VBM Domobar Owners Unite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBM Domobar Owners Unite!

Please bear in mind that the selection of a coffee machine is truly a personal thing, and that my preferences are not those of every person - neither are my aesthetic tastes. My comments are only to explain why I made my purchase, and not intended to suggest that my choice is the right one for everyone.

Ive had my Silvia for about four years now, and its had a lot of love during that time. Its the machine that I used to begin my wifes exploration into the coffee world, and the machine that took me down the long and windy road towards the destination of consistently good coffee.

So why then did I want to upgrade? There were a few reasons, and one tipping point - not to mention upgraditis.

Generally I just make coffee for my wife and I. However, when we entertain, or even just have family over Id find that Silvia would run out of puff and Id generally miss out on the social fun while waiting for the boiler to get up to temp for the eighth coffee - only to then have people asking for seconds.

During a visit to my brothers over the Christmas period I got to use his HX machine (thanks to CosmoreX for supplying that) and was amazed at how easy it was to get a coffee of a higher standard than I would at home. At this point I decided that it was time for an upgrade. (Silvia will be moving into a new home at a friends place who is looking to begin his own coffee journey.)

After a good experience with Chris for the supply of coffee hardware to my work, I turned to him again for my own purchase. From discussing the pros and cons of Dual Boiler and HX machines, I decided to go down the HX path, and it seemed the Giotto would suit my needs quite well. Bring on the Internet research! After reading plenty here and other external sites, I was reasonably certain that my new machine would be a Giotto Premium Plus.

Enter the test drives. I went to visit Dennis down at Cuppacoffee, and saw the machines in the flesh for the first time.

1. Giotto Premium Plus
    2. Diadema Junior
    3. VBM Domobar

My first impressions just by looking were that the Giotto was very flashy, the VBM was sleek, and the Diadema was stuck somewhere in between. Despite the brilliant finish on the Giotto, I found my eyes wandering to the VBM as Dennis took me through each machine, and the pros and cons from his perspective.

After the (all important) cost comparison, I was pleasantly surprised to realise that the VBM was just inside my budget.
    So why did I pick it?
    1. The Giotto and the VBM were both good in the cup.
    2. The VBM had a large drip tray, while the Giotto left much to be desired. Not a deal breaker, but convenient when entertaining.
    3. The VBM looked the business. I hate to say it, but the Giotto just didnt have the appeal to my aesthetic tastes - despite the art deco influence within our house that it would have slipped nicely into. The simple, straight lines of the VBM to my eye look elegant and refined.
    4. The VBM has a larger tank, larger boiler capacity and a higher wattage element.

At this point shes all hooked up and just getting up to temperature. Were having some visitors in half an hour, at which point Ill be happy to add some extra comments about the usability of the machine, and hopefully to add some photos!

Grant

Re: VBM Domobar Owners Unite!

Congrats Grant

I assume you mean the VBM Domobar Super. I hope your choice lives up to its promise

You didnt mention why you overlooked the Diadema of the three you mentioned or, for that matter, other HXs such as the Bezzera Domus Galatea. You said "The Giotto and the VBM were both good in the cup". Do we infer that the Diadema was not as good?

Comment

Originally posted by flynn_aus link=1230870332/0#1 date=1230870799
      Congrats Grant

I assume you mean the VBM Domobar Super. I hope your choice lives up to its promise

You didnt mention why you overlooked the Diadema of the three you mentioned or, for that matter, other HXs such as the Bezzera Domus Galatea. You said "The Giotto and the VBM were both good in the cup". Do we infer that the Diadema was not as good?

Hi flynn,

Grant did in fact purchase a Domobar Super.

FWIW, I think that the Diadema Junior Extra is a brilliant machine- as are all of their other machines. The VBM has more steam grunt due to a larger element and boiler- irrelevant unless youre planning 50 shots back to back.

I think that Diadema machines are often (wrongly) overlooked. My shot of the week last week in fact came from a Diadema Perfetta which I classify as a category killer machine. Another bonus of most of the Diadema range is a smaller footprint than the Giotto or VBM.

These are all outstanding machines, all with nuances and Grant chose the right machine for his requirements- which is what its all about...

