Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting out need help selecting machine please noob thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting out need help selecting machine please noob thanks.

Hi everyone firstly what a great informative site i have certainly learnt alot more than I knew 2 days ago and have been reading alot here.

Firstly I am moving to a new home soon and cant wait to buy my coffee machine, I havent done a course but feel confident to use a machine as I have done so in the past and have refreshed my memory alot to online in the past few days.

I was looking at a automatic machine and thank god I didnt go out and buy one after reading here and learning about the expresso machines available. I wont go near them now.

Can anyone help me to at least narrow it down a bit I intend to use the machine alot for myself and entertaining aswell, I want something that will last a long time and is good quality, i have always been of the impression you get what you pay for! I will be making espresso and also milk based coffees aswell basically all styles of coffee.

Plus I wish to improve my skills and a machine that can allow me to do that is a bonus.
    Firstly can anyone help me with a good grinder recommendation?

Then I have looked at a few machines and have listed them below, I think that having brass boiler and good fittings, ie no aluminium is a must after reading online.

I really like the UNICO SPLENDOR as its a great looking machine to suit the home theme. But if its not rated then thats fine the others are as follows -

The Domobar Super from Vibiemme
    ECM Giotto Premium
    Diamond Italia
    Isomac Mondiale
    Expobar Barista Minore

I appreciate any advice and if I have posted in the wrong area I apologise, once again thanks for the ideas I may receive in advance and what a credit this website is to coffee drinkers regards megs8888.

Re: Starting out need help selecting machine please noob thanks.

Hi Megs
    Where are you based?

You have some great machines in your selection, but worth actually looking and playing with them. Each machine has their own peculiarities and it is worth seeing them in the flesh.

Check out the site sponsors on the left

B

Comment

Sorry I am in outer east Melbourne Ringwood.

Comment

Go speak to TalkCoffee - I have bought all my Equipment from Chris - Definitely recommended.

Comment

Hi and welcome, you picked a great place to ask questions.  I was here about 2 months ago asking exactly the same question....check out my early posts....

Anyway I started out looking at the Rancillo.......and ended up with the Giotto.

LOVE IT....Cant say enough good things about it......

Just go and buy one and start enjoying your journey, you wont regret it !

One thing worth mentioning is that my coffee making improved a hell of a lot when I bought a Motto jug for the milk.  The 500ml for $60 - bought it from coffeeparts and it has made a world of difference. Improved my consistency.  

Andrew

Comment

Hi Megs8888 and welcome to CS,

We have much of your shortlist on our demo bench and I have used them all. There are some we range and some we wont and aspects of each that I love- and which frustrate me. I promise to call them warts and all for you.

Best option is to come and see for yourself, try the product and choose the right machine for you. We also stock a wide range of grinders.

Id be thrilled to assist another CSer!

Chris

p.s- thanks for the referrals, guys  

Comment

Originally posted by 4E4644501B1B1B1B230 link=1237882419/0#0 date=1237882419
              Hi everyone firstly what a great informative site i have certainly learnt alot more than I knew 2 days ago and have been reading alot here.

Firstly I am moving to a new home soon and cant wait to buy my coffee machine, I havent done a course but feel confident to use a machine as I have done so in the past and have refreshed my memory alot to online in the past few days.

I was looking at a automatic machine and thank god I didnt go out and buy one after reading here and learning about the expresso machines available. I wont go near them now.

Can anyone help me to at least narrow it down a bit I intend to use the machine alot for myself and entertaining aswell, I want something that will last a long time and is good quality, i have always been of the impression you get what you pay for! I will be making espresso and also milk based coffees aswell basically all styles of coffee.

Plus I wish to improve my skills and a machine that can allow me to do that is a bonus.
              Firstly can anyone help me with a good grinder recommendation?

Then I have looked at a few machines and have listed them below, I think that having brass boiler and good fittings, ie no aluminium is a must after reading online.

I really like the UNICO SPLENDOR as its a great looking machine to suit the home theme. But if its not rated then thats fine the others are as follows -

The Domobar Super from Vibiemme
              ECM Giotto Premium
              Diamond Italia
              Isomac Mondiale
              Expobar Barista Minore

I appreciate any advice and if I have posted in the wrong area I apologise, once again thanks for the ideas I may receive in advance and what a credit this website is to coffee drinkers regards megs8888.
              Welcome to the forum Megs8888,

I was about to ask the question about a good grinder as no matter how good machine you would end up with it would not be able to cmpensate the lack of a good grinder. A good roaster nearby will also come handy unless you jump the bandwagon and buy a roaster .

