Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Bullitt, did you insulate the ends of the boiler?

Comment

Originally posted by 5A7775737E7F7B160 link=1265525881/240#240 date=1315813708
      Bullitt, did you insulate the ends of the boiler?
      Originally posted by 54637A7A7F6262160 link=1265525881/239#239 date=1315797631
      I have 2 layers over each end,

Java "Answered before you asked! ;D" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi there, just wondering does the 12kg body feel solid enough? I still manage to move la cimbali m21s 30kg body when I lock the PF. Or maybe I am too rough with my machine. :P

Comment

Yes - it is solid enough. Weighs more than that when full of water and is very stable when you pull the lever. Just dont try and pull both at once or it will tip forward...

Comment

Is there anywhere in Melbourne I can look at one of these machines?

Comment

Hi all,

Can anyone comment on the build quality of this machine? I currently have a la pavoni and am looking for something with greater heat stability and a more solid feel...

Whats it like pulling back to back shots? And can you pull a decent first shot of the day (I find with the la pavoni that the first shot allways ends up in the drain - so not ideal for a quick coffee in the morning).

Comment

The fit and finish is of lesser quality than the La Pav (from the little Ive seen of the pavonis anyway) but I think the "bits that count" are perfectly good.

Mine stays on all day some weekends, and Ive pulled up to 10 shots running without any deviation in quality. It is very temperature stable and easy to use once you get going on it. Especially with 2 groups, any temperature variation is smoothed out as you swap from group to group.

Getting up to temperature isnt too hard either. Once the boilder is at pressure I usually flush some water then walk away for 10 minutes. At this stage the groups will be at their stable operating temperature. If you just turn it on and walk away for a longer time it will be fine on its own.

Comment

I think ltmon was fair, the Lusso may not have the same build quality as an Olympia Cremina, but it does have temperature stability, and is relatively forgiving, it can be left on all day if you want, can make multiple drinks in succession if you need to, and first thing in the morning, it doesnt take long to get up to temperature. If your budget is in this range, it is hard to beat it for the money if what is in the cup is important to you.

Comment

I agree. The machines are quite basic, but the specs are completely different than a pavoni. They are far more temperature stable- there is no comparison. And they are far more stable (anti-wobble stable) - being a larger block of a machine- with a firm foundation. Just dont try and pull both levers at the same time... :.

Pavoni is great if you only make coffee for one- especially the Europiccola model. After that it is a bit of a pain (but very rewarding as well) . Lusso is very good for higher demands- easy to make 4 or 5 in a row- the most I have done is about twenty and the groups did start to get very hot towards the end- coffee was still great. I let it cool down- topped up the boiler and was good to go in twenty minutes. But most of all the Lusso is easy to dial in. The easiest lever I have used full stop. Very hard to ruin a shot- and I dont know if I ever burned one either. Grind and tamp is simple and does not need much adjustment from bean to bean.

Comment

Referring to my post quite a while ago about the reflector I fitted behind the water level sight glass, please see attached pic, if it works, of the reflector before I fitted it.
                      Apologies for taking so long to get the pics up, I finally have rostered days off work, and actually have to try and not do too much other stuff, that normally takes up most of my time.

Comment

Now here is a different view showing a good overall view of the insulation as fitted to the boiler, and also has the reflector as fitted behind the sight glass.
                        Should also add that I am still enjoying the nice brews that Lusso can make.

Comment

Good work Bullit,

What material is that insulation?

Judging by your pics, you have cut a large piece for the latitude and perhaps two circles to cover the ends?

Am thinking of doing the same for the Miss Silvia and the coretto together with a fire blanket.

Gary at G

Comment

Hi Gary,

The material is "Insulbrite", which is relatively inexpensive and available from Spotlight Stores (tho you might have to find it yourself, when I went to our local one they had no idea what I was after).
                            For further info, have a read of the Boiler Insulation and Noise Damping thread, which is referenced about a page back in this thread.

Comment

Nice one Bullitt. What did you end up using for the water level reflector, a shiny piece of cardboard or something similar?

Now that Ive got a weekend free I think Ill be heading off to get me some insulbrite

Comment

Ive got heaps of insulbrite (asked the wife to get a metre and she bought 5!!!). If your up this way Ash let me know, Ill let you have some. Im also going to try the reflector to see if that improves the water level reading.

Got another project on too, hopefully to use the safety valve hole to T off and put a antivac in. Then the machine will be perfect, well for me anyway.

Overall Im really enjoying the machine, getting good shots, and great milk texturing. The nakid grouphandle is great too!

Comment

Working...
                                X