Grant, I wish you many god shots and welcome you to the Talk Coffee owners club

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by flynn_aus link=1230870332/0#1 date=1230870799
        Congrats Grant

Hi Flynn,

I didnt mean to infer that at all. In fact my brothers machine (that I think so highly of) is in fact a Diadema Unico Splendor - but his wife has a thing with people "copying" what they do, so I had already decided not to get a Diadema machine.

As for other HX options, it was more a matter of what was available to see - perhaps with more time I would have evaluated more machines, however the three I mention were the machines Dennis had available for me to see, touch and feel.

As Chris said, the machine I ended up with was the one that was right for me - and doesnt imply in any way that other machines are inferior.

Grant

Comment

A couple of pics

Need more space in the kitchen....

Shiny

Next some time to dial in the grind (glad our visitors drink their coffee with milk). Ill get some pics of the pour when Im happy with the cup.

Grant

Comment

Cooooolllllll..... 8-)

Better watch out that spatter from the stove doesnt end up on the VBM Grant, thatd be a crying shame Wheres the grinder?

Mal.

Comment

My first thought on putting her in was that I needed more space - Rocky is hiding shamefaced behind, just not pretty enough to be in the photo

I have protective measures lined up, and the next project is building myself a dedicated coffee bench in a spot currently used by a pot plant.

Next will be a grinder upgrade, but one step at a time!

Grant

Comment

Originally posted by fringe_dweller link=1230870332/0#0 date=1230870332
                At this point shes all hooked up and just getting up to temperature. Were having some visitors in half an hour, at which point Ill be happy to add some extra comments about the usability of the machine, and hopefully to add some photos!
                Nice piece of bling Grant. Looks great in your kitchen but definitely needs a different location. Sounds like you already have that thought out but consider moving the Rocky onto the right side.

So did the visitors ask for seconds? I dont think I need to ask how it went compared to the Silvia. Does handle with the single spout (sitting on top) come with the machine?

Comment

(Dsylexics of the world Untie! sorry couldnt resist).

I went through a similar process, and also decided on the VBM, and couldnt be happier.
                  My neighbour recently got a Giotto for Xmas, and asked my help getting it set up. I was struck by a number of differences between the machines that I think are helpful, especially to n00bs. The extra dial on the VBM is great to see how things are going during the pour, and whilst blind cleaning. The drip tray needs no more mention.
                  I find the Giotto is slightly more attractive then the VBM, but it is a pretty machine, whilst the VBM is a %^& off tuff machine, which I like.
                  The other thing I find is that I can churn out the morning coffees for myself and the wife faster and with less effort then the old machine (Gaggia classic), but I can not explain why. Even my wife commented on it one morning.
                  Hope you enjoy your machine as much as I am enjoying mine!

Comment

...and a pic, also showing off the new pullman tamper I got for Xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn_aus link=1230870332/0#7 date=1230887874

So did the visitors ask for seconds? I dont think I need to ask how it went compared to the Silvia. Does handle with the single spout (sitting on top) come with the machine?
                      It came with both the double and single.

At the moment I would say I was still making better coffees with Silvia, but I can see that with practice Im going to be able to do a whole lot better with the Domobar (really need to name her).

Originally posted by ona rampage link=1230870332/0#9 date=1231041302
                      ...and a pic, also showing off the new pullman tamper I got for Xmas.
                      Very nice!

Grant

Comment

Originally posted by fringe_dweller link=1230870332/0#10 date=1231134973
                        (really need to name her).
                        Grant
                        How about Vivian (the VBM)?? It has a ring to it.

Yes, OK, I know the pronunciation is (La) Vibiemm-ay but work with me on this

Comment

You know, as I wrote that post I was thinking Vivian - Ill take that as a sign, Vivian it is

Grant

Comment

Also just bought the VBM - (picked up on sat) and we are loving it.
                            I wish I could drink more coffee!!!

Are you getting the leaking from the drip tray? I need to track down the thread on how to resolve that issue.

Rgds
                            Ben

Comment

Hey Ben,

No leak for me, but Im assuming youre losing it from where the handle screws on? One of a few solutions spring to mind:

1. Empty the tray before the water gets that high
                              2. Find a plumbing washer for the inside
                              3. Silicon the existing washer in place

Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X