Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Originally posted by 664B494F4243472A0 link=1265525881/87#87 date=1296205068
    AM is going to wait for a visit to inspect.
    Just make sure he doesnt tuck it under his wing on the way out he really NEEDS a lever

With the drip thing a tiny bit of condensation and the odd drip would be normal based on my Pav and more as the seals wear. Best thing to do is drop Jack a line.

Comment

Not a drippy group....just a slightly incontinent hot water tap. ;D ;D

I just leave a teacup under it to catch its occasional drips (and also use the teacup to catch the blonding part of the shots).

Comment

Originally posted by 5750545B53594C5C5B52350 link=1265525881/90#90 date=1296261311
        Best thing to do is drop Jack a line.  
        Will do hes been very good.  I just dont want to bug him every 2 mins with newbie questions.  There might be an issues though so I will email him.

Had a decent play today, showing off my PVL to a friend that dropped by.  Followed the above tips and got some pretty good pours.  Its a great little machine, fun to play about with and steaming no problem.

The crema that I did get didnt hang about long, not like when I used my HX (tried beans roasted last week and yesterday).  Might have to tweak more but as a starter, not bad coffee.  Also got to try out the syphon and it was really nice too.  Slightly over caffinated today!

Oh and just a quick question. I know a few posts said no to leave water in the tank between uses... the water took on a metalic taste. I was just wondering if you can turn the machine off, then drain the tank with the pressure from the water tap? Would this cause any damage to the element?

Comment

I tend to leave water in the tank. Mind you I only put about 1.5 - 2 litres in at a time. This gets me through a few days. Havent found any unexpected metallic flavours creeping in so far.

Comment

I find if I half fill the boiler (using the sight glass), warm up, then draw some water off each group to help warm them, then draw the shots, then draw some more water to clean the groups, that Im getting close to the low water light coming on, so I end up topping up the boiler every day.

Comment

Yes- I havent noticed any metallic taste by following roughly the same routine. I also only half fill the boiler most days- it heats up a lot quicker- and turns over faster.

Every so often I fill the boiler and syphon it out with a tube.

Comment

Awesome machine!

After a bit of practice, I have even mastered the two shots at once and steam milk before they finish completely routine. ;D

On the crema side its fab once dialed in. I am going less fine grind than the pump machine (same beans) and hard tamp. Fine grind is what some are saying but, Fine is a relative term. Based on my testing if you are getting pale and thin crema maybe try a coarser setting. The coffee will likely taste overextracted too.
                Todays shots were dark,mottled and most importantly very tasty.

Go PVL!

Comment

Theres a steadily growing group of us Lusso users!

Im curious - how much are people extracting from a double basket?

From weighing a double holds roughly 15grams, and Im just not sure how much to pull out of it - at least 30mls but Im thinking I could probably squeeze an extra 10mls out.

Anyone else got a rough guide?

Sniff

Comment

Framey you wouldnt happen to allow other CS member to come and play with your PVL

Comment

• Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Hi. Just need a bit of advice about my lever.

Ive got some new seals coming soon, but my right group is slipping really badly. Totally unusable at the moment. Is there anything I can do or do the seals need changed???

I used the same dose and grind in both portafilters, left side pour was very nice but the right group kept slipping. No crema. Would any coffee be forced back into the tank?

Comment

It is the seals- it seems PV had a batch of seals that were ever so slightly too small. They have sent me out replacements which I hope to have this coming week some time. There is a fix you could do in the meantime but I cant guarantee a 100% solution. You can remove the piston and place a foot or so of white teflon plumbers tape in the groove the seals sit in. This bulks them out enough to make them seal again. But if you can I would wait for the new seals to arrive.

When this happens a tiny amount of water can get drawn back into the boiler.

When I get the seals I will replace the ones in my machine and post some photos here showing how I do it. It is tricky the first time- but once you have done it a few times it gets quite fast and easy.

Comment

Thanks Jack. Im being patient, and to be honest I havent used the right group since the last slip. The left drips but it usable. I was doing a few coffees and thought I would give it a go and it slipped badly.

I will just have to be extra patient until the seals arrive. Dont see the point in opening it all up just for a quick fix and Ill probably need your how to guide to do it anyway.

Im getting a really nice coffee out of it now. I think a clean of my grinder helped, and a change of coffee. Using Kates special blend from Pioneer. Very nice.

Comment

Lots of photos would be a great resource Jack. Especially seeing as its something most owners will have to do at some stage anyway.

Lacehim, I also had a revelation after I cleaned my grinder. Amazing what it did for the PNG Wahgi AA that Im drinking at the moment. So much more body came out, I was pleasantly surprised. I should get up to Pioneer again. They have some wonderful coffee up there.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A78630B0 link=1265525881/102#102 date=1300079228
                              Lots of photos would be a great resource Jack. Especially seeing as its something most owners will have to do at some stage anyway.
                              I will be taking many photos, manly so I can put it back together again the same way, when I do mine. Im happy to post them up for everyone to see.

Bought a 150mm G clamp, hope that will be okay size wise. Ive read a few tips like heating the seals before putting them on.

Originally posted by 4A78630B0 link=1265525881/102#102 date=1300079228
                              I should get up to Pioneer again.
                              Ash, if your up this way PM me. Would love to have a coffee at Pioneer and chat to you about your PVL experience.

Comment

A few observations, Lacehim.

1) Have you kept an eye on your boiler pressure gauge ?
                                * My PV pressure slowly crept up as the machine settled in, with the result the lever started to "slip" on occasion. This happened more with the left lever than the right.

2) Some PVs come from the factory with the pressure showing 1.5 bars on the gauge. Many users have reported much better results with the pressurestat altered to 1.2 to a max of 1.3 bar.

In fact, I believe Vanellis in the US have taken to checking their PVs and adjusting down to 1.2 bar when necessary before delivery.

Some US users are even claiming to obtain better taste results as low as .9bar pressure.

My PV slowly crept up to 1.5 bars over the 8 months Ive had it, with a noticeable increase in lever slippage.

Ive recently re adjusted the pressurestat back to just on 1.3 bar with a noticeable "in the cup" improvement and also completely eliminated any lever slip.

Comment

Working...
                                X