Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBM Maintenance time???

Hi all,
    I have had my VBM DS for approaching 2 years and it is a while since i have done a descale (or any other maintenance for that matter). I have a few questions for you -
    1) what descaler should i use?
    2) i dont have a water softener cartridge on my intake hose - where could i purchase one?
    3) i have never replaced the group seals...should i do this at the same time? Are there any instructions on the web for how to do this.

thanks folks.

Do any sponsors sell everything i need for 1) - 3)?
    thanks - andy

Re: VBM Maintenance time???

Im not too sure about descaling. This may be a job for the pros from what Ive heard. You should however do a regular chemical backflush to keep the group clean. Every 2-4 weeks seems to be the norm. I believe youll need a new group gasket & maybe a shower screen. I replace my gasket every few months. The easiest way is to screw a wood screw into the rubber & pull it down from either side. The screen will come with it. Soak the screen in chemical cleaner while its out. Fit the new rubber to the screen, place in portafilter (without basket) & lock into place. Too easy!!
    If youre adventurous, you might consider stripping down the group & replacing seals, greasing the cam. I did mine yesterday & its not that difficult. Im just waiting on some parts now to give it a full spruce up (Mines over 4 years old & is on 24hrs).

Evan.

Comment

Originally posted by 6F606A7739390E0 link=1237078235/0#0 date=1237078235
      Hi all,
      I have had my VBM DS for approaching 2 years and it is a while since i have done a descale (or any other maintenance for that matter). I have a few questions for you -
      1) what descaler should i use?
      2) i dont have a water softener cartridge on my intake hose - where could i purchase one?
      3) i have never replaced the group seals...should i do this at the same time? Are there any instructions on the web for how to do this.

thanks folks.

Do any sponsors sell everything i need for 1) - 3)?
      thanks - andy
      YEP... The sponsors will be able to help you out with all your requests..

I am sure that http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1206336082 can assist with water as well as other suppliers...

And any number stock you machine..

See this post for some good info and the names of other sponsors that can assist.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234753230/7

Comment

Hello Andy

i am sure a few of the sponsors will chime in and yes the parts you need are easily obtainable from them.

2 years, you say

have yo done any backflushing in that time?

if not then i would seriously consider taking it to a pro and getting a good clean.

i would descale
        change shower screen
        change the group head seal
        and clean both portafillers in backflushing solution
        also will pay to get a group head brush, and once you have the shower screen and goup seal out, give the underside of the group head a very good scrub.

Comment

Andy;

I found this may help you:

http://www.espressoparts-usa.com/category/espressotutorials.e61groupmaintenance/

regards

Renzo
          Di bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

Sorry; I forgot the VBM is an 8mm group head seal, unless you have some tare and ware in the group head you will need 8.5mm. We have both in stock if you need it.

Regards

Renzo

Comment

Hi all,
              After receiving the descaler and replacement gasket etc from Coffeeparts (24 hr delivery time is pretty impressive) i descaled the machine and replaced the group head seals last night.

I am hopeless at technical type stuff like this normally but didnt have any problems given your advice above and the quality VBM manual available online.

Thanks for your help.
              andy

Comment

Working...
              X