Silvia with an E61 grouphead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia with an E61 grouphead

I dig my Silvia and Im happy to keep using it for an indefinite time, but sometimes I wish I could have just a little more temp stability.
    Ive toyed with the idea of a PID and there is a very real possibility of that in the near future.

But Id also like to consider an upgrade to a machine with an E61 grouphead....one day

Is there a machine that compares to the Silvia in build quality and reliability but with an E61?

Basically what Im aiming for could be described as a Silvia but with an E61 group.

What machines come close to that description?

Re: Silvia with an E61 grouphead

Hi Gronk62,

Youre basically looking at the E61 single boiler machines, Diadema Perfetta, Vibiemme Piccolo etc as the next step up. But you wouldnt be doing justice to these machines to describe them as Silvias with E61 groups ... and the price jump is a reflection of the difference.

Happy to go over the options, pros/cons in detail. PM me and I can call you back,

charlie

Comment

Solid+reliable+E61=Expobar Leva

Comment

I have been through this thought process - do you PID a Silvia or move up to a HX.....

IMHO - you will temperature surf a single boiler E61 the same way you temp surf your Silvia - I guess the difference is the E61 head could give you more consistency.

But -  unless you PID this new single boiler with the E61 head -->  how will you know if it is better than your Silvia - as it will still have a thermostat that regulates the temp that has a high and low point?

Cheers,
        Col.

Comment

Originally posted by Col link=1226216242/0#3 date=1226228475
          I have been through this thought process - do you PID a Silvia or move up to a HX.....

IMHO - you will temperature surf a single boiler E61 the same way you temp surf your Silvia - I guess the difference is the E61 head could give you more consistency.

But -  unless you PID this new single boiler with the E61 head -->  how will you know if it is better than your Silvia - as it will still have a thermostat that regulates the temp that has a high and low point?

Cheers,
          Col.
          This has been my train of thought.

Like I said, I dig the Silvia, and can live with the quirks. I think maybe the difference in price from Silvia to say an Expobar Leva would be a huge jump for possibly not a "huge" improvement in performance.

I do like the look and layout of the Expobar Leva Thundergod and the reviews Ive read so far seem to back up your description.

Charlie, thanks for the offer but Im not close enough $$ wise to be taking the plunge just yet. Still researching possible options.

Its a pity the Aus $ has taken a dive as this pretty much rules out a PID kit for the time being. Freight and exchange rate would just make it too expensive.

Comment

You might be right about not much improvement from a Silvia to a Leva.

But there are other advantages it has over the Silvia though that might suit you Gronk and might not.

The drip tray on the Leva is HUGE! (read HUGE!).
            3 litre water tank of which 2 is usable before the low water cutout.
            2 litre boiler (lots and lots and lots of steam).

Did I mention lots of steam?

And while Col is right about temp surfing a little with my Expobar, that is just a quick cooling flush after sitting idle.

Chris tested the temp on mine yesterday and its running a couple of degrees hot.
            It is also running at about 1.3 bar as well so Im going to drop the boiler pressure to about 1.1 and that should bring the temp down those couple of degrees.
            It seems to have crept up to 1.3 over the 2 years Ive had it.
            Chris said this can happen either way sometimes; up or down.

I dont think temp surfing is as big an issue as it can be on a Silvia.

Remember: Silvia was going to be my choice before deciding on the Leva.

Comment

gronk62, FWIW...I recently (read 3 weeks ago) upgraded from a VBM Domobar Levetta to a VBM Domobar Super to ease the pain of steaming...

and was pleasently surprised in the jump in espresso shot quality. I knew the VBM Super would make a better espresso shot but not by that much. Now my shots are consistently more sweeter and tastier.

Same group head, but a better shot, believe it or not! I know its not fair to compare, but I understand that the 2 machines measure brew temp differently - the Super measures boiler pressure as opposed to the Levettas boiler temp. Maybe this accounts for someting...

Javabeen.

