturday has become my biggest day now.

PM me if you want to arrange some time.

best regards

Renzo

Comment

I could probably help someone in Brisbane purchase one of these machines, who didnt want the M4D that might have come with it.

Know what I mean. Nudge Nudge

http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/specials/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by PhilMac link=1218965225/0#11 date=1219368347
                          I could probably help someone in Brisbane purchase one of these machines, who didnt want the M4D that might have come with it.

Know what I mean. Nudge Nudge  

http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/specials/index.php
                          Ahh Phil- you are a real trooper! ;D

Comment

Nah, I wouldnt do that. :

I should try and swing an overnight trip down there through work, drop in and say hello and bring my choice home in my luggage.

That sound better?

Comment

Minor upgrade - I can certainly give Chris a plug for the Giotto plus M4D package:

After dialing in the grinder, now sitting here drinking the best coffee I have ever made   Certainly an enjoyable journey and highly recommended combo.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Comment

Working...
                              X