Giotto Premium Steam Tip Recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giotto Premium Steam Tip Recommendations please

I have a Giotto premium and just cant get the milk stretching right (too many small bubbles about 1mm in diameter) and have decided to give a different steam tip a go...  I am (after a year) now convinced that it is the steam tip and not the barista that is the problem.  
    I currently have the factory / standard 2 hole.

1) Any suggestions from Giotto Premium owners on steam tips that are better / easier and where to get these from?

2) I have done some research on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNJXJ_toW6c# and some one suggested on there that I try these:
    a) Has anyone tried these?
    b) Can you get them in Oz - I would like to avoid going overseas - and if possible, try to get it from a site sponsor. I have asked a few of the usual places but no luck/response so far.

Thanks

Re: Giotto Premium Steam Tip Recommendations please

I think youll find many of us are getting great microfoam with the Giotto and a standard tip.
    Hate to burst your bubble, if you pardon the pun, but Id bet the cause is the device at the end of the machine - ie the operator. Have you had any training? Can you take the machine into the vendor and get them to show you how?

Comment

Technique is certainly a factor. So is the type of milk you use. I wouldnt be looking at the steam tip as a source of the problem until other factors have been eliminated. I agree with flatwhite that training is advisable. At least check youtube for the numerous videos on milk stretching.

Comment

JB, I dont think you will find a better configuration on a prosumer machine for the steam tip than the one supplied by Giotto.

I can literally pour a quantity of milk in the jug, place it on the tray with the steam tip in the correct position, turn on the steam, and without touching a thing, produce great microfoam time and time again.

If you are near a Sponsor, make contact as Im sure they would be happy to look at your technique and provide a demo.

There is the possibility that the milk you are using may not be as easy to work with as some others, and if youd like to experiment with that you could do so after contacting a Sponsor.

Cheers!

Comment

I dont own one, but I managed to get silky foam the first time. I wouldnt call myself an expert with the milk jug either. If could be just something small tech wise. I know I was doing the wrong thing for ages on my machine, changed ONE small thing angle wise and its sussed.

Comment

Hi FlatWhite, thanks for your comments.

I have had informal "training" (including lots of hints etc) from someone who makes coffee for a living as well as someone who as been into coffee for a 3-5 yrs and owns a Silvia etc. That did not help. Even when they used my machine, they had "mixed" results.

Just a bit of background about my experience: I have been a coffee enthusiast (i.e. I watch YouTube videos, follow the forum posts etc.) for a couple of years now (having owned 3 machines) so I guess I am not really a "newbie" and would have expected slightly better results by now? I have also used a Diadema at one of the shops here, and that gave me instant great results....(but that may have just been a fluke).

Thats why I was blaming the machine now :-/

I notice that you have a "Giotto Premium Plus" in your signature and whether we are talking about the same machine (I am not familiar with the Plus, or whether you have got said results on the Premium)?

Thanks again. Hopefully we are talking about the same machine, in which case there is some glimmer of hope for me! :-)

Comment

By the time I posted my last response... 3 more had come in (after flatwhites post). The responses to these are:

- I have tried all sorts of milk and currently trying Canberra Milk.. That seems to be the most consistent.

- No, not really near many sponsors that look after ECMs being in the bush Capital... :-) the Diadema that I did try (mentioned above) was actually at a sponsors place here though.

Great to hear that others have had success with the standard tip. Very promising. I shall persevere.... thanks!

Comment

Oh... also can I ask... why do people on YouTube (eg the link I orginally posted) do modify their Tips/Giotto to get better steam?

There seems to be tons of posts/videos etc. that say try a different tip that I have come across in my travels on the WWW....

Some suggestions I have also seen include (specifically for the Giotto) suggest blocking off one hole.

... which leads me to believe that I am not the only one in this conundrem?

Thanks.

Comment

I dont have a Giotto, but from what Ive read the La Spaziale 0.9mm 4-hole tip should fit. Ive modified my Faema to accept this tip and it works brilliantly!

