Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

    Oh yeah forgot to mention I got a naked group handle from Jack and it is great, have been thinking about getting one of the original ones done so I have two nakeds and one original.

    Lacehim, the reflector was actually a redundant aluminum tag from my previous workplace. It had been printed on one side, and was no longer valid, so could not used for the original purpose, and the back side was nicenclean and shiny. It was also relatively thin, so easy to cut to size and shape to fit around the sight glass....and it does improve the visibility of the water level significantly.
    You could also use thin Stainless Steel sheet, but depending on the thickness, it might be harder to shape it and make it fit.
    My first attempt was with some white paper, it wasnt very successful, and I wouldnt recommend cardboard, but if it has the right surface finish it might be OK.

    Comment


    • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

      Thanks Bullitt. Cheers for the photos too!

      I got one handle converted to a nakid, best move I made. Im temped to do the other one too. The spouts are pretty useless really, and its not like you can really split the shots from a double basket.

      I havent used by left group for a while, gave it a flush today and water flew out the hole at the back. Anyone know what causes that? I only had an empty basket in the group but its never done that before

      Comment


      • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

        Originally posted by 725F5D5B5657533E0 link=1265525881/256#256 date=1321704850
        I havent used by left group for a while, gave it a flush today and water flew out the hole at the back. Anyone know what causes that? I only had an empty basket in the group but its never done that before
        Lacehim, thats a small amount of water seeping very slowly above the top seal in the group (probably because of the small scratch in your cylinder wall). When you lift the lever to flush the water is pushed out a small hole just at the back of the group.

        My right group has the same problem - Im sending it to Jack for repair/replacement.

        Sniff

        Comment


        • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

          Originally posted by 4B554D4056554E4F210 link=1265525881/257#257 date=1321732798
          Lacehim, thats a small amount of water seeping very slowly above the top seal in the group (probably because of the small scratch in your cylinder wall). When you lift the lever to flush the water is pushed out a small hole just at the back of the group.
          Not really seeping, it squirts up on top of the cup warmer!

          Comment


          • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

            I meant seeping into the area of the cylinder above the seal. it slowly builds up above the piston and then when you pull the lever down the water is forced out the little hole at the back. Normally the little hole just lets out the air in the cylinder above the piston. :

            Comment


            • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

              Ive just completed an antivac mod that has been very successful.  Ive been living with it for a week now, and I love it.  Turn it on, and come back and make coffee!

              The mod uses standard off the shelf fittings & antivac, and reuses the exisiting safety valve.  Ive posted up details and photos already elsewhere.  Google "Ponte Vecchio Lusso Mods" and you should find it.

              Big thanks to Jack for all this support this year. Merry Christmas all.

              Comment


              • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                i am soon to be a proud owner of a new ponte vecchio lusso care of jack at sorrentina, just waiting on the postman...

                Comment


                • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                  alright, so 24 hours in and im amazed. Ive managed to pull shots from tiny little, coarse 11g baskets up to 17g, fine 2 and a half pull syrupy monsters. freaking amazing. so much scope to play with the finer details.

                  very impressed, very happy. thanks jack

                  Comment


                  • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                    Another happy user, awesome to hear! Let us know how things go after your first week of using it.

                    I think youll be quite happy with the machine and there is a decent amount of info in this thread to help you out with most of the issues that Oz owners have had so far.

                    And yes, Jacks service has been great!

                    Comment


                    • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                      Originally posted by 644B42405768444B44424048404B51250 link=1265525881/40#40 date=1273758026
                      I am so going here..

                      Hooked and none even in Qld to the best of my understanding..
                      Any news on that front!?

                      Comment


                      • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                        so ive settled (for the time being) at somewhere around 14-15g of relatively fine grind with a moderate to light tamp. beans are a SO ethiopian of some sort. for the +1 im serving her a single pull. for me im doing about 2 and taking half for a single espresso that cant be more than about 15g and the other half for a milk drink that resembles a flat white.

                        it seems that to get the 2nd pull you need to be particularly careful with prep and tamp to avoid channelling. i can see a pullman in my not to distant future to improve consistency of basket preparation.

                        last week i had a few quite nice, sweet shots from a coarser, lighter grind and more heavily packed basket. these poured very quickly (1 pull in 10-15 seconds tops) and starting to lighten in colour quite dramatically at the end. not exactly blond, but a second pull would be well and truly blond by the end. interesting, very sweet and drinkable, just a bit light on some of the flavours im after.

                        i still havent quite come to terms with the steam wand. i think its just a case of it being on the left (im used to it being on the right), things being a little more cramped than im used to (though there is certainly enough room) and the reduced time in which to "fix" the texture after ive invariably messed it up. the last few jugs have been near perfect, i just dont quite know what i did to achieve that so its not exactly a repeatable process just yet.

                        great machine though, really loving it so far. looking forward to getting home every day just so i can pull a few shots...

                        Comment


                        • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                          quick query to all the experienced hands out there - how much coffee (grams) do you typically dose? at the moment im having a good deal of success dosing ~15 grams to produce 2 singles in about 2 pulls which im splitting with my partner.

                          she cant seem to hack the doubles and i also notice that im bouncing off the walls for a while after a double too so its just a bit too much.

                          im wondering if this is because im dosing so much? i could change my prep to cut the grams a fair bit (ie, coarsen up and/or tamp lighter) but i feel like the less packed baskets are more prone to short extractions, early blonding, gushers or channeling.

                          not really a problem by any stretch of the imagination, im just interested to hear what everyone else is doing...

                          Comment


                          • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                            Does it come in a single group head version? or just the double? And is there somewhere in Melbourne that I see and/or taste one?

                            Finally, what would guess would be the difference in taste between a lever and a pump machine (broad generalisations ok!)

                            thanks

                            Comment


                            • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                              Originally posted by 0420252628272D242C490 link=1265525881/267#267 date=1327469094
                              Does it come in a single group head version? or just the double? And is there somewhere in Melbourne that I see and/or taste one?

                              Finally, what would guess would be the difference in taste between a lever and a pump machine (broad generalisations ok!)

                              thanks
                              Hi Milo,

                              Not sure whether it will help you, but you can sample from our Bezzera Strega or Izzo Pompeii v any of our pump machines. It may help you make a decision either way.

                              Cheers

                              Chris

                              Comment


                              • Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

                                Originally posted by 313526382D0B393B263A3D3A330B540 link=1265525881/266#266 date=1327455617
                                quick query to all the experienced hands out there - how much coffee (grams) do you typically dose? at the moment im having a good deal of success dosing ~15 grams to produce 2 singles in about 2 pulls which im splitting with my partner.

                                she cant seem to hack the doubles and i also notice that im bouncing off the walls for a while after a double too so its just a bit too much.

                                im wondering if this is because im dosing so much? i could change my prep to cut the grams a fair bit (ie, coarsen up and/or tamp lighter) but i feel like the less packed baskets are more prone to short extractions, early blonding, gushers or channeling.

                                not really a problem by any stretch of the imagination, im just interested to hear what everyone else is doing...
                                I have found that about 16.7g (on my scales), is a good dose for the double basket, and 9.5g is pretty much max for the single basket. Perhaps you should try the single basket if only making a drink for yourself, I have found it works quite well, dont even have to change the grind....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X