Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Milo,

as a broad generalisation for taste differences between a lever and a pump machine, the lever seems to me to bring out more sweeter characteristics of a coffee. Take up Chris offer of trying his levers and comparing the taste to a pump machine, its the best way to find out the differences yourself.

The machine is made in a one group, but I think Jack from Sorrentina coffee is only bringing in the two group ones. Actually having two groups is quite handy, as you dont have to wait for the pressure in the group head to reduce before making the next drink, you just use the other group and by the time youve finished with that group the other is ready to remove 

early_morning_

Im probably dosing in the same range as Bullit, but seeing as I dont measure out the weight of coffee that Im using its a bit difficult to comment!  I base my calculations on the fact that I tend to go through around 220g every 4-5 days, having about 3 espressos/workday.

Comment

One advantage of lever machines that I love is the ability to reduce or increase the pressure directly--and on the current shot.

Sometimes when changing beans, the grind isnt quite right and (for me) speeding up a slow extraction or slowing one that is too fast by changing the pressure gives a better result than not having that option.

Ill never go back to a pump.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 2B2F3C22371123213C20272029114E0 link=1265525881/266#266 date=1327455617
        quick query to all the experienced hands out there - how much coffee (grams) do you typically dose? at the moment im having a good deal of success dosing ~15 grams to produce 2 singles in about 2 pulls which im splitting with my partner.

she cant seem to hack the doubles and i also notice that im bouncing off the walls for a while after a double too so its just a bit too much.

im wondering if this is because im dosing so much? i could change my prep to cut the grams a fair bit (ie, coarsen up and/or tamp lighter) but i feel like the less packed baskets are more prone to short extractions, early blonding, gushers or channeling.

not really a problem by any stretch of the imagination, im just interested to hear what everyone else is doing...
        Suggestion:-Try a ristretto--basically the same amount of good flavours, less bitter, less caffeine.

I routinely use 18.5 gm in my Izzo for a 25-30 ml shot.

Greg

Comment

Hey Ash

Thanks for your comments. I saw your much earlier one and thought Id ask you your thoughts as you seem to have done what i have done on my brain. Until a week ago, i thought the machine of my dreams was a Pavoni Pro or a Isomac Millenium but reading through all the blogs has changed my mind and heading down the PV way.

I will take up the offer to try the different coffees when in Sydney next (pity i didnt know over Xmas as I was there for 2 weeks).

Comment

Another question.

If the stream nozzle is fixed and vertical, how do you go about swirling the milk? Tip the jug?

Comment

im still learning, but im been getting good (but not great) results in several different positions. the fixed wand isnt really a disadvantage, you really dont notice it in practice as there are plenty of good positions available.

also, heaps of steam power helps. i was using my old gaggia classic today teaching the new owner how to get the most out of it and was amazed at how long it takes to stretch the milk compared to the ponte vecchio...

Comment

Originally posted by 674346454B444E474F2A0 link=1265525881/274#274 date=1327569460
                Another question.

If the stream nozzle is fixed and vertical, how do you go about  swirling the milk? Tip the jug?
                The steam nozzle has 4 small holes in it, and doesnt need to be at an angle.  Mine works fine set vertically in the centre of the jug and the milk will swirl around quite well, just in a different pattern to what you might be used to compared to a steam arm with a single hole (single hole steam arms typically do need some angle on the jug). The best way I can describe it is like the milk swirls in 4 directions, one direction from each hole, so it works best for me, if it is vertical and in the centre.

Comment

Ditto the above - no angle necessary.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by 0400130D183E0C0E130F080F063E610 link=1265525881/275#275 date=1327575436
                      plenty of good positions available.
                      ...the best of which being pretty much vertical and close to the centre. I was getting some inconsistent results, largely because i was leaving the wand sitting on the surface for too long as i was accustomed to with my old machine. now, its a short stretch to get the desired volume before 20ºC and then just a deep swirling til i hit 55ºC and im done. any surface imperfections are easily tapped out and im left with very good microfoam

Comment

I think it is time to do some preventive cleaning of the boiler, fortunately our water is relatively soft here, so scale build up is relatively slow, anyway the manual says you can use vinegar. Does anyone know how much to use please? or another easy method?

Comment

Originally posted by 7D4A5353564B4B3F0 link=1265525881/280#280 date=1328774879
                          I think it is time to do some preventive cleaning of the boiler, fortunately our water is relatively soft here, so scale build up is relatively slow, anyway the manual says you can use vinegar. Does anyone know how much to use please? or another easy method?
                          Hi Bullitt - check out Jacks seal replacement / descale thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1307713119

Sniff

Comment

Originally posted by 302E363B2D2E35345A0 link=1265525881/281#281 date=1328784199
                            Originally posted by 7D4A5353564B4B3F0 link=1265525881/280#280 date=1328774879
                            I think it is time to do some preventive cleaning of the boiler, fortunately our water is relatively soft here, so scale build up is relatively slow, anyway the manual says you can use vinegar.  Does anyone know how much to use please? or another easy method?

Hi Bullitt - check out Jacks seal replacement / descale thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1307713119

Sniff
                            Oh Yeah, I completely forgot Jack talked about descaling before changing the seals...

Comment

Hi Bullit, did you work out what to do with the vinegar?

I wonder if anyone can recommend what descaler to buy for Lusso, especially if and where it is available in Adelaide or maybe online

cheers lu

Comment

Just to try and answer my own question I noted in Jacks post on descaling on the changing PV seals thread he made the comment

"I have found descaling the machine can make the seals in pistons feel squeaky, I think it removes some (or all) of the lubricant, and it can even lead to a small drip leak from a group"

Would like to know of others experience and does this create any problems for use of machine?

Comment

Working...
                                X