Diadema Perfetta - The assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diadema Perfetta - The assessment

Well I have had the machine almost a month now and I love it. I dont have experience with any other type of home machine - only the two-group Boema at the TAFE College - but I could not imagine any single-boiler being better to look at, easier to use or more effective. I think having an adequate grinder obviously removes one set of problems from the equation. It took only three pours using different grinds to find the right one for the beans and after that pretty well perfect pours every time. I enjoyed the Urban Blend beans from Chris and am currently towards the end of the Ethiopian Harrar Longberry from Andy. Both taste great. I cant wait to get into some of the others in the Starter Pack.
    The Perfetta makes steam like a coal-fired locomotive and texturing milk is a breeze even for a newbie like me.
    I think it is a shame that the maker provides only a crappy little user manual which is written in pidgin English. With Chriss help I have created my own. The only thing I found difficult was getting my head around all the flushing and priming and that was because the manual does not explain anything.
    I have been making all sorts of coffee for the family over Christmas and they are sold on it - a bit of a turn-around in opinion about Dads extravagant hobby. The Spouse thinks it is so beautiful it is comparable to a Rolex Cellini watch.
    So...every morning tea is an eagerly awaited event. Big tick for the Perfetta.

Re: Diadema Perfetta - The assessment

user manuals with all machines only covers the mechanical / electronic usage, not how to make coffee

the diadema is an excellent machine, with good backing by the importer

graham

Comment

Hi Rocky
      I am also a new Perfetta owner, and love it. I am learning new things every day, and can appreciate the skill involved in delivering that perfect shot. Can i ask, when do you prime your machine, and what does this involve? also, when making a second round of coffee, do you have to completely purge all the steam out of the wand and start fresh again or can you pull another shot and use the remaining steam to texture your milk again, the reason i ask is that there seems to be a lot of steam to get rid of if this is the case.
      sorry for the essay.

Comment

Originally posted by 5C696D7E600C0 link=1230793442/2#2 date=1232451830
        Hi Rocky
        I am also a new Perfetta owner, and love it. I am learning new things every day, and can appreciate the skill involved in delivering that perfect shot. Can i ask, when do you prime your machine, and what does this involve? also, when making a second round of coffee, do you have to completely purge all the steam out of the wand and start fresh again or can you pull another shot and use the remaining steam to texture your milk again, the reason i ask is that there seems to be a lot of steam to get rid of if this is the case.
        sorry for the essay.
        Espresso Comapny Australia have a good guide- for the VBM Piccolo but equally important for any dual purpose single boiler machine such as the Perfetta..

Have a read over http://espressocompany.com.au/downloads/DomobarUserGuideSteaming.pdf

Id be wary of texturing for more than 4 milky coffees without priming the boiler as you risk cooking an element and the associated $$$ to replace it.

2mcm

Comment

Thanks 2mcm, appreciate the feedback and the link.

cheers

Comment

Hi Pearl, you call that an essay - here is an essay!. After reading the manual, talking with Chris, and thinking about what was involved, I decided upon the following process.
            I switch-on about 25mins before I pull the first shot. Shortly after switching-on I prime the boiler (tap on, switch to right - water squirts - switch to middle, tap off.
            About 20mins later the machine is hot enough to use so I flush the Group and then pull the shot. If wanting to steam, I then purge the wand (which takes about 20 seconds to purge the water and get a full jet of steam) I then texture my milk and before I do anything else I prime the boiler (as in the first step)
            Yes, it does put out quite a bit of steam before the water comes through the wand again.
            I then purge the Group again and pull my next shot, and if I need some more milk I go through the steaming process again.
            I always prime the boiler immediately after steaming regardless of whether I need to steam again in a minute or two. It is my understanding that this is necessary in order to be certain that the element is protected. In the same way I always back-flush the group as soon as I have pulled the last coffee so that the coffee-residue does not have a chance to bake in the shower screen & Group. Yes, I am an old fuss-pot but I rarely have problems with my machinery. Feel free to discuss further - talk is cheap! Great to make contact with another Perfetta owner. Regards, Hal.

Comment

Brilliant! thank you very much, I think it is crucial to have an understanding of how your machine works, and whilst a bit of common sense usually helps, a little knowledge can be dangerous, the last thing i wanted to do was damage my little gem. Now i have a clear routine which i can follow, certainly nothing wrong with being a fusspot and doing things right eh. thanks again!

