Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Originally posted by 7B677A7A6D667C6166696B676E6E6D6D080 link=1265525881/209#209 date=1313392185
    oh- I recently noticed that the new Olympia Cremina lever machine has an anti-vac valve built into the boiler lid. It would be great if you could adapt one of these for the lusso so there would be no more false pressure... Knowing the high cost of the Cremina machines it would probably cost 200 dollars just for the boiler cap. But no doubt the quality would be outstanding.
    Doug and Barb have them at Orphanespresso for $68...hmmmm

Comment

email and ask them if it will fit- they should know as they are familiar with the lusso. This could be a real winner if it works. Only problem is there may not be enough clearance between the boiler and the cup warming tray... would be a real stroke of luck if they used the same thread...

Comment

Originally posted by 7C607D7D6A617B66616E6C6069696A6A0F0 link=1265525881/211#211 date=1313402465
        email and ask them if it will fit- they should know as they are familiar with the lusso. This could be a real winner if it works. Only problem is there may not be enough clearance between the boiler and the cup warming tray... would be a real stroke of luck if they used the same thread...
        Done! As you say if the cap fits it would be great, Id be prepared to forgo the cup warming as I usually warm my cups with a bit of hot water. If the lid didnt fit it would look at bit like an (original) Fiat 500 Abarth... ;D

Comment

actually: looking at them- they may fit- but even if they do- it could be good to have the knob above the drip tray. There was a 70s model of the Lusso type club machine made by a company called La Romana (from memory)- on this machine the boiler cap was above the drip tray with a nice little funnel neck to catch drips. So you can fill the boiler without having to remove the cup warmer and leave the cups in place.

So you could cut/drill a hole in the lusso cup warmer- and mount the anti-vac cap up on top. I think these valve emit a few drops of water or steam wisps- so having it above the cup warmer would also keep any moisture away from the electrics in the cabinet. Even if the cap fit underneath I would consider adding a length of tube and having it up top.

If these fit I think I will mod my Lusso.

Comment

Ive thought about the Olympia Cremina boiler cap too. I couldnt find anyone to actually test it, and $70 + postage was a bit high just to test it out. Im pretty sure a new one could be made locally with s 1/4" BSP female at the top for fitting an antivac. Probably be cheaper too.

I tried going to route from the Pstat adding an antivac and it was too much of a pain in the bum. Did think about using the safety valve hole, putting a T in, safety valve horizontal with the antivac on top. Might be a bit high though.

Personally I just think it woud shine with an antivac.l

Comment

did you see that other brass boiler cap that OE have in their old olympia parts list? It has a hole in the top for fitting a P-stat or temp probe- but perhaps it could also take an anti-vac?

It seems it may be an easier solution than trying to fit it in the cabinet? I like the idea of having the fill knob above the cup tray.... I am going to have to do it.

also I need some naked PFs made- anyone out there willing to give me a price for cutting some down?

I found the images of the Romana club machine on the OE site (I hope you dont mind me posting the images here Doug and Barb?). Man o man is it a beauty- a real Beauty. It is like a deluxe Lusso- heavier build:

Comment

From Barb:

Subject: Cremina valve cap - fit a Lusso?

Hi James, no, the thread is the wrong size (Cremina is M25) and the Lusso is smaller, good question though!
                Barb

Nuts...unless someone could make some sort of adaptor...

Comment

Originally posted by 445845455259435E5956545851515252370 link=1265525881/215#215 date=1313478130
                  also I need some naked PFs made- anyone out there willing to give me a price for cutting some down?
                  I asked Greg Pullman to cut me a naked pf for my presso.. He did a beautiful job...

Might be worth asking him if he can do one for the lusso???

Comment

An extension pipe would work, connect to the boiler, out a hole in the cover and boiler cap with antivac on top. Nice idea, simple and no water spraying around the cabinet (my biggest worry!

PMd you about the nakids. Mine is just being fitted wtih matching timber HW & Steam taps.

Comment

Just a quick post to show you all the final lusso piccies with custom timber handles and taps. Looks lovely.

I think I have the only fully tricked out PV lusso with custom handles & taps in the world! ;D 8-)

Comment

Nice Lacehim....very nice 8-)

ltmon - I have mine on a timer as well, set to start the machine 20 mins before I wake up. Part of my morning routine is to bleed the false pressure off before I have the morning shower and Ive never had any dramas. Ive also set it to be nice and warm when I get home of an evening as well. Both ends of the day covered

Comment

Thanks for the replies -- Ive just pulled the trigger (lever?) on this purchase.

Ill be drumming my fingers until it arrives...

p.s. Beautiful work Lacehim

Comment

Hello there Luke- order received- thankyou. I will post the machine this afternoon. You should get it on Tuesday- registered mail. If no-one is home to sign for it they will hold it at your PO.

Welcome to the world of Lusso!

Comment

I have just had confirmationm from Jack....
                              my Lusso is on its way.
                              Looking forward to getting my hands on it when it arrives.

Comment

Hi all, Ive had my Lusso for a couple of weeks now so thought Id post my impressions.

Ive been using a Sunbeam 4800C (with after-market basket) for the last 4 years, and thats the only machine Ive owned, so I should be easy to impress

First things first, the coffee quality Im getting now is outstanding to my tastes. Im probably getting a "wow" shot only one of every several attempts, but Im still learning the ins and outs and the other shots are still quite good. Modifying the preinfusion time and lever strokes does have a significant effect on the end result, so theres a lot of user control over the coffee taste.

Im finding that a finer grind than Im used to, combined with a few taps to distribute and a lightweight tamp and polish has been producing the best results. I have noticed that if you guide the lever up then a fracture of the puck is very noticeable in the feel of the lever -- it goes a little jumpy -- which helps to tune my technique.

I did have a hiccup to start with as the Lusso arrived with a broken pressure gauge which leaked steam at a high rate. Jack has been very helpful getting a replacement to me quickly, but it was a frustrating few days looking at the Lusso rather than using it. The good news is that its easy to screw the old one off and the new one on.

Steam is a no-brainer. Theres plenty of it, its dry and the fixed angle of the wand is just fine.  Hot water is useful sometimes, but the tap only has two settings -- off and "argh my eyes". Be careful with the hot water tap!

Cleaning the machine after use is super quick, as there doesnt seem to be anywhere in the group head for deposits of grinds to get stuck. A quick flush then wipe of the group is all I have to do.

The portafilters can be a bit annoying, because the baskets drop out very easily and the handles are quite small for big hands. This combines to make knocking out the puck tricky and there have been occasional explosions of used grinds around my kitchen. The other thing is that the channels in the portafilter are machined very unevenly, so one outlet will only ever see a few drips of coffee. This has no real practical effect as I never try and make two shots from a single group simultaneously anyway.

Small things: the cup heating tray gets very hot quickly, so usually no water is required to heat cups. The tamper supplied by Sorrentina swapped straight on to a nice red anodized steel handle I already had like it was made for it which is a great stroke of luck.

Overall Im very happy. The Lusso lives up to its reputation of being a solid and user friendly lever. Im convinced I can improve the quality of coffee Im getting, but Im by no means unhappy with my early results. Theres possibly a QC issue at Ponte Vecchio, but sometimes you can simply get unlucky, so my one problem is not a good way to judge that.

Comment

Working...
                                X