Superautos- again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superautos- again!

Hi guys, new to CS so not sure this is the right forum to ask, but I need advice on how to make a really good coffee at home, Im spending far too much cash at my local cafe!!! I have had a cheap little Breville for years now and it doesnt cut it when compared to a cafe coffee. It tastes like it is getting worse, never been serviced. Im thinking of upgrading to a better coffee machine, but need to know how to get it right. Obviously freshly ground coffee is one of the keys, but will a basic machine do a good job, or do I need to spend $500-$1,000 on a machine to make the coffee better? I saw a Java fully automatic machine on eBay, retails for over $2k, will sell for a lot less. Any comments on that brand? Anyway I cant keep spending $50 a week buying cafe coffee, it will send me broke. Plus I love making a coffee in my own kitchen, the smell, etc. So I guess Im asking what to do/buy and the secret to making a great expresso. Looking to spend up to $500 on a machine. Cheers, Stu.

Re: Superautos- again!

Originally posted by 70757578726574752027110 link=1241520736/0#0 date=1241520735
    Hi guys, new to CS so not sure this is the right forum to ask, but I need advice on how to make a really good coffee at home, Im spending far too much cash at my local cafe!!! I have had a cheap little Breville for years now and it doesnt cut it when compared to a cafe coffee. It tastes like it is getting worse, never been serviced. Im thinking of upgrading to a better coffee machine, but need to know how to get it right. Obviously freshly ground coffee is one of the keys, but will a basic machine do a good job, or do I need to spend $500-$1,000 on a machine to make the coffee better? I saw a Java fully automatic machine on eBay, retails for over $2k, will sell for a lot less. Any comments on that brand? Anyway I cant keep spending $50 a week buying cafe coffee, it will send me broke. Plus I love making a coffee in my own kitchen, the smell, etc. So I guess Im asking what to do/buy and the secret to making a great expresso. Looking to spend up to $500 on a machine. Cheers, Stu.
    Stu

Some reading will quickly suggest to you that while some Autos have a place most of us do not use them... For many reasons..

Would suggest you go and read this post first...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1224157582

Comment

Is there a reliable super auto espresso machine on the market?

My other 2/3ds is sick and tired of looking for (in our case) non existent god shots.  The occasional excellent brew but with out close attention to grind, tamping and stabilizing temp  she is getting frustrated. And I would like her to be making the guests coffee. So the idea came up to consider these new fangled super auto do every thing, grind, consider temp and humidity, tamp exactly, perfect water temp, self clean and play the piano coffee machines.

I am no expert (what ever that means) but I am happy to wrangle the Cimbali J. Machine and grinder. But one needs to be paying attention and lets say, be interested. Close company really just wants the coffee with out the fiddle farting that seems to be part of an enthusiasts coffee making.

Is there such a machine worthy of purchase to use as against purchase to own.

Otzi.
      There is a fine line between having a hobby and madness.

Comment

Re: Is there a reliable super auto espresso machine on the market?

Hello otzi,

You wont get a god shot out of a super auto but if you want decidedly average and big bills to maintain it, go for it...

Jura seems to be considered the best of an average bunch :

2mcm

Comment

Hi Otzi,

You are far from the first person to make this comment.

May I suggest a search of this website?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 615443417149544B474A42260 link=1259458075/2#2 date=1259466611
            Hi Otzi,

You are far from the first person to make this comment.

May I suggest a search of this website?

Greg
            As per Greg W..

Use the search feature http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257241858

Comment

Go barista on the left sells the super autos 2mcm
              was talking about, Jura great bloke too ol serge!

Comment

Originally posted by 233836254C0 link=1259458075/0#0 date=1259458075
                So the idea came up to consider these new fangled super auto do every thing, grind, consider temp and humidity, tamp exactly, perfect water temp, self clean and play the piano coffee machines.
                You forgot "cheap" or "affordable" too. I think we can all see that one of these uber-perfect-mega-auto machines would be a godsend but in reality they are all a compromise.

Your best bet is to try a few out with your favourite coffee and see if the compromise is something that you can live with.

:-?

I know a lot of workplaces that really need a good superauto for mess and tinkering reasons more than quality in the cup

Originally posted by 233836254C0 link=1259458075/0#0 date=1259458075
                ...nearly 10,000 CSrs here have crossed that line a long time ago... and loving it!

:P

Comment

Who, me???

Comment

crib notes on what to search for (because just saying "search" isnt very helpful)...

consider everything else as well as the machine, namely: coffee beans, operator and grinder. (the other three of the "four Ms")

As 2mcm hinted, the more complexity you have in a machine, the more chance it has of going wrong (both in terms of mechanical failure and substandard coffee quality)

In your situation, I would skip buying a new machine until I had a good grinder, and a good supply of fresh beans, and knew how to use all your gear properly. Plus maybe some tweaks on the machine - search the sub-$500 forum - eg unpressurised filters.

Comment

Originally posted by 58434D5E370 link=1241520736/2#2 date=1259458075
                      My other 2/3ds is sick and tired of looking for (in our case) non existent god shots.  The occasional excellent brew but with out close attention to grind, tamping and stabilizing temp  she is getting frustrated. And I would like her to be making the guests coffee. So the idea came up to consider these new fangled super auto do every thing, grind, consider temp and humidity, tamp exactly, perfect water temp, self clean and play the piano coffee machines.

I am no expert (what ever that means) but I am happy to wrangle the Cimbali J. Machine and grinder. But one needs to be paying attention and lets say, be interested. Close company really just wants the coffee with out the fiddle farting that seems to be part of an enthusiasts coffee making.

Is there such a machine worthy of purchase to use as against purchase to own.

Otzi.
                      A super auto cant make coffee as good as you could on the Cimbali.

You have decide what you want.

Do you want the machine to show of to guests or are you looking for good coffee?

If the taste of coffee from a super auto is acceptable then tick the first box.

Next do some research on maintenance costs and down time.
                      If thats acceptable then tick the next box.

Depending on what your answers are to some of the previous questions, you may want to consider a kettle and jar of Moconna.

Originally posted by 58434D5E370 link=1241520736/2#2 date=1259458075
                      I would like her to be making the guests coffee.
                      Does she know this?

Comment

""Depending on what your answers are to some of the previous questions, you may want to consider a kettle and jar of Moconna.""

Year, good answer...... I probably deserved that!-

Sorry for the slowness in getting back to this thread. This forum is some what more complex than what I am used to. See I cant even use it properly!  Is there a tafe course?

OK thanks all for the responses. Curt remarks accepted. It was the she bariste that wanted the ease of (mechanical) complexity. After 2mcms philosophical reply that only reinforced my own suspicions we have decided to engage a rocket in the new year. It will mean that due to more that one knob, I will be doing most of the making, (not so much baristing.).  The big problem is deciding on a grinder. Is the Cimbali Junior as good as they come or do I seek a slower rpm model. Due to the relative expense hence long term investment the search continues.  All input is gratefully accepted of course..

As an aside I do have a vague concept of whats going on having huffed and puffed the Junior pair for past 15 years or so.

Comment

Me again, How do I edit a post?
                          I had searched before originally posting but obviously the wrong choice of key words didnt get me very far. But thanks for the heads up on the search options.

Otzi
                          There is a fine line between a hobby and madness.

Comment

Re: Superautos again

Editing a post is only possible for a short while after posting (supposed to be 24 hours, but...) to stop confusion in the following replies. Just hit the "Modify" button at the top of your post.

One trick with searches is to ensure the default search time (one week) is set to a reasonable time frame for you.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                            X