Trouble with Expobar Minore II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Expobar Minore II

I need some help from those who are more mechanically and electronically inclined than I am.

As of a couple of nights ago, the steam-wand on my Minore started producing steam with a distinct metallic smell.  When inspecting the water residue from the steam, the color also appears to be a little off (slightly tinge of yellow/brown).

Some other observations:

* machines starts up fine
    * the boilers seem to be working fine - heats and steams up
    * temperature LED and pressure gauges seem to be normal
    * the brew head seems to extract and pull shots normally

I switched off the machine and turned it one again a few minutes later and noticed a strange gurgling noise but might have been my paranoia.

Could not happen at a worse time... I have a batch of freshly roasted Ethiopian Yirgacheffe resting and waiting to be brewed this weekend when the family comes over!

Thought Id put this out to those who know the internals of coffee machines more than I do.  The machine is a bit over 1.5 years old and I only really put it to good use on weekends.  

Any ideas why this might be the case with the steam wand - has something gone wrong in the brewing internals?  

Thanks - Andrew

Re: Trouble with Expobar Minore II

Andrew
    might be time to descale the machine if you have never done it.

Comment

Gday Andrew,

Johns on the money I reckon mate.... 8-)

Im not sure what it says in your Minore II Users Manual but usually, with any boiler used exclusively for steam generation, you need to flush clean water through them quite regularly so as to avoid concentrating the build-up of TDS and ultimately trigger rapid scale formation. This is not so much of a problem in a HX machine as most of these have a Hot Water Dispenser that draws from the water in the boiler and not the brew circuit. Regular use of this dispenser results in sufficient water turnover and avoids the problem of sudden scale deposition.

Looks like youre gonna have to visit Bomboras web page and identify a descaling product most suited for your machine or contact one our other sponsors who will be able to advise you accordingly. All the best mate,

Mal.

Comment

How often do you dump the water in the steam boiler? That water can get pretty stagnant after a while. I have a habit of dumping it through the hot water tap once a week at least.

Comment

May be your antivacumm valve has is not working properly and instead of discharging the air from the boiler has created a vacumm and you have a bit of milk inside this boiler. Solution will be as Yezza suggest dump the water from the steam boiler a couple of times and you should se the change. Replace the antivacumm valve as well in case.

have anice day

Renzo

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1227092163/0#2 date=1227099779
            Im not sure what it says in your Minore II Users Manual but usually, with any boiler used exclusively for steam generation, you need to flush clean water through them quite regularly so as to avoid concentrating the build-up of TDS and ultimately trigger rapid scale formation. This is not so much of a problem in a HX machine as most of these have a Hot Water Dispenser that draws from the water in the boiler and not the brew circuit.
            The hot water tap on the Brewtus hooks in to the steam boiler.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark link=1227092163/0#5 date=1227138200
              The hot water tap on the Brewtus hooks in to the steam boiler.
              Excellent.... Then it should be an easy matter to cycle fresh water through the boiler on a regular basis,

Mal.

Comment

All fixed now...

Descaled and serviced - boiler probe inserted correctly - pump placement adjusted so that it doesnt rattle the building - water filter cartridge replaced.

Anti-vac valve was and still is working correctly

Comment

great news, time to enjoy those shots again

Comment

Wow!

Excellent service Den.... Do you hide the Superman costume behind Dudley or what? ;D

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1227092163/0#9 date=1227167799
                      Wow!

Excellent service Den.... Do you hide the Superman costume behind Dudley or what? ;D

Mal.
                      Thanks Mal. Id look silly in a superman outfit. ;D

Comment

Think youd do a better job of it than I would mate.... ;D

Remember the Daffy Duck superhero alter-ego "Stupor Duck"; the one with the very baggy tights that were always bunching up around his ankles? Well, thatd be me. Have a slight case of Ducks Disease Den, so would need to use bicycle clips to stop the tights flapping around off the end of my toes.... : [smiley=laugh.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Hi all - thanks to everyone that replied to this.  I took the advice to get the Minore descaled and cleaned up.  So packed it up and off it went to Dennis at Cuppacoffee who did a fantastic job.  Not only a very thorough service and clean up, but also got some useful advice and tips from Dennis on looking after the machine.  Brought the machine back home all shiny and it performed just like a new machine again!

Picked up some other coffee accessories too whilst I was there... as well as some roasted beans.  All sorted out - talk about a one stop shop  ;D

Big thank you to Dennis for jumping in and saving the day so quickly.  Mal, Im sure I saw a bit of red cape hidden behind the bag o beans.  

Needless to say the relo bash was a success on Saturday and everyone got to enjoy their coffee!

Cheers - Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by 30in30 link=1227092163/0#12 date=1227404103
                            Mal, Im sure I saw a bit of red cape hidden behind the bag o beans.....

Cheers - Andrew
                            Now we just need to get Dennis to stop wearing his y-fronts on the outside : ;D

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Andrew...I love a happy ending!

Comment

Working...
                              X