Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to make a decision...

Hi all,

Ive been lurking for many moons while toiling away with my hopelessly inadequte Sunbeam combination. Well, the time has come to break the shackles and branch out into the pointy end.

Ive narrowed it down to 2 machines:
    Minore III
    or
    Bezzera Domus Galatea

So what do you think - heads or tails? :-/

Re: Time to make a decision...

Originally posted by 676E7F7F66676E7F7F660F0 link=1255159206/0#0 date=1255159206
    Hi all,

Ive been lurking for many moons while toiling away with my hopelessly inadequte Sunbeam combination. Well, the time has come to break the shackles and branch out into the pointy end.

Ive narrowed it down to 2 machines:
    Minore III
    or
    Bezzera Domus Galatea

So what do you think - heads or tails? :-/
    Both good machines and support from sponsors..

1: Ya drink Milk or Black drinks in the main ?

2: Space and look for teh Kitchen

Other than that... If it is that close... Flick a coin.. It is a tried and true method when in a stalemate.

AM

Comment

Mostly milk, however with a quality machine I know Ill delve more into the black side. My wife on the other hand will always prefer the milk.

Comment

I can only comment on the Galatea having owned for a year:

pros
        - quality build hasnt missed a beat
        - great steaming abilty (I changed to 2 hole tip)
        - quick boiler recovery (2 L / 1400w)
        - look and finish, rolled edges, no exposed screws etc
        - parts readily available from importer (Barazi QLD)

cons
        - noisy pump
        - drip tray could be a tad larger
        - have had a few probs with seals/stiffness in ball joint of steamwand

hope that helps somewhat,

Comment

Hi happihappi,

Wa can offer you http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/6#6 if youre ready to move...

Pricing is the best in Australia and far better than any competitor.

Chris

Comment

Ho Happihappi;

This is agood time to be happy, we can offer you http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932885, this special is for the month of October.

Regards

Renzo
            Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

I have owned the Bezzera Galatea for quite some time
              I have not once had the upgrade bug nibble at me
              (unlike my grinders :)

Put simply
              Its a well made machine with a great build quality

Originally posted by 6E74706E767C79781D0 link=1255159206/3#3 date=1255185601
              cons
              - noisy pump
              - drip tray could be a tad larger
              - have had a few probs with seals/stiffness in ball joint of steamwand
              Vibe pump noise is normal as with other makes of machines

Drip tray is a trade off for a smaller footprint to fit in smaller places or restricted kitchens

KK

Comment

Hi Happi

If you are having a problem deciding show your wife a picture of both the Minore and the Galatea. See what she would like appearance-wise. Ill bet she will opt for the Galatea :-) Thats what finally decided for me when out of 6 machines I tried in a sponsors shop it narrowed down to two choices - both equal in performance. The Galatea looks very good.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 41656C6C6F6F5541657967650A0 link=1255159206/6#6 date=1255230199
                  I have owned the Bezzera Galatea for quite some time

I have not once had the upgrade bug nibble at me  
                  I cant believe Ive finally convinced the boss to let me shell out close to $3K on a machine, so I definitely do not want to be catchin any upgrade bug for a loooong time  

I am a little concerned Ill be missing out on something if I dont have PID. Im not confident I know exactly what the PID benefits are (more searching of the forums needed, appreciate any links you might know of), or what I might be missing out on without it.

The other decision point for me is dual boiler vs HX. From what I can tell the pros / cons sit fairly evenly with both options.

Originally posted by 3D3E2B222B212327252B4E0 link=1255159206/7#7 date=1255232735
                  If you are having a problem deciding show your wife a picture of both  
                  Galatea won that battle by a knockout  

Comment

Originally posted by 535A4B4B52535A4B4B523B0 link=1255159206/8#8 date=1255248828
                    Galatea won that battle by a knockout
                    As you are a Brisbane resident you can drive to Barazi @ Coopers Plains and try it out

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 694D444447477D694D514F4D220 link=1255159206/9#9 date=1255249273
                      As you are a Brisbane resident you can drive to Barazi @ Coopers Plains and try it out

KK
                      Ive checked both units out in the flesh. Both performed exceptionally well according to my taste buds.

Aesthetically, I was pleasantly surprised by the Minore, it was much better looking in the real life. I know exactly what its like to be less photogenic than others  ;D

Comment

[QUOTE=5F70797B6C537F707F797B737B706A1E0 link=1255159206/1#1 date=1255159503]
                        ... Flick a coin..  It is a tried and true method when in a stalemate
                        ...called a binary executive decision maker....also good for buy/sell decisions  8-)

Comment

IMO.

A PID is nothing more than a precise way of maintaining or changing the set temperature in the boiler--and is therefore of most use in single boiler non-Hx, and double boiler machines, where the boiler water is used to brew the coffee.

In an Hx machine the boiler temperature is controlled by steam pressure and is usually pretty tightly controlled. Most seem to be controlled within .2 or .3 bar (about 3 or 4°C). The brewing temperature is then determined by the Hx design, and is changeable by adjusting the pressurestat, and water flushing.

So---a PID on a double boiler will give more stable and adjustable temperates. An Hx machine will use fresh, non-boiled water to make the coffee.

Think about what you want--set and forget temperature, or adjustable? Fresh water, or re-boiled? Can you taste the difference?--try it and see.

Good luck, either way it will be a big step up from a Sunbeam, and remember to allocate sufficient funds for a quality grinder.

Greg

Comment

I opted for the Minore because its easy to set the brew temperature precisely, and easy to alter it without lifting the lid and affecting the boiler pressure. Also having the water at the right temperature every time means no need for a cooling flush (in my experience anyway). Having said all that, I dont think Ive ever actually adjusted the brew temperature! Its just nice to know I can! :

The drip tray can double as a lasagna dish (as you probably saw) which was great after the Silvias 500ml jobbie. Steaming ability is a little disappointing, in texturing time its a lot closer to the Silvia than a commercial machine and for a 1700ml dedicated boiler (compared to the Silvias 300ml) I was expecting a little more grunt.

As to the reboiled water, the normal context of this relates to making tea in an electric kettles and the problem is is the depletion of oxygen; however where does the oxygen go in a sealed boiler? it doesnt just vanish or osmose through the brass boiler and out into the atmosphere. While high school chemistry was never my strong point, my understanding would be that the oxygen remains with the water when its in a sealed vessel, and as such reboiling isnt going to be the problem it is in a kettle.

Happy to be convinced otherwise by more learned snobs though!

Greg

Comment

Not ever having had the opportunity to play with a Minore Greg..... Does the water actually boil in the Brew Water Boiler? Or, does it get heated to some point a few degrees below boiling?

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X