San Marino CK - Black ABS top - Rebuild project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Marino CK - Black ABS top - Rebuild project

Originally posted by 795456505D5C58350 link=1260267591/36#36 date=1265194082
    Originally posted by 77585153447B57585751535B535842360 link=1260267591/34#34 date=1265185966
    (get here and an OLD San Marino CK is on my back door).
    You get all the cool toys.  I wish people left me pressies at the back door to fix.  I love taking things apart, fixing them and giving them another chance at being useful.  Maybe theres a future job in that for me?

Next time your up this way let me know...

... and if any CSers are wanting a get together maybe we can figure out a date.
    Dont know about cool toys..  FRUSTRATING  - Still yet to get a small meal lathe, and the bloody snales have decided to eat all my vegies  etc..

Back On Topic.

As part of  the  "Tough Love " meetings and crappy floor sweepings for refreshments, a couple that run a small corner store mentioned that there old faithful coffee machine had to be put down and they got a new 2 group Expobar...

They said it no longer worked and having just spent $600 to have a new pump..  Decided not to spend any more..  Yep.. They get it services every 6 months as well... Did not ask how it is all managed...  That was and is out side of the code of conduct of the formal meetings..

Needless to say.. I did hit that I would love to have a look see  

Got home and opened to box..  Typical Italian...   Clean as a whistle and stinks of Windex.. Err maybe thats Greek ?

Any way... SS San Marino (CK) - Black ABS top and vibe pump..  Been used but looks great on the out side..

Well knock me over with a lump of wet red Licorish !!!!!    :

1: New Pump in the last 9 months - ( I recon   )

2: Serviced every 6 months -  (I recon  :-? )

3: But loosing steam performance  ( Steam valve has been leaking and spraying in side..)

4: Internal tank..  ( This is cracked in the top 1/3)

Now they left a note to say.. If a couple of Hundred would fix it.. YES..  If not... Mine to play with..

Now I can see this taking a couple of months, if not more and may be a good $300 plus..

Oh... Last pic.. I think thats a SS pulley that has been attached to the pick up line to keep it on the bottom..

Comments please....... Before, I start to pull it down / apart.

NOTE: If some one knows how to re wire the water level sensors, as per the manufacturer; to allow me to turn it into a plumbed unit.. That would be great..... Got a rough idea but better to stick to the traditional way; such that if any one else ends up with this unit..  The wiring etc will make sense.

Re: San Marino CK - Black ABS top - Bin or WHAT

Am, the lucy has a low water pressure switch if that help.  Ive got a wiring diagram for her (from a fellow CSer) and the silvia wiring diagram with no water level switch.  Shouldnt be too different and just a case of bypassing the switch.

Looks like a fun project.  Maybe sourcing another tank would be cheaper, mind you Im starting to think about ditching the tank on Lucy.  The thing always runs out of water mid shot!!!

PS.  What do you do with all these coffee machines after you fix em up?

Oh and just to add I think it looks like a repair to me. Not much else can go wrong if its got a new pump and the boiler is okay... not that im an expert. Reduce Reuse Recycle I say.

Comment

I say its fixable
      After a good strip down and clean up it will look & work like new again

Originally posted by 15383A3C313034590 link=1265198451/1#1 date=1265245426
      Maybe sourcing another tank would be cheaper,
      Yes I concur

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 183537313C3D39540 link=1265198451/1#1 date=1265245426
        Am, the lucy has a low water pressure switch if that help.  Ive got a wiring diagram for her (from a fellow CSer) and the silvia wiring diagram with no water level switch.  Shouldnt be too different and just a case of bypassing the switch.
        AND

Originally posted by 1F3B323231310B1F3B27393B540 link=1265198451/2#2 date=1265246883
        I say its fixable
        After a good strip down and clean up it will look & work like new again
        Ok... Interested in teh cct...

The san uses two probes to sense the drop in water in the tank and then fills... etc... and I have some very old cct with some comments as to how to wire it... But always on teh lookout for supported methods etc..

As to a strip down.. Will take a few months as will need to sand blast all parts of teh frame and then re paint etc.. The all solenoids to be ultra sonic bathed etc etc..

And all pipes and fittings to be washed in the right solutions and then put back together...

PS. What do you do with all these coffee machines after you fix em up?

Errrr

1: The EM6910 is still in bits and yet to re order another head and seal.. No group handle, so can not use any way... Will wait until I get a group handle from some where.. Then fix..

Then use when I go on hols...

2: S26 Rancilio still in a state of repair.. Elements are stuffed.. Have got it to work and spoken to teh owner.. He said I can do what I want with it ???

Spent more than a few $$$ but without new Elements could not pass it on or sell it.. Others on evil bay might, but my approch is not one of making a quick buck..

3: A totally blown up BZ99... Pump / Elements / Solenoids / Boiler / Steam Arm etc etc Looking like at least $600 in parts to start with...

4: San Marino CK.. Pics above

Well no action until the owners drop over this Friday night and get to have a look.

Outcome/s...

My shed is a mess of part working / dead coffee machines

Wife is not happy as bits keep turning up in teh house...

Have a hobby that keeps me at home and I enjoy learning more about the real bits and pieces and how things tick... I guess part of my trade and quals kicking in and needing to understand.

Desired Result:

Maybe a Coffee Garage sale one weekend..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Enough spare cash to;

A: buy bits and pieces,

B: Allow me to search and find a nice older style machine to restore, and

C: Maybe a few $$$ to allow me, to upgrade my current machine for something a little more out there..

D: Ongoing learning and keeping teh mind active

E: Been sorter and crusher to be obtained - for the home grown cherries ( The tree I recovered has survived and teh green beans are getting BIGGER )

At the end of teh day... The $$$ is not the aim..

