Vibiemme razor blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibiemme razor blades

For those of you that love your Vibiemme Domobar as I do and enjoy wiping down the stainless and emptying the drip tray, you will have noticed that the object of your affection is actually laced with razor blades. That is, there are sharp edges everywhere. Some of the worst have razor sharp flashes left over from the stamping process. You can feel them with your finger nail. I’ve run a small fine grinding stone lightly over all the edges. This has done the trick. It will still cut you if you want it to but not as easily. If you are careful with the stone, there is no visual impact at all.

One would have thought VBM would have someone run a tool over the edges prior to assembly. This may add a few dollars to the cost but the CS would quickly recoup it through savings in band-aid costs.

Re: Vibiemme razor blades

Its about time someone mentioned about the sharp edges.

Ive been cut about 5 times on mine.

Some were REALLY really deep cuts. Didnt stop bleeding for an hour or so...

I have the scars to prove it!

Comment

Cant say Ive really noticed that on mine.....maybe I dont clean it enough.

Cheers

Comment

Yeah the Minore has a few edges that are like carrying a bundle of knives too.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilMac link=1219645835/0#2 date=1219649893
          Cant say Ive really noticed that on mine.....maybe I dont clean it enough.

Cheers
          +1

Comment

yes, one of the first things I noticed is the sharp edge of the top edge of the drip tray, cut straight from the guillotine, it wouldnt take much effort to round these edges off at the factory.

I probably will get around the cleaning the edges up one day, but doesnt worry me at the moment, I simply dont run my hand or fingers around the edge, all I do is empty the tray and on occasions run a bit of hot water thru it to rinse out coffee grinds

Comment

I had the back off my Levetta just the other day, adjusting the water level cut-out. It was only getting down to about half a tank before it would cut-out. Anyway, I probaly didnt have to take the back off, but I wanted a good look around anyway, and I still didnt cut myself :

While I was looking though I thought it would be good if the boiler had an insulating jacket to keep the heat in. Anyone ever heard of anything like that?

Cheers

Comment

Yeah, I found out about the razor blade drip tray edge the other night when cleaning - have been extra careful ever since. Will run a diamond file over it, should solve the problem.

But yes, I agree that this could have been done at the factory..

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PhilMac link=1219645835/0#6 date=1219915611
                  While I was looking though I thought it would be good if the boiler had an insulating jacket to keep the heat in. Anyone ever heard of anything like that?
                  I reckon that would result in less power usage but wouldnt you end up with cold cups on top? :P

Mark

Comment

I usually fill a cup with water and zap it in the microwave for a minute, just to warm it up. While that is happening, I have time to grind and tamp etc. Rinsing the cup sets it up for its next run in the microwave......

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by PhilMac link=1219645835/0#6 date=1219915611

Cheers
                      I was thinking that myself. It can only improve efficiency and it might improve temperature stability as well. No doubt the manufacturers would not consider the cost of electricity an issue for purchasers of their machines so havent bothered with insulation. However, I dont think it would be a good idea to insulate the heat exchanger pipes. That might change the thermal equilibrium of the system resulting in higher group temperatures.

Comment

Originally posted by BobT link=1219645835/0#10 date=1219924152
                        I was thinking that myself.  It can only improve efficiency and it might improve temperature stability as well.  No doubt the manufacturers would not consider the cost of electricity an issue for purchasers of their machines so havent bothered with insulation.  However, I dont think it would be a good idea to insulate the heat exchanger pipes.  That might change the thermal equilibrium of the system resulting in higher group temperatures.
                        This topic has been discussed a few times over the years (at great length :) so a search will reveal all...

Mal.

Comment

If its any consolation, Synesso cuts have been a common complaint at the Maling Room for years.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

I strongly disagree.

This is no consolation, it is poor quality control.

The forum needs to ask...is it acceptable?

Regardz,
                            Attilio.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee link=1219645835/0#13 date=1219961287
                              I strongly disagree.

This is no consolation, it is poor quality control.

The forum needs to ask...is it acceptable?

Regardz,
                              Attilio.
                              Agreed

Comment

Working...
                              X