ECM Giotto dies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM Giotto dies.

Shee been going strong for about three years, until Friday night when she refused to heat up. Water level is fine, operated normally the night before. Whe the power was switched on, the pump started after a second or two, as is normal, came back 20 minutes later, pressure guage pointing further left than a left wing extremist. No heat, no pressure, I cried like a baby.

Dropped it off at CosmoreX Saturday morning and the techs rang Monday before 1100 to say it was the water control electrical board, so far. It had died and without a new one, no further fault finding could be done.  They reckon it shouldnt take more than a day for the part to arrive, as long as there is one on the shelf. $300 for the part an $99 p/h to fit. Fingers crossed thats the extent of it.

Question for Chris, do the CosmoreX techs need to know anything about the mod you do? Id hate them to "reset" the factory settings.

Boris.

Re: ECM Giotto dies.

Originally posted by 0A273A213B480 link=1243330457/0#0 date=1243330457
    Shee been going strong for about three years, until Friday night when she refused to heat up. Water level is fine, operated normally the night before. Whe the power was switched on, the pump started after a second or two, as is normal, came back 20 minutes later, pressure guage pointing further left than a left wing extremist. No heat, no pressure, I cried like a baby.

Dropped it off at CosmoreX Saturday morning and the techs rang Monday before 1100 to say it was the water control electrical board, so far. It had died and without a new one, no further fault finding could be done.  They reckon it shouldnt take more than a day for the part to arrive, as long as there is one on the shelf. $300 for the part an $99 p/h to fit. Fingers crossed thats the extent of it.

Question for Chris, do the CosmoreX techs need to know anything about the mod you do? Id hate them to "reset" the factory settings.

Boris.
    Sorry to hear that Boris,

Im sure that Mick at Cosmorex will look after it for you.

It will be a straight board swap and you will be running the new Proelind board from the GPP which is much more robust. If they do a wiring loom change as well, you get the flashing low water light as well- at a cost.

Nothing about the thermo upgrade will be influenced by the new board. You need only ensure that you are running the same boiler pressure. There should be no need to touch this though.

Good luck with the repair.

Chris

Comment

Ive heard about this problem a few times. Is this a common problem??

Comment

Originally posted by 68606F69613B3E0A0 link=1243330457/2#2 date=1243332213
        Ive heard about this problem a few times. Is this a common problem??
        Hi bjeck,

We have replaced quite a few boards- but in all brands. Most commonly, the element relay or the boiler fill switch pack it in...

Youngest machine I have done one in was a Giotto 18 months old- which looked 10yo and was filthy. On the other hand, there are 10yo machines still running their original boards.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chris. Pays to look after your bling

Comment

Just spoke to Andrew at CosmoreX, the Auto fill box and loom has been ordered, the old one has been superceded. Should be here next Tuesday. Thats two weekends in a row without coffee..

Comment

Originally posted by 67525F586C705C55555656330 link=1243330457/3#3 date=1243333163
              Most commonly, the element relay or the boiler fill switch pack it in...
              Is that repairable? With $300 for a new board, isnt it doable to do a refurb board? Or is the new design so much better?

RJ

Comment

Originally posted by 3B3C3C3B2D232827490 link=1243330457/6#6 date=1243732737
                Originally posted by 67525F586C705C55555656330 link=1243330457/3#3 date=1243333163
                Is that repairable? With $300 for a new board, isnt it doable to do a refurb board? Or is the new design so much better?

RJ
                Probably/possibly....Problem is that there arent too many (any?) mobs out there refurbishing boards. Guess the labour might make it uneconomical.

The new Proelind board is way more robust.

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 6A352D3B303B373E3E3D3D353936580 link=1243330457/7#7 date=1243735556
                  Originally posted by 3B3C3C3B2D232827490 link=1243330457/6#6 date=1243732737

RJ
                  Probably/possibly....Problem is that there arent too many (any?) mobs out there refurbishing boards. Guess the labour might make it uneconomical.

The new Proelind board is way more robust.

