• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

looking for a single lever folks

Comment

PV lusso can be bought as a single. Dont know why someone would go that way with the Lusso though.

Is there any reason why you would suffer with a two group? An extra $40 worth of gaskets/seals every 5 years seems like a non issue against the fact that you can pull two shots and steam milk at the same time?

Comment

And the 2 group is nice and compact too.

Comment

Originally posted by 766172363534040 link=1265525881/61#61 date=1282700203
          PV lusso can be bought as a single. Dont know why someone would go that way with the Lusso though.

Is there any reason why you would suffer with a two group? An extra $40 worth of gaskets/seals every 5 years seems like a non issue against the fact that you can pull two shots and steam milk at the same time?  
          just thought it would leave a larger footprint, space is at a premium here, but checking the pics it looks ok.
          Originally posted by 6661656A62687D6D6A63040 link=1265525881/62#62 date=1282700801
          And the 2 group is nice and compact too.
          cheers for that. btw can u fit a coffee mug under the spout? link to seller please folks, im seeing double already.

Comment

Sorrentina is listed in the links on the left hand side.

I spoke with Jack today - hes sold out of PV Lussos but hopes to have stock back in about 6-8 weeks, possibly longer.

Sniff

Comment

I recieved my new Ponte Vecchio Lusso a few days ago from Jack at Sorrentina Coffee. A fantastic machine, for those looking for a lever that can be left on all day without having to worry about switching it on and off, on and off, on and off as seems the case with other home espresso levers.

Having had a La Pavoni lever prior to this, along with a Rancilio Silvia and Rocket Giotto, Ive got to say that this machine - simple as it is - produces a great espresso shot. A different style/flavour/mouth feel for sure, but still a great shot. And for those who prefer a milk based drink, dont worry! The steaming ability of this little beauty is amazing. Once up to temp, with false pressure bled off, you can steam easily, well and truly enough for 3 or four lattes. I know, Ive tried! It just produces steam like crazy.

After looking at a few reviews on other forums, I was aware that the build quality is not up there with the best of the conventional style espresso machine (think Silvia etc.), but after living with it for a few days, this isnt much of a concern as the components that matter are all first class. The only real problem I had, was the fit of the outer casing to the front facia of the machine. A little bit skew wiff, but not noticable so. It only becomes an annoyance if you are taking off the casing each day to fiddle with the pstat. Easy way around this - drill an access hole for the pstat!

The machine I recieved from Jack only had this one minor fit and finish blemish from the factory, and definately not anything that detracts from the making of top quality lever espresso. Jack was kind enough to test it out prior to shipping it to me, so he adds that little bit extra buying confidence to the product he sells.

Overall I am very happy with it. It takes up no more space than my Giotto, and because it it less physically imposing actually seems to take less space. Which is weird seeing as its about 10mm wider...

Comment

Thanks Ash, glad to hear youre so happy with the PV. And top marks to Jack for customer service.

I was tempted to buy the PV last year but ended up with a VBM Domobar Jr instead. Completely different machines I know but it seemed the sensible/safe choice at the time.

I still lust over the PV and just bought myself an old La Pavoni I want to restore, this is my first lever machine.

When we eventually remodel the kitchen I want to allow a space for a couple of machines so I can justify a HX & and a lever.

Comment

My Lusso has also arrived and I too want to thank Jack from Sorrentina for his excellent service.

The Lusso is a thing of beauty - I love the symmetry. The steaming power is phenomenal and I now am making true microfoam. The fixed position of the steam pipe I think is a bonus - whilst you probably cant get a jug bigger than 600mls under it, you dont have to worry about moving the nozzle around, you can just leave it in the middle of the jug and let the steam do the work.

My question to other Lusso users: how much are you extracting from a double basket? Ive been sticking to 30mls, but as a result am going through a lot more coffee to make the morning lattes for myself and the missus.

Has anyone extracted more from their double?

Tomorrow I might try getting 50mls from the double basket and see how the flavour changes.

Sniff

Comment

Is there a single group version available?
                    Sound like itd be perfect for my holiday home!

Comment

Im extracting 2 X 15ml from 14gms in a double basket with my PV.

I occasionally sneak a few extra mls if Im making a milk drink for someone else, but I found it much better to use a smaller cup or glass and keep the pours at 2 X 15ml.

Comment

There is a single group, you would have to check with Sorrentina regarding availability. Having said that, I believe the price is similar and the footprint is the same so why bother with a single?

Comment

ah yes, good point..no bother.

Comment

Sniff, at the moment Im just pulling about enough for a ristretto out of each double  

Its taken me about a week to settle down to this, it also helps that I like a ristretto! The grind Im using is about the same as what I used on my Giotto, which surprised me. I was expecting the grind to be a bit finer. But I only use a light tamp with this grind, more of a level and polish really.

I pull and hold the lever for a long pre-infusion (8-12secs), release under control until the first bit of coffe comes out, lower the lever again to re-charge the chamber and release.

Ive been doing a roast every couple of days of various beans to try out over the next week or so, So Im looking forward to trying them out through this machine

Comment

whoo hoo my PVL is on the way ;D

Comment

Thought other PVL owners might like these:

Comment

Working...
                                X