Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP NEEDED Pressure Probs on San Marino/Astoria CKX

Hello,

I recently acquired this machine, and I am having a lot of problems with it. The extraction Im getting on this machine is weird. Blonding very quickly <5 seconds, and after about 12 seconds the extraction is very "wirey", like a pigs tail. Cant get a full extraction from the machine.
    Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Ive tried fixing up my grind. dosing up, dosing down, tamping harder, tamping lighter... This is a problem with the machine. Just wanting to know what I could do to fix the problem

Thank you,
    Ashleigh

Re: HELP NEEDED Pressure Probs on San Marino/Astoria CKX

Hi Ashleigh

Are you using freshly roasted beans?
    Do you have your own grinder?

B

Comment

Hello Ben,
      yes, i roast my own at home, have tried different roasts, bought some fresh beans from several different local roasters. No luck.
      And i own a Compak K3T. Burrs are fine...

Ashleigh

Comment

Gday Ashleigh,

Have you tried using your coffee and grinder with another espresso machine; if thats possible to do easily? That would be one way to determine where your focus should be perhaps.... :-?

Mal.

Comment

Ashleigh,

The symptoms are typical of Stale Beans / Grind / Tamp and I was about to comment but have seen that others already have..

Thus the reason to try on another machine...

However, in almost every case that I have seen, where the symptoms are as you describe... It has been one of the three items mentioned..

Where abouts are you, as often the quickest solution it to go visit someone (Sponsors) or a CS member may step up and assist..

Thus with out the tactile feedback - Sounds / smell / visual / gauges etc it is very hard to offer or suggest what else it might be..

Comment

it might be worth having a look at the max brew pressure using a pf guage to determine (roughly) max bars of pressure during the shot.
            if your machines running at 12 bar then it may well blast the puck and result in what youre finding.

what are your pucks like after these shots? soggy? firm? messy or a nice smoothish top?

try dosing as high as you can, leaving a whisker for puck expansion (try the 5cent coin test) and see what happens. id imagine that a lighter tamp with a higher dose MAY help...

have u found this sort of issue with other machines youve owned?

Comment

Thanks for all your imput.

I know the beans that i have used are not stale, so we can rule that out. And I have tried everything with the grind, the dose and the tamp to fix this problem, with no success.

The gauge fluctuates. I start brewing at 1. The pressure drops to .8 to .7 in the first 8 seconds then after that it increases to 1.2 and the shots go "wirey"

From what Ive read it may be the OPV valve? Any thoughts on this?

Ashleigh

Comment

Hey Roknee,

Every puck is firm, not broken, with an imprint on the shower screen on the top. Pucks are fine.

And the grinder worked perfectly with my Em6910. It not the grinder, but can take it into work with me to double check.

Cheers,
                Ashleigh

Comment

I dialled the grinder in after 2 shots, so the problem lies in the San Marino.
                  I was told the machine was serviced prior to me getting it...

Any ideas? Take it to someone perhaps, and if so who can help me?

Cheers,
                  Ashleigh

EDIT/ thanks Aaron. Will get onto it!

Comment

Hi Ashleigh. As I have worked on San Marinos for years, have seen this problem many times. Is this a Divina or the traditional S/S Bull nose style and more to the point is it a new or second hand machine. A brand new San Marino has adifferent hydrolyc system to the older ones, the change came about 5-6 years ago, for me to help ypu further I need to know this.

Cheers Angelo

Comment

Angelo,
                      mod edit- commercial link removed
                      This machine is second hand- the semi-automatic one on the site. I do not know how old this machine is, it was checked by an electrician in 2005 (on a tag on the electrical cord), so could possible be the older model you were referring to.
                      Any way of checking the year?
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X