Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new kit! Diadema Reale (Regal) and Macap M4...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new kit! Diadema Reale (Regal) and Macap M4...

Hi all
    Finally, after 12 months+ of plunger, much research and plenty of advice from this site, weve taken the plunge! Thought others looking at this new machine might like a box opening rundown...
    A trip down to Canberra, a great morning spent with Attilio and the crew down at Cosmorex, and we picked up a 1.3l Diadema Reale and a Macap M4. And with their current specials, even managed a Pullman Tamper! (and whos idea was it to put in those plastic tampers as standard - they certainly leave plenty of clearance in the commercial portafilter - ie 10mm!).
    Got the kit home friday, and what a difference! Attilio had dialed in the grind on the Macap while I was there, and given me some great advice on grinding-to-order with a doser machine, so the first double shot was spot on, with very little wastage. And a beautifully quiet machine, compared to our plastic, 10 year old Gaggia!
    The Reale warms up surprisingly quickly (15 mins if you run some water through the group when the boiler is hot enough) and the build quality is amazing - as an ex-industrial arts teacher, I can appreciate some precision engineering!
    Some great features include a water tank that top draws - no more leaking seals at the bottom! A roller bearing on the lever cam - very smooth action. Great drip tray too - huge and the handle screw holes are not into the actual tray, but into a folded edge - no leaks! And there is an overflow system, a reduced seam weld on the front right corner, so it happens to overflow, it goes out the front rather than back into the machine, unlike my old Breville!
    Steaming with the 2-hole tip is amazing, no worries getting great texturing here! And the movement and travel in the wand is also very good.
    The Pullman tamper likewise is a beautiful piece of workmanship, and fits like a glove to the standard double basket, which says a lot for the Diadema precision in the basket. Now its just my tamping technique that needs work.....!
    But overall, Im absolutely thrilled - beautiful coffee at home that surpasses many of the local cafes out here in the bush - bring it on!
    A big thanks to Attilio and Jess at Cosmorex for all their help, advice and service - well worth the drive down. For those who are interested, here is a little pic of the installed kit! (I think - havent posted images yet!)

Re: My new kit! Diadema Reale (Regal) and Macap M4...

Very nice setup DBC

The Regal is one of my short listed choices for my next machine. I cant quite picture how it would look in my kitchen so would you mind dropping it around to my place for a month or so so I can get a real feel for it. I promise Ill look after it and you can even drop in for a cuppa or two. You can hang on to the Macap. ;D

Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats on your new toys DBC, a microfibre cloth is good for keeping all that shiny stainless looking its best!

Comment

Originally posted by 3E34213636392D2B580 link=1240789622/1#1 date=1240791388
        I cant quite picture how it would look in my kitchen so would you mind dropping it around to my place for a month or so so I can get a real feel for it.
        While Id simply love to do that - having moved out from the big smoke, we now try and avoid trips there as much as possible! But feel free to drop in when you come and enjoy our beautiful Orange wineries, or visit Dubbo Zoo! Or, Im a bit of a whiz in photoshop - send me a kitchen pic and Ill drop one in for you!! ;D

And great advice greenman on the microfibre...

Comment

Mint set up there DBC, whats in the Twinings tin?

Comment

Nice bling DBC I am glad to hear that your taste buds are now satisfied

Microfibre cloths are the best thing since sliced bread
            When I got my Bezzera Galatea home I polished it with a paint protection product called Glassplexin and it has never lost its gleam

So we wait until the home roaster bug bites :

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 7F6869776263683C3F3C0D0 link=1240789622/4#4 date=1240794694
              Mint set up there DBC, whats in the Twinings tin?
              Thats the tea for my beautiful bride - she likes coffee too, but is a big tea drinker. Me... cant stand the stuff - Id rather just drink water in the shower in the morning to save time for making coffee later and be done with it!

By the way - where do we source these microfibre cloths? Just a supermarket job?

Comment

Originally posted by 6140564C424B4C4B42675C664A43434040250 link=1240789622/6#6 date=1240799236
                Thats the tea for my beautiful bride - she likes coffee too, but is a big tea drinker.
                To move a little more OT, if you want to do her a special favour, go for some of the teas available in Bean Bay. Like coffee, tea is better if relatively fresh and high quality. Its like that time you moved from instant coffee to espresso coffee made with freshly ground beans.

The China Siaou Chu Pearl Tea is an excellent one. If she prefers a more straightforward black tea then I have also enjoyed the PNG Broken Pekoe 1.

Comment

Gday DesigningByCoffee.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Congratulations on the new Kit mate... Looks really beautiful. You will be blown away by the quality of the espressos these beauties can produce or maybe you already are

Re: the Microfibre Cloths.... Yes, just visit your local supermarket and somewhere near the kitchen cleaning accessories seems to be where they usually have them. I use two actually, one damp and the other dry. Keeps the Extra fairly gleaming 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Whoa... It looks far better in your kitchen than the pics I had see of the Reale standalone. Very nice. Congrats.

More detailed pics?

Comment

Originally posted by 302B30315F0 link=1240789622/9#9 date=1240858852
                      Whoa... It looks far better in your kitchen than the pics I had see of the Reale standalone.  Very nice. Congrats.  

More detailed pics?
                      It certainly is a nice looking machine (and delivers the goods too!) and having the benchspace to put it helps (designed that corner of the kitchen with one in mind!) Ill try get some more detailed pics as soon as I can...

And visit the supermarket too!

Thanks all

Comment

A new development - this machine is perfect for texturing with the jug sitting on the tray! Saw this technique mentioned on a previous thread, and tried it just then. 600ml jug, filled to bottom of the spout, sat it on the tray with the wand over to one edge to get the whirl and just let it go! And it worked! And the temp was better than hand held (which Ive always done - normally had my hand underneath) because I was measuring by the heat of the sides - so a bit hotter, which was an improvement on past efforts. This machine is very well designed...!!!

Comment

M,

I very much appreciate the kind words, and am very glad to know you are so happy with your new toys!

It is both a pleasure and a privelege when CS members travel from way out of town to come visit us.

Thank you also for letting others in CS know how you are getting on with this great set up.

Cheers,
                          Attilio,
                          very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

A new development - this machine is perfect for texturing with the jug sitting on the tray! Saw this technique mentioned on a previous thread
                            Thats my research & contribution to steaming milk 8-)

Originally posted by 04253329272E292E270239032F26262525400 link=1240789622/6#6 date=1240799236
                            By the way - where do we source these microfibre cloths? Just a supermarket job?  
                            Better quality ones are from cleaners supply shops or Godfreys I find the supermarket ones although good are just to small

I would also suggest that you visit a hairdresser supply shop to purchase a couple of black micrifibre towels 38cm x 75 cm used to dry hair
                            Drape it over the machine (making sure the towel does not cover any heat escape holes)
                            This will stop scratches from placing coffee equipment on top of the machine
                            Just like this on my machine

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 0F2B222221211B0F2B37292B440 link=1240789622/13#13 date=1240884634
                              Thats my research & contribution to steaming milk
                              Nice work KK - how much easier can it be, I ask!! :-?
                              Ive noticed all your posts on roasting too - although Im a bit scared of going there just yet - like that quote from the Matrix - just how deep does the rabbit hole go?

And many thanks once again Attilio - I am more and more impressed by the set up every time I use it!

Comment

Working...
                              X