Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Elektra from America - should I buy it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Elektra from America - should I buy it?

Hi all - first post, so please excuse the noob...

Ive been after a coffee machine for a while now, and have the opportunity to buy a very beautiful lever operated Microcasa Elektra from America. Totally seduced by the shiny, shiny stylings, but can anyone tell me if it will produce a good coffee?

Also, its 110V - can it be converted?

Thanks, Renee

Re: Retro Elektra from America - should I buy it?

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Renee.

My understanding is that 110v machines can be run on power converters but converting the machine itself would be more trouble than its worth.

Is it new or 2nd hand?

If new, youll have no warranty support.

They do look stunning though.

Comment

Renee;

Elektra machines are available here in Australia, and are 243-240 volt. by the time you bring the machine and you make the convention could cost you more.

If you want a demo in one I can organize this you, give us a call or pm us.

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=44

Best regards

Renzo
      Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

Youve got good tastes Rens_Way ... a stunning machine, and from what Ive read, one that pulls a equally stunning shot.

@DiBartoli : I note the link to the semi-auto, do you have the Lever as a demo? I too would be very interested on how the Spring Piston tastes.

Comment

A friend of mine owns one in Newcastle
          The semi automatica model
          He is not a coffee snob and sadly hardly uses it

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 02163C0751630 link=1243304918/3#3 date=1243307124
            from what Ive read, one that pulls a equally stunning shot.
            Hmm, where did you read that?

Comment

Originally posted by 527378787F65160 link=1243304918/5#5 date=1243309280
              Originally posted by 02163C0751630 link=1243304918/3#3 date=1243307124
              from what Ive read, one that pulls a equally stunning shot.
              Hmm, where did you read that?

Not sure if I can post a direct link .. but do a GOOGLE search for:

micro casa elektra review

should be the first result >> review done in 2002

Comment

Ah, thanks for that. Honestly, Id be a bit hesitant to quote a review thats 7 years old, but note that in the conclusion it says:

"It produces a superior cup of espresso, if you work hard enough at it."

and,

"yes, you get more repeatable results from espresso machines costing $400 less. And yes, some grunt work with this machine makes it less of a joy to operate (for some) than other machines."

Comment

other issues on the negative side:

overheating issue .. a problem if your wanting to pull multiple shots.
                  Elektra is at temperature after 11 minutes, and you have to pull your shots right away, because if you wait... (5 min. for example) she will get to hot and burn the coffee right away.

non-commercial components: small filter baskets, lightweight portafilter.

Sorta like the choice between a brand new Ferrari or a Triumph .. both cars drive you from A to B, and both offer thrilling rides.  I prefer the Triumph thanks  (but I wouldnt mind both  ;D  ;D  ;D )

Not everyone wants to put in the kind of time and effort a piston machine absolutely demands of its users. Why bother with this old style technology when state of the art automatics can produce an equally superior shot?

You dont buy a lever machine, or this Micro Casa a Leva if you want life to be easy.

You buy this machine if you have an intense love for espresso, appreciate complete hands-on experience, and are willing to put up with a very, very long learning curve that may require you to re-learn some things you thought you knew about espresso.

And you buy this machine if you want a functional piece of art that is capable of greatness

Comment

lol - oh how the tide turns.

They do look good.

Comment

Oooh! Thank you all for your replies - I was waiting for an email to let me know I had a response... Official Faux Pas Number 1.

Mmm, more so than the shipping from America ($280USD), I was afraid of the voltage conversion. That thing is far too beautiful to let some electrician bumble around with it (no offence intended to any careful sparkies out there...)

Perhaps Ill just wait for one to pop up closer to home. Ill probably appreciate it that much more after the wait....

Renee

Comment

here are some Pics for those that dont know what were talking about

Comment

They are a beautiful looking thing, but look curiously naked to me, as though they need a body to go around their bones!

One of my work colleagues has been lusting after these for ages, although I think the one hes after is about $15,000 or so!

Comment

Originally posted by 2537252533212338560 link=1243304918/10#10 date=1243321220
                            Perhaps Ill just wait for one to pop up closer to home.  
                            Did you miss renzos reply?

Originally posted by 1C31071A392A2C373431580 link=1243304918/2#2 date=1243306088
                            Renee;

Elektra machines are available here in Australia, and are 243-240 volt.  by the time you bring the machine and you make the convention could cost you more.

If you want a demo in one I can organize this you, give us a call or pm us.

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=44

Best regards

Renzo
                            Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre  

Comment

Quote:  "Totally seduced by the shiny, shiny stylings, but can anyone tell me if it will produce a good coffee?"

Sorry, but my answer is - no.

Comment

Working...
                              X