Minore Died!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minore Died!!

So last night the ol minore I decided to pack it in.... drew some water for a cup of tea (maybe that was the problem, but it was about 9:30pm) and the boiler didnt refil. tried to get it to refil, by running some steam, and running the brew switch....
    then it tripped the house! blew the element is what happened...

well, spoke to expobar this morning, and they are going to take it tonight, and fix it tomorrow.... but the real question is, should i upgrade the temp controller? speaking to paul from expobar it may cost about $170-$200 to update it to a minore III set-up (pid plus changing the electrics so it is relay (i think))...

so, is this a good thing. from some of the discussion here, i think it may be worth it!

Re: Minore Died!!

Originally posted by 79606761666B120 link=1250142646/0#0 date=1250142646
    should i upgrade the temp controller? speaking to paul from expobar it may cost about $170-$200 to update it to a minore III set-up (pid plus changing the electrics so it is relay (i think))...
    As an observer
    Sounds like a very cost affective upgrade to me

I say why not "go for it"

KK

Comment

Sounds like a similar story to my Minore problems.

The bloke who fixed mine pointed out the possibility of a poor ground. If you look inside you may note the earth wires are bolted onto painted metal. He suggested that scraping the paint off in this one spot could improve the situation quite a bit. This is related to the problem at hand because it seems possible that the Minore sometimes incorrectly senses the water level in the boiler and applies heat when it shouldnt (due to the poor earth situation).

I have now sold my Minore and am saving hard for a commercial HX unit. I am thinking hard about the Elektra Sixtes A3/T1.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 437E79707F110 link=1250142646/2#2 date=1250153596
        If you look inside you may note the earth wires are bolted onto painted metal.
        Painted?

Comment

Originally posted by 1824392228293E2B23284C0 link=1250142646/3#3 date=1250173516
          Originally posted by 437E79707F110 link=1250142646/2#2 date=1250153596
          If you look inside you may note the earth wires are bolted onto painted metal.  
          Painted?
          Powder coated is probably the better term to use.

Comment

Interesting....
            Why would they powder coat the inside?
            My Leva is SS inside and out.

Renzo? Are you reading this?
            Please comment.

Comment

Originally posted by 1824392228293E2B23284C0 link=1250142646/5#5 date=1250209833
              Why would they powder coat the inside?
              Renzo may be able to add some info TG, though for the time being...

Powder coating is sprayed onto a pre-cleaned metal surface. In simple terms, the powder has an electric charge and the metal surface acts to ground the charge and the powder sticks to the surface before being cured. It pretty much envelops whatever its sprayed on as long as the surface is clean. hence the inside gets a coating too.

Den "not just you average roaster" phile.

Comment

Chris from TalkCoffee informed me that the new GPPs being shipped out are apparently also coming with powder-coated frames (only visible from inside the machine)

As opposed to the first batches of GPPs (including mine) which were painted.

Not 100% sure what advantage there would be, maybe its a consistency or cost-related thing

Sorry to hear about your Minore krusty. As an observer like KK, Id also be inclined to have them do the update for that price. Do you know if theyre providing any sort of limited warranty on the update?

Comment

hence the inside gets a coating too
                  Thanks Dennis; I understand the technique.
                  What I dont understand, as my Expobar is SS on the outside and I dont remember seeing any powder coating on the inside, is why there would be coating on the inside of a Minore.

Comment

I just checked my camera and I have photos of the interior of the Minore.

The black powder coated steel frame is clearly visible.

Ill re-size and post them this evening.

cheers,
                    Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by 15373030333F383309103F333832560 link=1250142646/7#7 date=1250212843
                      Not 100% sure what advantage there would be, maybe its a consistency or cost-related thing
                      More control over uniformity of the coating, no concerns re: overspray of nearby surfaces, many more options of the type of coating compound(s) to use... Mostly to do with durability and longevity.

Thats a few reasons CF and Im sure there are many more...

Mal.

Comment

Minore II - Photos. Sorry one photo per post.

Comment

With the back off. Noting the black powder coated frame.

Comment

An inside shot. Note that behind the front panel its all powder coated. This vertical face is where the earth wires are grounded.

Comment

A closer look.

Comment

Working...
                              X