Comment

Thanks Hal for the info,

Was originally very interested in the baby VBM, but after seeing the Perfetta, was quite taken by her. I take it that your still very happy with your machine?

Rgds Paul

Comment

Hey guys, just thought Id add to the post, Ive had mine for close on 6 months now and love every bit of it, its beautiful, and always in a good mood, I dont have a bad thing to say about it, did i mention its beautiful though???

Comment

Paul & Iconiq,
                    I too almost bought a VBM but my head was turned by the beauty of the Diadema and I still think its overall performance lives up to its appearance.
                    As the number of pours increases I am trying to learn a bit more about the Diadema with the objective of improving the result even more.  I managed a really good tasting cup within a few pours - usually the expected 30ml in 30 secs.  I  have now tried 3 different beans (Sponsor Andys Starter Pack) and although the flavour is really good I find I am not getting much crema on a pour (maybe a couple of mm only) I guess I had expected several mm - do you think that is unrealistic?  What sort of pours are you guys doing?  I have tried varying the grind a notch or two either way without any noticeable difference.  I have noticed a difference in the pour between use of the double & single portafilter in terms of length of the pour - see my thread in the General Section.  Im interested to compare experiences with other Diadema users.

Comment

Looks like youve  made a good choice Rocky , Im a recent owner of the little VBM , and while Im extremely happy with it and the shots it produces ,I can see a few design flaws that are not apparent with the Perfetta or the Isomac Zaffiro.

That is the dumb placement the water and steam heat switches almost under the steaming wand. You can get burnt or scalded by the thing, and you will...... It would make much more sense to have them out of the way .
                      Plus the Piccolo could do with a bigger water tank ..!!

My choice was really influenced by the price so I cant complain . Thus far Im a pretty happy single boiler user .

So congrats on the Perfetta , Im sure there are many great shots in front of you....

Comment

Thanks Hotshot, I think you still got a good machine and it was only Chriss enthusiasm & all the pretty chrome (which appeals to dinosaurs like me who remember 60s sports cars) that finally tipped the scales in favour of the Perfetta.
                        I tend to agree with the experts on here that with enough dedication you can get a decent cup out of just about anything. I was keen not to make it more difficult for myself than necessary as I am essentially output rather than process focused. I am a bit piccy who I make coffee for - if they wont appreciate it then they get dripolated.
                        I agonised over whether I should stretch the budget for a HX but like you I think I made a good decision as I enjoy using the single boiler machine and I dont really need the dual capacity capability of the HX. I have a lot to learn however and must admit to being just a bit intimidated by the level of complexity inherent in the quest for perfect coffee.
                        Cheers.

Comment

Your review Rocky has tempted me to downgrade my machine intentions. I had thought about shelling out for a double boiler $3000 machine, but I am now thinking a Perfetta might be adequate for my purposes. I would generally only do 6-12 cups a day and the odd dinner party of 8. I live in an apartment and do not have much kitchen space. Thus a perfetta is tempting matched to a Mazzer Mini. Do you regret not going for a HX? Do you imagine the temptation hitting after the first year or two?

Comment

Originally posted by 646F66653D323E0A0 link=1230793442/12#12 date=1235425223
                            Your review Rocky has tempted me to downgrade my machine intentions. I had thought about shelling out for a double boiler $3000 machine, but I am now thinking a Perfetta might be adequate for my purposes. I would generally only do 6-12 cups a day and the odd dinner party of 8. I live in an apartment and do not have much kitchen space. Thus a perfetta is tempting matched to a Mazzer Mini. Do you regret not going for a HX? Do you imagine the temptation hitting after the first year or two?
                            Hi Nelo,

6-8 is HX territory for mine.

You could look at a Bezzera BZ07 if your bench space it tight...

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 0B544C5A515A565F5F5C5C545857390 link=1230793442/13#13 date=1235425665
                              Originally posted by 646F66653D323E0A0 link=1230793442/12#12 date=1235425223
                              Hi Nelo,

6-8 is HX territory for mine.

You could look at a Bezzera BZ07 if your bench space is tight...

2mcm
                              Thanks for the tip. I guess I will stay with HX thoughts then.

Bench space problem is depth rather than width which is little difference on the BZ07 compared to Isomacs and others. Cant touch the others for aesthetics either!

Comment

Working...
                              X