Your choice of machines is spot on, I would only add Bezzera to the list. Yes, you guessed it, I am not biased at all ;D

I am sure that you will find all the info and help you would need in this coffee flavoured corner...

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Ill get onto Chris at Talk Coffee definately the best way to go I think im so looking forward to making good coffee and my wife loves Cocoa anyone know a good site for fresh Cocoa powder other than bean bay, I appreciate the responses and its good education aswell i look forward to being a longtime member here

Comment

Welcome megs8888,

Checking them out at your local site sponsor is definitely the way to go.

The Unico Splendor from Diadema is well built like the rest of the Diadema range (Junior Plus, Regal, etc) so well worth checking out.

And next time youre in Sydney, drop into our showroom and say hello,

charlie

Comment

Hello all,

firstly, it is important for me to declare my commercial interest in this topic because my company CosmoreX Coffee imports semi commercial espresso machines that compete directly with those mentioned, the Unico Splendor Maxi being only one of my own imports.

Coincidentally another CSer enquired with me about a Splendor Maxi  this morning. The model has been superseded and is no longer available. The replacement is the  REGAL and I will attach a photo below. The Splendor MAXI was already a big improvement on the original Splendor, and the REGAL is better again. There are 2 versions which are externally identical but internally you have a choice of 1.3 litre or a 2.0 litre boiler. This machine is simply stunning to look at, and that it performs well is a given.......

There are a number of other Diadema models from the same stable as the Regal to choose from, and the Junior EXTRA is another lovely machine.

All the machines you listed and others in the same market sector including the ones Ive mentioned here are individually DIFFERENT. You have to choose the one that best suits you.

DO NOT try to compare them on price, because they are not the same, internally or externally, even if they all make a great cuppa.

Some have a body made of highest quality stainless steel;

Some have a body made of "black steel" which is industry speak for low quality stainless steel & that is....it is NOT STAINLESS but looks like stainless steel (until it marks);

One has a painted steel body, and another has a plastic body;

Some have stainless steel frames;

Others have painted mild steel frames;

Others have anodised (corrosion proofed mild steel) frames

Some frames are flimsy;

Others frames are solid.

Some have very small (tend to overflow) or hard to fit (fiddly) drip trays that vibrate around during use and

Others have large solid drip trays that dont vibrate or move around.

Some have simple commercial style steam and hot water taps, others have "stylish variants" that present more service difficulties in the future.

Some are much easier to service (& therefore cost you less money) because of the way they are designed built and assembled and....

There is a great deal of difference in the build quality and the quality of internal components through the range.

Notice, I havent said anything about their ability to make coffee... they are all nice coffee makes with some differences in performance that the individual owners will work around once they choose their model.

So what I am getting at is, price is not necessarily an indication of comparability, & you need to make a choice that satisfies you in all ways, while being aware that once committed to this sizeable sum of money called the purchase price, you will have to live with and like the look of it, in your kitchen, for many many years to come.

The CosmoreX Coffee range of Diadema Junior machines is available through not only ourselves, but other CS site sponsors.

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
                    Attilio
                    first / original CS site sponsor.

Comment

Junior EXTRA

Comment

Nice looking machines, can anyone else advise on these who own them at all, they sure look nice though. And yes stainless steel is preferred albeit extra cost id expect. I was told that brass boiler is the way to go as far as inside the machine goes and what recomendations of machine would anyone advise when it comes to ease of parts and servicing and cleaning myself.

Comment

Originally posted by 464E4C58131313132B0 link=1237882419/11#11 date=1237952297
                          Nice looking machines, can anyone else advise on these who own them at all, they sure look nice though. And yes stainless steel is preferred albeit extra cost id expect. I was told that brass boiler is the way to go as far as inside the machine goes and what recomendations of machine would anyone advise when it comes to ease of parts and servicing and cleaning myself.
                          Hi Megs,

They are beautiful machines!

I hope to have created space to have one on the bench by the time you visit

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 31393B2F646464645C0 link=1237882419/7#7 date=1237932899
                            I think im so looking forward to making good coffee and my wife loves Cocoa anyone know a good site for fresh Cocoa powder other than bean bay
                            I quite like koko deluxe
                            http://www.venezianocoffee.com.au/ou...late/product63

Comment

ill check that out and hope you have a few machines for me to try out Chris im looking forward to the visit dont worry
                              Thanks for the cocoa site too

Comment

Working...
                              X