It is about the Coffee path and having an interest that allows interaction with other balanced ;D and like minded people

Comment

Update... San Marino CK;

Have passed on teh San Marino CK to a fellow snobber who; for many reasons, needs a solid project to get his hands dirty and manage his time ;D

A nominal scrap / disposal value, is to be passed onto the owners and they are aware of the road that is being taken......

I will be inspecting and assisting with the electrical .... But am assuming that it will be some time before that will be needed...

Lots of pics / stripping and cleaning of many parts to be done, before any electrons, even need to come close...

My only requirement is that; we all get progress reports and pics.

PS. I got to it with a high pressure cleaner this morning and looks much better already...

Comment

Thanks AM, hopefully I can turn it around to be a productive machine again with some assistance.

If anyone has any info about this machine, manuals, or service manuals please let me know.

I will be happy to post my progress & photos.

Comment

Originally posted by 664B494F4243472A0 link=1265198451/5#5 date=1265517961
              Thanks AM, hopefully I can turn it around to be a productive machine again with some assistance.

If anyone has any info about this machine, manuals, or service manuals please let me know.

I will be happy to post my progress & photos.
              After about 3 hrs of playing etc... Got the pump to work... Mind you about 29min after I ordered and paid for a new one :-? :-? :-?

So when ya start to strip down etc...

Drop the pump in (Ya know where) on the next visit... I will see if I can remember the process... For home use and saving a few $$$ got to be worth a try..

PS. Still having a chuckle as to you spotting my place due to the sign on the ROOF... Bet ya wife started to panic

Stay strong and on track.

Mark

Comment

My wife thinks your nuts mate but we all know your a top bloke.

Will drop the pump down next Monday. Now I know where your house is I will pop it near the shed.

Originally posted by 17383133241B37383731333B333822560 link=1265198451/6#6 date=1265670419
                Mind you about 29min after I ordered and paid for a new one
                murphys law that one mate, still now you have two.

Oh and I nearly fell off my chair when I got home. I got a reply from CMA re documentation. Emailed them the serial number and it will be interesting to see what I get back from them.

Whats the frame made out of? I doesnt look painted.

Comment

Originally posted by 436E6C6A6766620F0 link=1265198451/7#7 date=1265686448
                  Whats the frame made out of?  I doesnt look painted.
                  My guess is a mild steal of sorts and a light cad plating..

I want pics ;D

Comment

I was considering sandblasting the frame but if its plated it might not be a good idea.

Update: I wanted to make sure that I could get her working before I spend hours cleaning and pulling bits off.

I fixed the low water wire, filled the tank (1/2 way) and turned her on to see what would happen. The pump works and is pumping water our the group (so I assume the tank would be full?) and sucking up water from the tank, when it started heating a valve (manual calls it an "Anti Eddy Valve V.A.R.") started hissing on the boiler (see piccy below), water spurted out as it heated more then later a little bit popped up and it kept expeling hot air with the odd water spurt. Is that normal? Also kept the pressure guage went up to 1.5bar before I turned it off again. Is that normal?

Heres a piccy of the valve. Its definately the cause of the nearby frame corrosion.

I was suprised that the pump worked, quieter than lucy too. Not sure if its pumping as per specs. I suppose only volume of water discharged from the group would tell me that.

What a bargain AM!

Comment

Originally posted by 6A454C4E59664A454A4C4E464E455F2B0 link=1265198451/4#4 date=1265429458
                      I will be inspecting and assisting with the electrical .... But am assuming that it will be some time before that will be needed...

Lots of pics / stripping and cleaning of many parts to be done, before any electrons, even need to come close...  

: : :

Comment

Maheel,

I had discussed my approach with AM and he didnt freak out about me turning it on!  I actually got hold of a manual that showed how the low water level indicator works so I fixed it temporarily to test the machine.  By running it Ive tested the pump, elements etc.  Before I strip it all down I want to know what state the machine is in and what parts I require to order so that I can replace them as I rebuild.

As this is my first espresso machine renovation, any help you might want to add would be gratefully accepted.

PS: Also got a manual from CMA.

Comment

just be safe

i would have done the same and turned it on after making sure it was "safe"

sounds like it might be some sort of antivac valve leaking on the top they all sort of hiss a bit prior to the "steam" forcing them shut so you can build pressure. sometimes they continue to hiss and spurt if they have scale or are just stuffed if steam is sneaking past the seal

are these a HX machine? if it is the be warned the boiler may be empty but you can still get water out the group. as the HX circut run through the tank

make sure it refills or you fill it manually

Comment

maheel,

Im on a bit of a learning curve because its a HX. Ive got a Miss Lucy (silvia). Would the boiler auto fill? The pump did run on its own accord at the start, so I guessed it was auto filling the boiler. And how would you manual fill it??? I might have to read up about how they work a bit more I think. The manual doesnt really mention filling the boiler at all, but AM did mention that the boiler had water in it when I picked it up.

Comment

talking from my limited experience, and all touching / removing should be done WITH THE PLUG PULLED FROM THE WALL !!

some (most) commercial machines have a manual fill lever type set up where you "press" it and it will fill the boiler. it bypasses all the auto functions. and uses water pressure from the tap to fill the boiler. this machine may not have one?

by "be warned" i mean that you could burn out the element by heating it up with a empty boiler. on some old machines I have filled a boiler by removing anti vac or safety valve and filling with a bucket and funnel to above the element line. this was regardless of if it was auto fill or not....

if the pump ran when you turned it on it sounds like it was auto filling or trying to, you just need to confirm the water will be above the element somehow. sight glass or by how far the sensors are in, or even a wooden spoon in through the anti vac (machine turned off)

just be safe and smart, they are not that complicated to look at once you understand how it all works.

i had a san marino and it was built like a tank
                              Leeham

Comment

Working...
                              X