Squeaky and stiff Giotto lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky and stiff Giotto lever

I have a Giotto Premium that has a lever which is getting a bit squeaky and stiff. I believe this is quite easy to rectify, with the use of a little grease. Can anyone please help and advise on how to do this? Can it be done with or without disassembling the lever?

Also, what kind of grease is generally recommended for these types of jobs on espresso machines?

Thanks.

Re: Squeaky and stiff Giotto lever

Hi Crem
    Food grade grease is available from Jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA1032&keywords=grease&form=KEY WORD

KK

Comment

Youll have to remove the valve assembly to lube the cam and the brew lever shaft.

Try this website
      (Down for maintenance when I checked just now)

or this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1229912600 which may be similar enough to the Giotto. The instructions in the first link I posted wasnt for my machine but I dont think there is a great deal of variation.

I found it easy enough but if you tend to have 10 thumbs when it comes to mechanical things or you dont have the right tools, best left to a qualified repairer

Comment

cremachine

Is the squeaking /stiffness happening all the time?  I find my Giotto’s lever stiffens up after I’ve used backwash cleaner but then loosens up again after a day or so.  

Comment

Originally posted by 5E6C6E63785E010 link=1236205891/3#3 date=1236211725
          I find my Giotto’s lever stiffens up after I’ve used backwash cleaner but then loosens up again after a day or so.
          I think that goes for any E61 group machine but wear can still happen - see what happned to my machine from the thread I posted in a previous reply. The coffee oils and water will provide some lubrication but not really effectively enough to stop wear from the research I did.

My experience is that its best to use only about 1/4 the recommended quantity of cleaner and dissolve in a bit of water in the blind filter prior to using it to backflush.

Ive lubed my lever twice now; the second time I used a little more than the first time Molykote and it seems to be OK after 3 detergent backflushes.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A787A776C4A150 link=1236205891/3#3 date=1236211725
            cremachine

Is the squeaking /stiffness happening all the time?  I find my Giotto’s lever stiffens up after I’ve used backwash cleaner but then loosens up again after a day or so.  
            Yes, it seems to be fairly consistent, but thinking back, it may actually be a bit worse after a backwash clean.

Comment

Originally posted by 59485F575B595253545F3A0 link=1236205891/0#0 date=1236205891
              I have a Giotto Premium that has a lever which is getting a bit squeaky and stiff.  I believe this is quite easy to rectify, with the use of a little grease.  Can anyone please help and advise on how to do this? [ch65533]Can it be done with or without disassembling the lever?

Also, what kind of grease is generally recommended for these types of jobs on espresso machines?

Thanks.
              Hi Crema,

This task is not too arduous...
              [*]Remove the lever[*]Use a shifting spanner or suitable open end spanner to crack the seal between the outer spindle nut and the inner one. This is much easier to do on the machine than after the entire assembly is removed[*]Loosen or remove large top and lower (exhaust) group nuts to allow for removal of the spindle assembly. Keep a record of what you have removed to ensure it all goes back in the same way [*]Remove lever assembly and use food grade lube to lubricate between the spindle and the collar surrounding it.[*]Reassemble in reverse order

The important thing is to ensure that you have suitable tools to do the job as if you slip, you will likely bruise the chrome plating on the group.

Good luck!

2mcm

Comment

Cremachine;

Question for you, how often are you backwash this machine? maybe you are doing it to often.

Regards

Renzo

Comment

Originally posted by 406D5B466576706B686D040 link=1236205891/7#7 date=1236239735
                  maybe you are doing it to often.

Regards

Renzo
                  How often is too often? I backflush at the end of each day - after 10 coffees. Is that too often?

Comment

Hi there
                    If your daily backflush is with a chemical then YUP.
                    I generally backflush every 2 - 3 weeks after about 60 or so coffees, but will have to stretch that out as we are only having about 14 coffees a week at the moment.

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by 694D444447477D694D514F4D220 link=1236205891/1#1 date=1236208648
                      Hi Crem
                      Food grade grease is available from Jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA1032&keywords=grease&form=KEY WORD

KK
                      Has anybody used the grease from Jaycar? Is it definitely suitable? My lever is also getting squeaky & tight so I want to grease it up ASAP.

Evan.

Comment

I have purchased some but not used it yet
                        The specs are good and as coffee machines are hot and wet it should be the goods.

• Food grade
                        • High temperature, non-melt
                        • Highly resistant to water, salt, chemicals and drying
                        • Fully synthetic

KK

Comment

Thanks mate, might try it over the weekend.

Evan.

Comment

Hi;

I found this information it may help:
                            Espresso Machine Cleaning Why, How, and When
                            http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machine-cleaning.html

At home I backwash after 1 kilo of coffee or 2 or 3 weeks, with detergent. Backwash with water only every thursday. This is my routine at home.

Yes, the lever get squeaky and stiff, due to we disolving the oils from the lever, however if I run 2 long shoot after this get to normal.

Hope this information helps
                            PS. some detergents disolve better than others, this why is always good to, pre-disolve the detergent, before you lock it up into your grouphead. After finninsh, is always good to do it with water, to be sure that all the detergent is gone.
                            Regards

Renzo
                            Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

Originally posted by 4E6355486B787E6566630A0 link=1236205891/7#7 date=1236239735
                              Cremachine;

Question for you, how often are you backwash this machine?  maybe you are doing it to often.

Regards

Renzo
                              About once a month generally.

Comment

Working...
                              X