Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy ?

Having serious purchase thoughts about an Elektra Micro Casa Lever

I have the please / problem of three locations (office, home, holiday house) to have machines. Office is sorted but I need equipment for the other two, and this really appeals to me for my coffee when Ive got time at home to just get lost in the process.

Or am I completely delusional and better off spending the best part of $2k on a more modern device.............

Re: Am I crazy ?

Read the following before making a decision....

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?module=Pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid =39

Comment

Well that article puts it straight down the line!, dont often see that! (other than CS) great find dennis [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Comment

Originally posted by 696D4B525257485F503E0 link=1266878906/2#2 date=1266882979
        Well that article puts it straight down the line!, dont often see that! (other than CS) great find dennis  
        Ditto..........machine certainly looks the part but would you bother :-/ Personally....no.

Spend the money on a pump machine, my 2 bobs worth.

Good luck with your decision.

Steve.

Comment

Well thats plenty to think about........ I do also buy english sports cars that leak, stop, have electrical issues and no air conditioning... Im used to lots of pointless fiddling about for small moments of satisfaction, but sometimes coffee just has to be NOW, so all points are worthy of consideration.

Will let you know what I decide, thanks heaps for the input (and the article !)

Comment

Hi Peter

Not all Lever machines are like this !

If you do want a Lever machine, look for a commercial spring Lever machine, designed to operate all day with minimal effort and without overheating.

If you want a new one youll be up for $3.5K+ though (eg Bezzera B2000AL 1GR)

Good luck !

Cheers
            Simon

Comment

Originally posted by 362C282A2B28202927450 link=1266878906/5#5 date=1266886056
              Not all Lever machines are like this !

If you do want a Lever machine, look for a commercial spring Lever machine,
              Agree!

Comment

Sorrentina Coffee have the Ponte Vecchio LUSSO
                I dont know if this machine pushes your buttons but its worth a look  

http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/products/ponte-vecchio-lusso-2-dual-group-lever-espresso-machine-classic-design

KK

Comment

I am totally biased of course...but you should go for a lever!!!

Just maybe not the Elektra?

As per KK above, check out the Lusso. Or if you have the money, a commercial lever - just make sure you invite me around for a coffee!

Nothing immerses you in the sheer pleasure like a lever.

Comment

We did this a while back about the Elektra and lever machines are NOT for everyone. They are touchy in some ways and finicky but are capable of some great shots and milk steaming without waiting like with non HX machines.

If you wanted easy then I guess you may as well go for a fully auto. If you like the bling and can live with the quirks then do it.

My little Pav is a delight to use flick it on in the mornings and make a coffee after 15-20 minutes. Different if you want to punch out more than 3 at a stretch due to the heat build up issues. But for one or two quick easy and a nice bit of bling to have on the bench with no noisy vibe pumps to contend with : So one of the questions is do you need more coffees than that at a stretch or not?

Also as above commercial levers are a whole different ball game as mentioned above.

LEVERS LOVERS RULE

Comment

Yeah and thats the rub I think. As I say I have a pump dual boiler thing in the office and its great, pumps out coffees all day. At home (city home) I can see the bling working. Theres only me, and I only make coffee at night or on weekends when I have time and the need. two coffees would mean company and more than three would be a huge party at my place lol.

I also like the look of that semi commercial jobbie Kosmo posted. It probably suits my holiday place quite well. More drinkers, more entertaining and more users. I might do that first I ythink and see how I get into the whole lever thing, and if I get hooked then the blingster might get a run at home, if not, back to the semi auto style.

Again, thanks for the encouragement, discouragement and general comments. It helps.

Cheers.

Comment

Love the title of this topic and the quote

Originally posted by 04312031260B170B063B2727540 link=1266878906/0#0 date=1266878906
                        .................................Or am I completely delusional and better off spending the best part of $2k on a more modern device.............  
                        Havent read the other replies, but here is my honest opinion:

Sorry but yes (am I crazy)

Dont do it.

You will do much better paying the same money on farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better espresso machines not relying on bling to try and look like they can brew up a good coffee, that will be far easier to operate, entertain more people at your dinner parties, will be heaps more reliable and cost less money in service over time.

.....actually I did see some of the above posts after a quick scan, and hope this reply will meet the same expectation of being "straight down the line"  

Comment

Originally posted by 6C5948594E637F636E534F4F3C0 link=1266878906/0#0 date=1266878906

I have the please / problem of three locations (office, home, holiday house) to have machines. Office is sorted but I need equipment for the other two, and this really appeals to me for my coffee when Ive got time at home to just get lost in the process.

Or am I completely delusional and better off spending the best part of $2k on a more modern device...........
                          My opinion, youre best off trying to find anotther $800 or so and springing for the Elektra Semiautomatica.

Its a proper HX machine, and pulls shots that compete with any machine available at any budget.

The Levas can pull great shots, bit not consistently.

The Semi has the beauty of the Leva with the convenience of an E61

Comment

Originally posted by 373A2D2530385F0 link=1266878906/12#12 date=1267006543

My opinion, youre best off trying to find anotther $800 or so and springing for the Elektra Semiautomatica.

Its a proper HX machine, and pulls shots that compete with any machine available at any budget.
                            The Levas can pull great shots, bit not consistently.

The Semi has the beauty of the Leva with the convenience of an E61
                            All of the above - almost.

Peter -  Unlike other opinions here the Microcasaalever can and will give you consistant shots, its just that it can be a steep learning curve getting there. I think the trick is not to have it as your primary machine although I do know people who just have a lever.  

Dont let others tell you its not worth it because after you get over the initial frustration of using this Italian beauty it can be a personal and rewarding experience. And there is bling and there is bling. E61 stainless blingy boxes everywhere you look gets a bit hows ya father after a while. I know they pull great shots and they look nice and all that but there are other machines that will as well.

Have a look on HomeBarista and CoffeeGeek. It will take you a lifetime to read all the stuff on these Elektras. My next purchase will be a Microcasa semi-auto...just as a friend for my lever you understand. I just love these machines and the semi is very easy to use.

Frankly, I believe you can never have too many coffee machines in the house but Im a bit loopy so my wife tells me. Whatever you get just enjoy the journey. And if you do ever get a Lektra lever or semi youll find yourself smiling every time you look at it. I love my Faema but its just not quite the same.

lungo vivo la leva fabbrica!

Comment

Must apologise, you raise some good points and I could have been clearer.

On the consistency thing, a user who is in tune with the machine can definitely get fantastic shots out of the Leva day after day.

I was more referring to managing the heat in the grouphead after 3 or 4 shots in a row. (Say the scenario where you need to belt out a few at a party or something).

This is where the HX model is more suited.

Comment

Working...
                              X