Ive PMd you some info on this tip.

regards,
                  Bill

Comment

PB, before lashing out on a 4 hole steam tip (which I think will only make matters worse) try the following. The same procedure goes for your model as the GPP.

Using a jug that is no larger than 500ml capacity, fill it with milk to the bottom of the spout

Place the wand in the jug so that the stem rests against the spout and the tip is in the centre of the milk - roughly 35 degree angle. The tip should be about half immersed in the milk and the jug can sit on and toward the front of the tray without any need to overhang.

Open the steam wand gently but sufficient to create a rolling action. If you can see this happening youre on the money.

Let us know how you go!

Comment

Awesome thanks for that tip cuppacoffee.... I will give it a go tomorrow morning. Cant wait!

Comment

Originally posted by 4C6762620E0 link=1234399286/8#8 date=1234406769
                        I dont have a Giotto, but from what Ive read the La Spaziale 0.9mm 4-hole tip should fit. Ive modified my Faema to accept this tip and it works brilliantly!

Ive PMd you some info on this tip.

regards,
                        Bill
                        THanks Bill.

Comment

Hi there all, I was at cuppacoffee today.....I I watched Dennis do exactlty as he posted.....he just sat it there and didnt touch it. Worked a treat !

It looked so easy, and produced such a pleasing result that I couldnt help but buy one.

I doubt it will be that easy for me, but I least I have seen what is possible with some practise.

Cant wait to get my new toy !

Andrew

Comment

Well I tried very eagerly this morning (what cuppacoffee suggested above)... cant say I had much success. I made 2 cups....

1) I have a different jug, so the metrics may not be the same. Eg. I cannot get the wand to touch the spout AND to be half way immersed in the milk at the same time, also the jug overhangs the tray etc. etc. I have a 500-600mL (not sure, didnt measure but just a guess) jug that came with the Sunbeam EM6910 that I used to own.

2) Anyway I guessed that the 2 most important things were the 35 degree angle and that the wand should be about half dipped (and also centered in the horizontal plane) in the milk and concentrated on that. I found that there was no swirling going on, the Giotto Premium just does not seem to have enough grunt to be able to do this much work (when it is half dipped in milk)?? Or is just mine that appears to be rather asthmatic?

Net results were that there was no aeration of the milk what-so-ever.

Anyway.. that was my first (and rather rushed) attempt this morning. I shall persevere over the weekend.

Can anyone tell me whether the Premium PLUS could be a factor as well (as opposed to the Premium, which I have) - or are the steaming innards the same for both?

Comment

Originally posted by 73786F787B7660190 link=1234399286/13#13 date=1234470199
                              Well I tried very eagerly this morning (what cuppacoffee suggested above)... cant say I had much success. I made 2 cups....

1) I have a different jug, so the metrics may not be the same. Eg. I cannot get the wand to touch the spout AND to be half way immersed in the milk at the same time, also the jug overhangs the tray etc. etc. I have a 500-600mL (not sure, didnt measure but just a guess) jug that came with the Sunbeam EM6910 that I used to own.

2) Anyway I guessed that the 2 most important things were the 35 degree angle and that the wand should be about half dipped (and also centered in the horizontal plane) in the milk and concentrated on that. I found that there was no swirling going on, the Giotto Premium just does not seem to have enough grunt to be able to do this much work (when it is half dipped in milk)?? Or is just mine that appears to be rather asthmatic?

Net results were that there was no aeration of the milk what-so-ever.

Anyway.. that was my first (and rather rushed) attempt this morning. I shall persevere over the weekend.

Can anyone tell me whether the Premium PLUS could be a factor as well (as opposed to the Premium, which I have) - or are the steaming innards the same for both?
                              Hi Javaboy,

Alas, I fear that the nut on the group handle needs adjusting  

The Giotto wand has to be the easiest wand I have ever used. Best bet is to get a hand from someone who has good technique or perhaps visit the mob you purchased from for some training..

Might be worth experimenting with some different milk as well. I have used some pretty miserable stuff recently.

Good luck and no suds!

2mcm

Comment

Working...
                              X