Comment

The main difference with a HX machine is the ease of the whole process
                Easy to make coffee
                Easy to steam milk
                Easy to clean

Did I mention easy to steam milk

Gronk its just less stress all round

Find someone that has a HX machine and try it out
                If you can’t afford a new one then consider a used one

One good thing is that your Pullman tamper for the Silvia is 58mm and will fit the E61 58mm baskets

KK

Comment

Silvia with an E61 grouphead  :-?

So you want a PITA with one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Col link=1226216242/0#3 date=1226228475

Cheers,
                    Col.
                    I disagree Col,

The thermal mass of the e-61 brings with it temperature stability and we proved it over the weekend in Sydney running multiple Scace shots with the VBM Domobar Vashetta. No malibu required

The VBM is adjustable via the inbuilt rheostat and when correctly set up, will give you brilliant performance. It isnt HX and for me on a daily basis, thats a deal breaker- but for someone prepared to manage this type of machine its brilliant. We saw some vairation, so Ill be running each Vashetta I see here onwards through the same test protocol. I think its needed.

I am also getting terrific performance out of my Diadema Perfetta (car boot machine). The Perfetta is configured more like a Silvia with high and low temp thermostats, but even then, the group head makes it perform at a whole different level to the Silvia. If you wanted to go to the nth degree and PID, the installation on a Perfetta would be pretty much identical to a Silvia but way OTT in my opinion.

Chris

Comment

Hey thanks for the advice all.

I went into the local coffee boutique yesterday and checked out some of the fancy shmancy machines they have in stock and I reckon I could handle one of those sittin on my bench. Dunno if my wife would agree though ;D

Whopping jump in price though. $750 for my Silvia. $2200+ for some of the fancy ones. Thats about 3 times the price. Is the coffee from these machine 3 times as good as is possible from a Silvia?

Comment

Hi Gronk,

Sounds like youre describing the Diadema Perfetta and Viviemme Domobar Vashetta (Piccolo/Levetta) to me. These dual purpose single boiler e-61 machines operate like a Silvia and they will give you plenty of change out of $2k and great temperature stability. They look terrific too! 8-)

I hear those Talk Coffee guys sell em (as well as a few of the other sponsors). Their prices will be better than the "local boutique" as well...
                        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by javabeen link=1226216242/0#6 date=1226404561
                          gronk62, FWIW...I recently (read 3 weeks ago) upgraded from a VBM Domobar Levetta to a VBM Domobar Super to ease the pain of steaming...

and was pleasently surprised in the jump in espresso shot quality. I knew the VBM Super would make a better espresso shot but not by that much. Now my shots are consistently more sweeter and tastier.

Same group head, but a better shot, believe it or not! I know its not fair to compare, but I understand that the 2 machines measure brew temp differently - the Super measures boiler pressure as opposed to the Levettas boiler temp. Maybe this accounts for someting...

Javabeen.
                          hey javabeen

interesting that you noticed a difference in ESPRESSO qualty between single boiler and HX. i have not played with eiether machine you have had but wonder what may have contributed to the better espresso? different temp maybe?
                          what are your thoughts? from memory, reading older posts re the espresso extraction on e61 hx v e61 single boiler, i cant recall there being a sig. diff in the shots produced by each..
                          hhmmm

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1226216242/0#11 date=1226471047
                            Sounds like youre describing the Diadema Perfetta and Viviemme Domobar Vashetta (Piccolo/Levetta) to me. These dual purpose single boiler e-61 machines operate like a Silvia and they will give you plenty of change out of $2k and great temperature stability. They look terrific too!  8-)

I hear those Talk Coffee guys sell em (as well as a few of the other sponsors). Their prices will be better than the "local boutique" as well...
                            Chris
                            mmmmmmm... way to dangle the carrot Chris!

And at affordable and sensible prices too

I think I can feel the upgrade bug starting to bite again

Comment

Hes a bad man dangling all his bling in front of you like that.  ;D. Id have a tough time deciding now that there are 2 options being promoted in roughly the same price category (give or take a couple of hundred). However, I assume the full S/S option on the right side is now quickly approaching the $2K mark. Appearance wise, the left one does look like it has a bit more attention to detail, but the right one is just downright sexy (if one is permitted to describe a coffee machine in those terms).... :

Comment

Working...
                              X