Descaling HX boilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descaling HX boilers

Ive had my Isomac Tea for a week now and reading the manual it says to use vinegar to descale the boiler.
    Does anyone use this method or can you use a proprietary descaling solution? eg Caffetto or similar?

Re: Descaling HX boilers

you can use anything you want. Standard old citric acid, cafetto, cino cleano just to name a few. Just be careful with HCl (hydrochloric acid)

Comment

Originally posted by 7E5C5A41464C5A290 link=1232266712/1#1 date=1232269489
      you can use anything you want. Standard old citric acid, cafetto, cino cleano just to name a few. Just be careful with HCl (hydrochloric acid)
      Im not that crazy on straight citric as it can lift plaques of scale which can then cause blockages in other areas. The good commercial descalers also contain sulphonic acid which will dissolve the plaques. A small amount of money well spent IMHO.

Comment

What is the procedure they describe in the manual Greenman
        Keen to see what the manufacturer recommends

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 7C233B2D262D2128282B2B232F204E0 link=1232266712/2#2 date=1232270795
          Im not that crazy on straight citric as it can lift plaques of scale which can then cause blockages in other areas. The good commercial descalers also contain sulphonic acid which will dissolve the plaques. A small amount of money well spent IMHO.
          Yep, Im with you Chris and can vouch for how great a job the Bombora "Clean Machine - Triple Action" descaler works. Brought up the internals of my little Bezzs Boiler, the Heat Exchanger, the Group and all associated pipework to as good as new condition. Highly recommended over the use of Citric Acid on its own.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

What you use really depends on whether or not youre doing the descale in-situ or remotely by taking the whole boiler out.

Comment

This is the procedure in my manual.

Comment

Originally posted by 270A0E020F630 link=1232266712/4#4 date=1232272507
                Originally posted by 7C233B2D262D2128282B2B232F204E0 link=1232266712/2#2 date=1232270795
                Yep, Im with you Chris and can vouch for how great a job the Bombora "Clean Machine - Triple Action" descaler works. Brought up the internals of my little Bezzs Boiler, the Heat Exchanger, the Group and all associated pipework to as good as new condition. Highly recommended over the use of Citric Acid on its own.... 8-)

Mal.
                Thanks Mal, I think this is the way to go when I need to do a descale, just getting prepared for these tasks at the moment and getting a feel for my new toy!!

Comment

Originally posted by 51445353585B5758360 link=1232266712/7#7 date=1232275257
                  Thanks Mal, I think this is the way to go when I need to do a descale, just getting prepared for these tasks at the moment and getting a feel for my new toy!!
                  Yes mate, understood that ok.... Dont think youll need to think about any serious descaling for a long time yet, providing you are using appropriately filtered low-ish TDS water....

Cheers,
                  Mal.

Comment

Perth water is pretty bad, I think I will do it at least a few times a year.
                    Im using a Stefani cartridge water filter.

Comment

As far as I can tell the Stefani filters will NOT affect the dissolved solids (or mineralisation) of the water and therefore the hardness remains.

From what I saw of Perth water Id be mixing it with rainwater, or reverse osmosis water, or descaling quite regularly.

A search of the watercorporation website should provide the details of the water from each reservoir.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 103D393538540 link=1232266712/4#4 date=1232272507

Mal.
                        Just out of interest, where can you buy the Clean Machine Triple Action cleaner from? Bombora appear to be wholesale only from what I can gather from their website.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A616464080 link=1232266712/11#11 date=1232365807
                          Just out of interest, where can you buy the Clean Machine Triple Action cleaner from?
                          Most Sponsors stock it.

Comment

I am not a fan of end users descaling the boilers in their semi commercial heat exchanger machines. They are not designesd to be "descaled" in the way you do a domestic machine, and have far more nooks and crannies where the solution may or may not get to, or from where you may or may not be able to flush the solution out afterwards.

You cannot get all the solution (of whatever you used to do the descaling) out of the boiler once youve put it in there, unless the particular individual machine has a a bung or some other opening at the bottom of the boiler through which you would flush the machine out. This is not an operation that most end users would be willing to undertake and most would have to go out and buy a tube spanner to remove for example, the electric element if that is the bottom most outlet to the boiler. If you are not a "handy man" leave it well alone, and note it would mean disconnecting and reconnecting some form of electrickery. This is certainly not recommended to be done by unqualified persons and if a machine is under guarantee it will immediately be voided.

Far better to have softened the water before it goes into the machine either by using externally softened water, or by running the water through a scale inhibiting filter before it goes into the tank of your machine.

Anyone interested in the little rechargeable water softener cartridges that can be placed on the end of most silicon inlet pipes in your water tank, can get one from me.

Reiterating......soften the water before it goes into the machine.

You may also wish to note. Scale build up in your boiler will do absolutely nothing either to the operation of the machine or the flavour of the coffee. It is in the coffee brewing circuit where the scale will eventually have an effect, most often in the piping and jetting running to and through the group which can and will get blocked up in the long term because the jet size is small.

Regardz,
                            Attilio.

Comment

Originally posted by 14213634043C213E323F37530 link=1232266712/10#10 date=1232364323
                              Id be mixing it with rainwater, or reverse osmosis water
                              The water from your desal plant is treated by reverse osmosis - does that count?

Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X