Upgrade completed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade completed!

Upgrade status appears to have changed from "if" to "when", just need to be patient ;D
    I was considering either the Giotto (looks) or VBM Domobar Junior (size)
    I had made my mind up on the VBM, as bench space for coffee toys is limited to 45x55cm in a corner, and the new M4D has claimed a bit of that already.

Junior (son) then asked if the new machine would be good enough to make coffees for him and his bunch ride mates on a saturday morning, they could come here instead of having to park their bikes on the footpath outside the various local cafes. There are usually about a dozen that go for coffee after their 100km ride, I would expect that most of them would have milk drinks, would the VBM handle 12 coffees in a row, or should I give up a bit more bench and go for the Giotto?

Re: Upgrade completed!

Originally posted by 434F464645457F4D554D200 link=1264995952/0#0 date=1264995952
    Upgrade status appears to have changed from "if" to "when", just need to be patient ;D
    I was considering either the Giotto (looks) or VBM Domobar Junior (size)
    I had made my mind up on the VBM, as bench space for coffee toys is limited to 45x55cm in a corner, and the new M4D has claimed a bit of that already.

Junior (son) then asked if the new machine would be good enough to make coffees for him and his bunch ride mates on a saturday morning, they could come here instead of having to park their bikes on the footpath outside the various local cafes. There are usually about a dozen that go for coffee after their 100km ride, I would expect that most of them would have milk drinks, would the VBM handle 12 coffees in a row, or should I give up a bit more bench and go for the Giotto?
    Hi coffee mum,

In a back to back shootout, the larger boiler of a Giotto will always be advantageous. In theory, the Giotto would take less of a hit, but in practice, its probably similar as the VBM has a larger capacity element.

Realistically, I dont think it matters all that much. The only thing to keep in mind is that bigger boiler = more steam volume. You should be able to go back to back shots and simultaneous milk texture on either. My advice: choose the one you like

Hope that helps...

Chris

Comment

Hey Coffee Mum,
      I cant speak for the VBM, but the GPP will do 12 in a row without a hint of complaint, i semi-catered for a work function a while ago with 25 ppl, i made around 50 pretty much back to back without a problem, the only thing with it is the drip tray......small to say the least, this can be managed though with a plastic dish when you flush.......in march im doing coffee for a function my better half is catering for, 60 people 4 hours, and itll do it with ease......best of luck in you decision!

Comment

Thanks Chris, I hadnt thought about the element being bigger and compensating for volume, I think Ill stick with my original choice. Now to get the other half to stop playing games and just say YES  [smiley=undecided.gif]
        Ill be in touch once he gives in (soon I hope)

Comment

Originally posted by 7F7B5D4444415E4946280 link=1264995952/2#2 date=1264999393
          Hey Coffee Mum,
          I cant speak for the VBM, but the GPP will do 12 in a row without a hint of complaint, i semi-catered for a work function a while ago with 25 ppl, i made around 50 pretty much back to back without a problem, the only thing with it is the drip tray......small to say the least, this can be managed though with a plastic dish when you flush.......in march im doing coffee for a function my better half is catering for, 60 people 4 hours, and itll do it with ease......best of luck in you decision!
          I can speak for the VBM junior and have had to produce many coffees in a row when relatives come around and the VBM has no problems other than having to fill up the water reservoir regularly and as for looks, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I know Im biased but that was one reason I chose the VBM over the Giotto. The other reasons were price and footprint and not once did I ever worry about the performance of the VBM. Its reputation as well as the giotto is outstanding

Tough choice coffee_mum. Youll be happy with either.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A293A3A21480 link=1264995952/4#4 date=1265007225
            the VBM has no problems other than having to fill up the water reservoir regularly  

Originally posted by 2B272E2E2D2D17253D25480 link=1264995952/0#0 date=1264995952
            Junior (son) then asked if the new machine would be good enough to make coffees for him and his bunch ride mates on a saturday morning, they could come here instead of having to park their bikes on the footpath outside the various local cafes. There are usually about a dozen that go for coffee after their 100km ride,
            2 Litre reservoir might get annoying with all of those cyclists around!

Comment

Originally posted by 5E59424A4D5F582C0 link=1264995952/5#5 date=1265011463
              1800/50 (assuming a 20ml flush/shot) = 36 shots...

You should be ok

Comment

I can feel your excitement from here coffee mum....

Those lucky bikers/cyclists. Should get them to pick up some nibblies to contribute into the mix .....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 182D2027130F232A2A29294C0 link=1264995952/6#6 date=1265011740
                  Originally posted by 5E59424A4D5F582C0 link=1264995952/5#5 date=1265011463
                  1800/50 (assuming a 20ml flush/shot) = 36 shots...

You should be ok
                  Refilling the boiler wouldnt be any more of a hassle than reboiling the kettle when the olds lob for cups of tea. And if I need to refill the boiler after 36 shots its probably time for me to stop for a coffee anyway ;D

Originally posted by 1B36323E335F0 link=1264995952/7#7 date=1265015072
                  Those lucky bikers/cyclists. Should get them to pick up some nibblies to contribute into the mix .....
                  After pedalling 100ks, no thanks :P

Id be happy to supply some goodies to go with a coffee, and if it were to become more than an occaisional session Im sure they would make a financial contribution, after all they would pay at the cafe. The tips and advice that son picks up from these after ride sessions is of far more value than the money it would cost.

Comment

You might need a couple of these

Comment

The Giotto will pull shot after shot and steam milk without problem. It works quicker than I do

Good luck with the catering

Comment

Originally posted by 50574C44435156220 link=1264995952/9#9 date=1265031776
                        You might need a couple of these
                        Yeah, likely, 2 of those would be as much as another M4D ;D ;D ;D The bikes however, theres probalby close to 30k hanging there
                        We have plenty of grass in the back yard, which will do our guys just fine

Comment

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]UPGRADE APPROVED [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

It came in a lovely Valentines Day card. I decided on the VBM and have placed the order, now just need to juggle work to get to Chriss to pick it up.  

Comment

Awesome! Congrats! Now the wait!!, some say waiting is half the fun.....................its not > ;D

Comment

It wont be long, Chris said it will be there on Tuesday, so I am praying that the weather god is kind and lets me work tomorrow, so I can get to Melbourne on Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                              X