2mcm
                  Well I for one would be interested in looking at any old Boards that might have blown etc...

As an Electronics technician and access to many skilled professionals.. You just do not know what can be done until you ask..

As a job for a company... The one offs would make it unviable... from a $$$ and a Turn around response... Unless it was a simple problem.. In may cases, the part may need to be obtained and then testing could be a bit tricky...

However, that being said... Any CS member with a dead board and who is not screwed for a quick TAT... Just contact me :-)

AM

Comment

Hi Snobs,
                                 my Giotto is out of action at the moment too (its okay , the Bezzera needed testing any way ) , but before I went looking for dry joints the last time the controller misbehaved , I had a look over my Giottos controller pcb and .... theres a Z8 micro on board ...( the standard RL30 autolevel controller  used on everything else has 3 transistors ,  1 relay and 1 power transformer and some diodes and passives ).
                    In the Giotto the pressurestat directly controls mains to the element via a single relay in the Giotto controller , but other than looking at the boiler level sensor and the tank level sensor , and running the autofill valve and the pump to fill the boiler , the controller does nothing else .. and really doesnt need a micro .... or maybe a $3 pic 12C509
                    anyone good with a Z8 dissassembler ??  
                    Might be time to wire in my spare RL30 into my misbehaving Giotto.

Comment

Sorry Pip you lost me the ones and zeros talk. .
                      AngerManagement, when I get the dead one back we should talk to see if its worth having a look at.

The storey thus far. I rang today after not hearing anything for a week. The part was not shipped when part supplier said it would be, apparrently the supplier promised it would be shipped today. Its only coming from ECM in Sydney to Canberra, how hard can it be? Fingers crossed its here by Friday and they have time to fit it, finish testing and call me. God help me, a long weekend without coffee@home.!!

2MCM I have PM for you.

Boris

Comment

Originally posted by 173A273C26550 link=1243330457/10#10 date=1244025172
                        Sorry Pip you lost me the ones and zeros talk. .
                        AngerManagement, when I get the dead one back we should talk to see if its worth having a look at.

The storey thus far. I rang today after not hearing anything for a week. The part was not shipped when part supplier said it would be, apparrently the supplier promised it would be shipped today. Its only coming from ECM in Sydney to Canberra, how hard can it be? Fingers crossed its here by Friday and they have time to fit it, finish testing and call me. God help me, a long weekend without coffee@home.!!

2MCM I have PM for you.

Boris
                        Just let me know... Here is hoping all works out for  Friday... Opps Long weekend... Guess what is going to happen ???

INSTANT

Comment

ecm are usually fairly good. If they have it in stock, its at your door the next day.
                          I had to order 1 small part and it arrived next day in an express post bag.

Comment

AM is INSTANTly cruel  :-? [smiley=engel017.gif]

Comment

Alas, AM was on the money. I should have seen it written in all the freakin tea leaves Ive been drinking. I will say though Instant = not if it can possibly be avoided at all costs. Il happily ride 10kms to the nearest decent Cafe just for a fix.

Anyway rang again today (Friday) the part has arrived , no idea how long to fit it or if it will be ready Saturday AM, will call back to confirm.

Dave did call back to confirm:
                              1. That he could not confirm how long it would take ,
                              2. Nor when it might be ready :-[ ,
                              3. That my job was in a cue :-/ and,
                              4. Thats just the way it is > .

Delightful. Super.
                              Oh, and
                              5. That I should enjoy my long weekend. Hell call me when its ready.

I am a synic, my wife has mentioned this several times over the years, but Miss Giotto has been in a cue for two weeks already. Does that mean there are a large number of machines broken and CosmoreX has the lions share of the repair market in the ACT. Is it one job at a time till finished thing? Commercial orders in front, then warranty jobs, then the rest of the customers at the back?

Im frustrated and annoyed (large rant went here, but after re-reading, I self moderated).
                              More rant, started up again on a customer service approach and did the re-read thing. I didnt buy the machine there, its not under warranty, I guess Im at their mercy.

Lets hope its ready sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                              X