Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo - routine maintenance advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo - routine maintenance advice required

Hey Coffee Snobs, thanks for this great forum.  I did plenty of reading before splashing out and buying a Vibiemme Piccolo and Compak K3 from my local CS Sponsor - Real Coffee.

I have kicked them into gear, and the coffee is good, but hundreds of hours left to perfect the art of "good espresso".

The manual that comes with the Domobar is in four languages and simple (pathetic) at best.  There is nothing regarding system maintenance and cleaning.

Could Vibiemme masters and CS extraordinaries (thats all CS members) recommend a routine maintenance practice for the Piccolo, and the Compak K3 if possible.

Can I use a blind filter (none provided)?
    How do I best use the Espresso Machine Cleaner (Bombora)?

Thanks in advance, and Im as addicted to this forum as the caffeine produced by the doppio ristrettos I poured tonight.  

Re: Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo - routine maintenance advice required

You should have gotten a blind filter with the vbm.

After every session just do a few regular backflushes with water.

Then once a week a chemical backflush with the cleaner. I usually leave the solution to soak (ie. middle position of the lever) for a few minutes before draining it out.

Youll only need to descale about once a year if using softened water. Im not too sure about descaling the piccolo as I had the domobar super.

Im sure someone with experience will help you out

Gav

Comment

Congratulations on the purchase. I had one of these recently and enjoyed some excellent brews from it.

The maintenance is the same as other espresso machines. A blind filter is a must. If you buy a cleaning kit from  a sponsor it should contain the stuff for maintaining your machine and grinder, including a blind filter. I bought mine from Coffee Parts but other sponsors would stock it.

My maintenance in brief:
      Daily: brush around group head after each shot. Clean water backflush (with blind filter) before turning off machine.
      Weekly or fortnightly( depending on how much coffee you make): Detergent backflush (follow directions on pack but I only used 1/4 teaspoon and dissolved it in a little water in the blind filter before running through the machine. Flush well with  water after use.
      Soft brush to sweep out unused grinds from grinder. I usually save these for a priming shot after the detergent back flush
      Once a month or more soak baskets and steam tip in solution of backflush detergent and water.
      An old toothbrush is good for cleaning the filter basket.

Highly recommend a home barista course. The one I did covered most aspects of preparing coffee including maintenance.

Enjoy

Comment

Gents, thanks for the guidance.

I have read about the blind filter, but needed to confirm this is still appropriate for the VBM Piccolo. Will track one down tomorrow, and flush and clean VBM. Have also been using a brush and running water through the shower screen before and after every shot to clear any residual coffee.

I bought Barista Techniques by J.Doyle and its great, but it does preface the advice with the fact it was written for "commercial equipment".

Comment

you should have a blind basket supplied, one came with mine, it is a normal part of the kit that comes with the e61 grouphead machines

the only other thing you should do with this single boiler machine is to run some water through the group before you switch it off, this just makes sure the boiler is full and avoids possible problems of blowing an element,

Comment

Originally posted by 72576C2324160 link=1246186124/4#4 date=1246543487
            you should have a blind basket supplied, one came with mine, it is a normal part of the kit that comes with the e61 grouphead machines

the only other thing you should do with this single boiler machine is to run some water through the group before you switch it off, this just makes sure the boiler is full and avoids possible problems of blowing an element,
            Maybe, maybe not...

For some bizarre reason, VBM doesnt ship the piccolo with a blind. Many of them also hit the shores of OZ with a useless 4 hole steam tip as well- so it would depend on whether the original supplier remembered/noticed/cared.

2mcm

Comment

Maybe, maybe not...

For some bizarre reason, VBM doesnt ship the piccolo with a blind. Many of them also hit the shores of OZ with a useless 4 hole steam tip as well- so it would depend on whether the original supplier remembered/noticed/cared.

2mcm
              ok, must have been one of the lucky ones then

Comment

Working...
              X